Newegg AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core $80 Free Shipping

fireburster

[H]ard|Gawd
stole this from SD but it looks like a good deal.

subtract $15 with coupon code AMD21015 for a total of $80 with free shipping.

I have been thinking of upgrading now that i have been ripping more dvds to mkv.

is this chip with the TLB problem?
You probably won't run into it unless you use virtualization loads on an OS that doesn't work around the bug. The bigger problem is the default behavior on current patches of Windows, which will force the TLB fix and rob performance. You'll need to run one of the TLB patch override utilities at each boot. Plus the 9600 overclocks poorly if you planned on doing that.

Good deal for the price though. I don't need it, but i'd definitely bite when the price drops again. ;)

Dang thanks for posting guys. I have been out of the loop to long on processors and didnt know any of this other then newegg comments and i know better then to trust them.

they run 64 bit operating systems fine.. dont make false claims

a few stupid reviews on newegg does not = this processor does not work with windows 64 bit operating systems.

Iam pretty sure Kyle tested these processors in a 64 bit operating system in his initial review.

not to mention this processor has been sold by oems in 64 bit configs for months and i highly doubt they all shipped broken.

These chips won't run 64-bit OSes either.

um, yes they do, just fine, you dont think if AMD released a CPU that didnt work with WIndows 64 (while it is advertised to work) it would be so wide spread that AMD would of gone under...

um, yes they do, just fine, you dont think if AMD released a CPU that didnt work with WIndows 64 (while it is advertised to work) it would be so wide spread that AMD would of gone under...

QUOTE=AmongTheChosenX;1033742537]they dont?[/QUOTE]

TLB bug plus a few others. I would stay FAR away from this chip if you plan on using Vista x64.

There is a well documented issue where in vista 64 these chips will BSOD freuqently. It seems to be a batch issue as most people who have been able to get an RMA seem to have better luck, however getting AMD to RMA the chip, unless they can recreate the BSOD when they recieve the chip back they likley will just return the same defective chip.

It was like pulling teeth to get AMD to replace my chip with this issue,

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=319&threadid=90533&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=1

It is a fairly common issue with the 9x00 chips. AMD confirms they are aware of the issue and believe it may be a driver issue with vista x64 as the same chip will be completly stable under 32bit.

The strange thing is that i could run Prime95 or any other app that would tax the CPU as a burn in and it would run rock solid for days, as soon as the machine started sitting idle the machine would start throwing random BSOD errors about a clock interrupt was not recieved on a secondary processor.

I've never had the TLB bug cause any problems. I do have the fix turned off. I run all 4 cores for 8 hours a day at 100%. I use vista 64. I've never had a single crash, BSOD, or lockup on this computer ever.

It has an essentially clean install of vista 64 sp1. I guess if you have the same parts and OS version as mine, you should be just fine.

LOL @ raging [H] trolls. Valium?

Many users have reported their 1st gen Phenoms not functioning properly in 64-bit. I know this, because I own one of them. Not all of them are affected, but some are. But of course, dajet, you knew this, since You Know Everything.

Seems pretty hot for a quad core CPU. Obviously not for everyone, but if you need something cheap, here it is.

LOL @ raging [H] trolls. Valium?

Many users have reported their 1st gen Phenoms not functioning properly in 64-bit. I know this, because I own one of them. Not all of them are affected, but some are. But of course, dajet, you knew this, since You Know Everything.

in 64-bit....windows ? xp ? vista ? all os's ? please advise.

stole this from SD but it looks like a good deal.

subtract $15 with coupon code AMD21015 for a total of $80 with free shipping.

I have been thinking of upgrading now that i have been ripping more dvds to mkv.
thanks for the link

sounds like a pretty no it all answer and it also says they ALL wont work. so lets try and keep our comments into perspective.

Oooh so I forgot to put "necessarily" in there. I was being cynical. One post after that I clarified, and wrote:

Many of them give CLOCK_INTERRUPT BSODS in Vista 64.

And it's spelled, "know."

Back