Newegg + APO shipping is a freaking joke!

sh0rty

[H]ard|Gawd
This is probably more a soapbox post, but wanted the Newegg reps to see it as the customer service team response is disappointing once again. I have been using newegg for almost 10+ years as they used to be the only ones shipping overseas to Military(APO). They are now charging crazy shipping fee's and saying it is the shipping company that drives it and they have nothing to do with it. That is complete BS. I just tried to order a set of ear bud headphones just today and shipping was $11. I thought well I might as well order another pair...then another $5 to ship was added.

I have contacted CS agents and the same response...I will forward to management, but with a large military audience in here and I am sure I am not the only one using an APO they need to know the impact. It is complete BS to give a resident living anywhere in the US free shipping, but overcharge me. Ridiculous.

BTW the ear-buds weigh .03 oz and shipping weight is 1lb and according to USPS website....priority mail is $5 and 2lbs, both packages is $8. Sad to me that the way to makeup some lost shipping costs is through the military.

I know this sounds petty, but the reason I don't order new cases or power supplies is shipping is usually more, if not almost equal to the price of the item. Newegg is losing a customer.....Amazon/TD here I come.

Last edited:
Why does a bunch of place's not support our troops like they should . IMO shipping to Troops over seas should be close or if not free. they protect us why not give them something in return . I guess USA takes troops for granted?

When will these fools learn.

Edit: the only reason i say this is my dad is over sea's and he is retired military and no discount's and costs alot of money to ship the basic hygiene stuff he needs like clothes/deodorant/ tooth glue for false teeth / ect ect.
And yes i agree , Prices in everything have went up stupid high on everything!

Last edited:
i haven't ordered anything yet form newegg, but it sucks to hear, i have ordered a lot of stuff from amazon though, im stationed in South Korea, and the turn around to get stuff from amazon shipped for me to pick it up is like 5-7 days its pretty fast.

but if thats the case with newegg, i guess ill have the stuff sent to my moms house then have her mail it out to me

POST HAS BEEN REDACTED

Please, look at this map of where US military bases are located. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/globalmilitarism58_14.jpg

If you want NewEgg to deliver to each and every base in Europe, the Middle East, the UK, Australia, and Japan, as well as random places like the Marshal Islands, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and Guantanamo Bay, and you want NewEgg to do all of this free of charge, please let me remind you of something:

It is not a corporation's priority to do something nice for American troops, its priority is to make as much money as possible.

OK my response came off really one-sided so let me also add that I know, it sucks to have to pay high shipping on stuff online, sorry. But IMHO I don't think they are charging you more than it will cost to ship it where you are. At least I want proof before believing that NewEgg is trying to boost its bottom line by marking up its shipping more for troops than US residents. That goes beyond making money, it's unethical IMO, so strong assertions deserve strong evidence.

Last edited:
i haven't ordered anything yet form newegg, but it sucks to hear, i have ordered a lot of stuff from amazon though, im stationed in South Korea, and the turn around to get stuff from amazon shipped for me to pick it up is like 5-7 days its pretty fast.

but if thats the case with newegg, i guess ill have the stuff sent to my moms house then have her mail it out to me

If you do that then you are in essence paying to ship it twice. As long as you know the exact item you want I would shop around. Newegg used to be the only company basically and the shipping was pretty reasonable and fast! Not sure what happened....maybe we are not as large of an audience, but still BS if you ask me. As long as I know the item I want, I look at all places and that used to be Newegg first, but that wont happen until I return to US soil, but by then I might be a loyal customer elsewhere. I started this thread so someone would hear or listen and hit a larger audience. I would say I am more disspointed than anything. I mean when they advertise FREE shipping specials...it does not pertain to us...we are excluded. It is just weak in my opinion and I hear where both of you are coming from! I am on my 15th year overseas from all over; Portugal, S. Korea, German (twice), Japan and then the countless deployments. If a company wont ship APO then they lost me for good, but this overpricing is right on the ledge.

Please, look at this map of where US military bases are located. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/globalmilitarism58_14.jpg

If you want NewEgg to deliver to each and every base in Europe, the Middle East, the UK, Australia, and Japan, as well as random places like the Marshal Islands, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and Guantanamo Bay, and you want NewEgg to do all of this free of charge, please let me remind you of something:

It is not a corporation's priority to do something nice for American troops, its priority is to make as much money as possible.

I hear what you are saying, but they are only paying to ship to the port so New York via USPS mail is the cost...after that it is on mil air. Shipping to an APO costs the same as shipping to the lower 48 states. In contrast if they can ship to you stateside for free, they why not the military port. I am willing to pay I just dont think that I should have to pay more than it costs the USPS...it is like an over the top fee. Obviously free is better ;), but I think what they want me to pay is sometimes too high.

When they ship APO, do they have to use USPS? Because I was really curious about this so I went on Newegg just to see a shipping quote on say, a computer case. The free 3 day shipping is through UPS. While all other options cost money. USPS was not an option in the quote at all.

I think Newegg cut a deal with UPS to offer the free shipping, but at the same time UPS does not ship to APOs. I guess it really depends on the relationship between Newegg and USPS to offer the shipping discounts. For all I know, maybe its the USPS who could be offering free shipping to APOs being a government agency and all.

When they ship APO, do they have to use USPS? Because I was really curious about this so I went on Newegg just to see a shipping quote on say, a computer case. The free 3 day shipping is through UPS. While all other options cost money. USPS was not an option in the quote at all.

I think Newegg cut a deal with UPS to offer the free shipping, but at the same time UPS does not ship to APOs. I guess it really depends on the relationship between Newegg and USPS to offer the shipping discounts. For all I know, maybe its the USPS who could be offering free shipping to APOs being a government agency and all.

Yes, they have to use USPS or I can ship internationally, but that is off the charts expensive and since it will come commercially I will have to pay taxes, etc. Of the two options USPS is hands down cheaper. You are right, maybe they cut a deal....I just know that the simple LITTLE earbuds I was going to buy was going to cost $15 to ship. Crazy in my head...

OK guys, here's some important info:

NewEgg only ships the package to a port within the US, after that the delivery is handled by the USPS. In other words NewEgg is asking $16 to ship an item within the CONUS, and it could qualify for $5 flat rate, easy.

OP you make a great point and you're probably getting shortchanged by Newegg. That sucks, sorry. :(

OK guys, here's some important info:

NewEgg only ships the package to a port within the US, after that the delivery is handled by the USPS. In other words NewEgg is asking $16 to ship an item within the CONUS, and it could qualify for $5 flat rate, easy.

OP you make a great point and you're probably getting shortchanged by Newegg. That sucks, sorry. :(

Exactly my point...thanks for the post! Again I got all fired up about ear-buds so imagine something with some real weight to it.

Why does a bunch of place's not support our troops like they should . IMO shipping to Troops over seas should be close or if not free. they protect us why not give them something in return . I guess USA takes troops for granted?

When will these fools learn.

Edit: the only reason i say this is my dad is over sea's and he is retired military and no discount's and costs alot of money to ship the basic hygiene stuff he needs like clothes/deodorant/ tooth glue for false teeth / ect ect.
And yes i agree , Prices in everything have went up stupid high on everything!

I've come to understand that every time someone tells me "thank you for your service" or "I support our troops," it's just a cheap phrase that people say.

When I was in Korea I wanted to build a new system, but ordering a case would have had me paying more in shipping charges. At the time, Newegg was about the only place that would ship to APO. I contacted them and they told me it was due to the fact that all APO orders had to be done by hand. This is why it was more expensive.

Another example of how underfunding and cutting back USPS hurts the people. Aw well, I'm sure the free market will devise a cheaper and better solution.

If you really think they are just making money on shipping, why not order it and ship to a friend or family member in the states for free shipping, and have that friend or family member ship it to you if you believe it to be cheaper?

If you really think they are just making money on shipping, why not order it and ship to a friend or family member in the states for free shipping, and have that friend or family member ship it to you if you believe it to be cheaper?

It is, I do that with a number of items. Best Buy and Amazon charge normal shipping rates to APOs though, so I typically stick with them if I can.

Shippers also don't have to use USPS to get it to the APO, FedEx has smart post which ships it to NY/SF where they hand it over to the Post Office for final delivery.

It is, I do that with a number of items. Best Buy and Amazon charge normal shipping rates to APOs though, so I typically stick with them if I can.

Shippers also don't have to use USPS to get it to the APO, FedEx has smart post which ships it to NY/SF where they hand it over to the Post Office for final delivery.

"Smart Post" is anything but "smart". But is next to free, so you get what you don't pay for.

I'll never shop at newegg again after how they treated me during my last build. On the other hand Amazon is freaking awesome.

This is what I am talking about.....If Best buy and Amazon can charge normal shipping why cant newegg? Shipping via USPS is not supper shitty, but not the best. I have received items in 4-5 days before, but if not USPS priority...who knows when you will get it. 4-8weeks is what they quote.

"Smart Post" is anything but "smart". But is next to free, so you get what you don't pay for.

Never had any issues with it, usually gets to Europe within a week.

This is what I am talking about.....If Best buy and Amazon can charge normal shipping why cant newegg? Shipping via USPS is not supper shitty, but not the best. I have received items in 4-5 days before, but if not USPS priority...who knows when you will get it. 4-8weeks is what they quote.

I did have an issue with Best Buy sending a magic mouse regular mail and my mac book air priority on the same order, got the air in a week and it took 8 weeks for the mouse. Amazon always sends priority and now that I have prime, it's all free, definitely the way to go.

. Amazon always sends priority and now that I have prime, it's all free, definitely the way to go.

Hard to argue with that....been researching since original post in thread. I am little hung up on the annual fee, but still considering as Amazon has always sent with quickness.

I never shop at newegg anymore, they way the package their HD with bubble wrap and not secured in a box, made me take my business else where. Since I'm a student I got prime membership for 40 bucks, love their shipping and access to their movie data base.

Newegg needs to step their game up.

Anyone that has an apo should NOT use Newegg. They will charge you insane rates to ship and it won't be priority. Usps will put it on boat and hopefully you get your package within two months. If possible use Amazon. They will not charge you shipping and it will be sent priority. If you live in Italy expect it to get to your apo box within 10 day with Amazon.

Ya... Ive tried to order some stuff from newegg but the prices are insane to my APO.

Another example of how underfunding and cutting back USPS hurts the people. Aw well, I'm sure the free market will devise a cheaper and better solution.

What idiots don't realize is that using USPS drastically increases the cost of logistics and support. When you ship a high volume of merchandise, getting so many lost/damaged packages is gonna hurt. Not to mention USPS tracking and APIs are totally a joke.

If USPS isn't bad enough for you, multiply that by 10x you get military post office.... Good luck filing a claim/complaint to them.. IMO it can't be an option for business if delivery is not guaranteed (oops your package got shipped to another base, someone else picked up your package, why there are holes on the package.....sure you can file a claim, fill in the paperwork by hand and someone may look into it in the next 10 years)

The real world experience is, about 1/3 of packages arrived damaged, some failed to arrive within 5 weeks (priority mail). I can't really imagine how a business can handle this much hassle of returns/refunds

Last edited:
Back