Newegg.com Deals 9/8

Newegg Webmaster

Official Newegg Deals Maker

COMPUTER HARDWARE DEALS

ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Includes Nvidia Free Mafia 2 Game Coupon)
$504.99 - $15.00IR - $20.00MIR - $29.40 promo code "HARDOCP98A" (6%) = $440.59 with $1.99 shipping
Promo Expires on 9/15/10

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$139.99 - $20.00IR - $20.00 promo code "HARDOCP98B" = $99.99 with free shipping
Promo Expires on 9/15/10

Cavalry CAHDD 2TB USB 3.0 Black 2-bay Dock CAHDD330020T01
$149.99 - $20.00MIR - $10.00 promo code "HARDOCP98C" = $119.99 with free shipping
Promo Expires on 9/15/10

:eek: Prices subject to change without notice.

Last edited:
That drive is a 2tb Hitachi 7200 rpm drive with the dock combo in case someone wants to know.

What is with newegg posting their deals a day after the day they say they are for?

lmao no kidding.:rolleyes:

Are there any known problems with 2gb drives? I know when Seagate first jumped to 1gb wow there were problems. This drive can knock out 4 drives in my system I believe and cut back on space and heat.

Not really that WD is pretty solid. Raid is effy but for a single drive its pretty good, but it is 5400 rpm...

Not really that WD is pretty solid. Raid is effy but for a single drive its pretty good, but it is 5400 rpm...

5400 rpm is a deal breaker for me. the slowest thing in my rig is the drives in the first place..

ewww didn't even follow the link to see. Ok well theres that then.

Is the green the 5400 RPM? If so, how badly does that hurt its performance?

A 5400 drive most people would steer away from just because the 7200 is hardly if any more in cost. Those that do get the slower drives generally just use them as storage of things that aren't accessed much.

the 7200 is $50 more than this promo price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...36456&cm_re=2_tb_black-_-22-136-456-_-Product

the speed gain isn't worth it. probably a max gain of 20mbs the green is fine as a storage drive and the cache makes up for the rpm.

Look at the regular pricing. Its only $40 difference. If you want to store 2tb of crap then the 5400 is fine for you. If your wanting to access the drive on a regular basis or use it as a game install drive then its not for you.

I've seen the black version on sale many times for the same price as the green one now. So its up to those if they want to wait really and if what their use of the drive is.

Look at the regular pricing. Its only $40 difference. If you want to store 2tb of crap then the 5400 is fine for you. If your wanting to access the drive on a regular basis or use it as a game install drive then its not for you.

I've seen the black version on sale many times for the same price as the green one now. So its up to those if they want to wait really and if what their use of the drive is.

the 2tb black for $99 When? the avg price for it is about $175 and newegg has a promo on it for 150 right now.

I can tell you in Samsung drives that the difference in speed from a 1tb f1 7200 to a 1tb F2 5400 is around 16 mbs. in hdtune.

but you can pick up the green and 2 7200rpm 250 gb drives and raid 0 them and come out way ahead for around the price of black.

the 2tb black for $99 When? the avg price for it is about $175 and newegg has a promo on it for 150 right now.

I can tell you in Samsung drives that the difference in speed from a 1tb f1 7200 to a 1tb F2 5400 is around 16 mbs. in hdtune.

but you can pick up the green and 2 7200rpm 250 gb drives and raid 0 them and come out way ahead for around the price of black.
Numerous times. Newegg, Tiger, Comp USA. etc. Its not rocket science. Its only that if you have the money to burn and need something now. If your willing to hold out a few weeks then you will see the black somewhere cheap again. :rolleyes:

Numerous times. Newegg, Tiger, Comp USA. etc. Its not rocket science. Its only that if you have the money to burn and need something now. If your willing to hold out a few weeks then you will see the black somewhere cheap again. :rolleyes:

I have never once seen the 2TB WD Black at 99 dollars. And I've been trying to find a good 2TB HDD for the past three months and have been looking daily for deals.

I have never once seen the 2TB WD Black at 99 dollars. And I've been trying to find a good 2TB HDD for the past three months and have been looking daily for deals.

The cheapest I've seen the 2TB WD Black was $140 earlier this week.

Is the green the 5400 RPM? If so, how badly does that hurt its performance?

I use a Samsung 5400 1TB drive with my DirecTV receiver as an external DVR extension and it works fine. I have over 100 movies and TV shows on it so far.

I use a Samsung 5400 1TB drive with my DirecTV receiver as an external DVR extension and it works fine. I have over 100 movies and TV shows on it so far.

Yeah, for a reliable, quiet, efficient movie drive this WD 2TB for $100 is a good buy for sure.

So playing media from this Caviar Green wouldn't be a problem? HD content of course. I wouldn't e playing games from it, just playing media from my HTPC (Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc)

I jumped on the 2TB Green Drive. It will be a great drive to store my movies and reduce the clutter in my case.

I currently have a 640mb Caviar Black, and 2x 1TB Caviar Green for storage.

O, I ordered today @ 4pm, and I am getting it 2morrow :D

So playing media from this Caviar Green wouldn't be a problem? HD content of course. I wouldn't e playing games from it, just playing media from my HTPC (Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc)

Not a problem at all.

Thats a hot deal on the WD black as well. $150 is a very low price for the drive. Ive only seen it cheaper once.

Wouldn't be one bit of a problem, even over your network. These are very efficient 500GB platter drives. 5400 rpm is only part of the equation. With 64MB cache and very modern technology on the inside, these drives won't seem slow for media playback at all. In fact, I would prefer slower spinning cooler drives for stuff I want to store long term. I am thinking of putting a couple of these in external casings, but most of the eSATA enclosures only support 1TB per drive. I want to use two enclosures with two eSATA ports to just do the RAID 1 on the motherboard. I have had ZERO luck using port multipliers, with the exception of my X58 motherboard, which I don't need the redundant and removable backup storage on anyways.

And I'm not going to put an X58 motherboard in my home server/HTPC ... :rolleyes:

Back