Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Hard Drive: $59.99 FS

It's a 7200.11, one of the worst drive series from Seagate, I am surprised they are still being sold. I would avoid at all cost.

I'm 2/2 on failures. One of my replacements has been great, still need to RMA the second one. I think I'll pass...

Yipes, 7200.11, run for the hills, don't look back, keep running. I'd massage my schlong on a cheese grater before buying one of these. :eek:

I have a 7200.11 drive I bought two and a half years ago, never flashed the firmware, still runs great. Am I just lucky? :p

I have a 7200.11 drive I bought two and a half years ago, never flashed the firmware, still runs great. Am I just lucky? :p

I've had two running in a RAID 1 array for backup for 8 months. Never flashed and never had an issu either.

I have about 8 of these w/o a single failure.....

ALso: if you don't like these, Egg has 1.5TB wd blacks on sale for $99.99

Last edited:
^^ I guess you must just be lucky. Looking at reviews and post all over the internet, it looks like buying this is a gamble. Anyone interested in this should just get the 1TB hitachi @ Amazon for $10 less.

I've bought 9 of these so far and haven't had a single failure. I only had two of them that needed to be flashed. The rest of them came with newer firmwares. That being said, I still wouldn't recommend these drives.

I think a good portion of the failures for these drives can be attributed to how they are shipped. Regardless of where you get them from, they don't have any packaging to speak of. You just end up getting a bare drive wrapped in plastic bubble wrap and thrown in a box with packing peanuts. Poor packaging + crappy delivery people in your area = multiple drive failures.

In contrast, last week I bought 4x2TB Samsung drives from Newegg and the packaging was much better. The Samsung drives actually come in a plastic case. This may not seem like a big deal, but when you buy multiple drives from Newegg they tend to just stack the drives in a 2x2, wrap them in bubble wrap, and then throw them in a styrofoam holder so they can't move. If the person that packages the order up doesn't place any bubble wrap between the drives, then the two drives will just bounce against each other the whole trip.

This may not seem like a big deal, but when you buy multiple drives from Newegg they tend to just stack the drives in a 2x2, wrap them in bubble wrap, and then throw them in a styrofoam holder so they can't move. If the person that packages the order up doesn't place any bubble wrap between the drives, then the two drives will just bounce against each other the whole trip.

I order ~10 hard drives/week from them. Every wrapped pair I got had at least 1 layer of bubble wrap between the drives, then 2-3 layers wrapped around the pair. They never bumped up directly with each other. Guess they love me lol. :p

Back