Newegg $599 DELL S2716DG 27” 2560 x 1440 144Hz Gaming Monitor with G-Sync

wondering how good this is. I tried the IPS gsync acer. I loved gsync, but the monitor had a lot of QA issues and some color issues.

wondering how good this is. I tried the IPS gsync acer. I loved gsync, but the monitor had a lot of QA issues and some color issues.

It sounds like this Dell unit has the same TN panel as the OG Swift. As bad as the Swift was dinged for QA issues, it sounds like the IPS Au Optronics panel being used in that IPS Acer, Asus MG279Q and PG279Q is a lot more hit or miss, even shipping with high frequency of dead pixels. And god forbid you have to deal with CS, Asus is apparently awful even though they state 3 year "premium" replacement.

Dell on the other hand, always have been super impressive from a QA standpoint on their U-series Ultrasharps and their RMA/warranty is excellent as well, generally cross-ship with free return label.

I am strongly in the market for a 1440p 144hz-165hz 27" monitor g-sync is a welcome plus. I had been looking at BenQ as my primary selection with the new asus IPS 165hz as a consideration. Should I scoop on this or does BenQ have any offerings that are better? Hear lotta bad stories about QC and customer service with asus.

Looks like BenQ's equivalent, correct me if I'm wrong, is the BenQ XL2730Z. Which offers Adaptive Sync, Free Sync. I'm using gtx 970, may end up 970 sli or a 980 ti. Does free sync offer any appeal for me? Would the $100 more be worth getting the Dell? How do these 2 compare?

It sounds like this Dell unit has the same TN panel as the OG Swift. As bad as the Swift was dinged for QA issues, it sounds like the IPS Au Optronics panel being used in that IPS Acer, Asus MG279Q and PG279Q is a lot more hit or miss, even shipping with high frequency of dead pixels. And god forbid you have to deal with CS, Asus is apparently awful even though they state 3 year "premium" replacement.

Dell on the other hand, always have been super impressive from a QA standpoint on their U-series Ultrasharps and their RMA/warranty is excellent as well, generally cross-ship with free return label.

my dell is pixel perfect and I only had to order 1. good luck buying a swift and getting a clean one without multiple exchanges

I am strongly in the market for a 1440p 144hz-165hz 27" monitor g-sync is a welcome plus. I had been looking at BenQ as my primary selection with the new asus IPS 165hz as a consideration. Should I scoop on this or does BenQ have any offerings that are better? Hear lotta bad stories about QC and customer service with asus.

Looks like BenQ's equivalent, correct me if I'm wrong, is the BenQ XL2730Z. Which offers Adaptive Sync, Free Sync. I'm using gtx 970, may end up 970 sli or a 980 ti. Does free sync offer any appeal for me? Would the $100 more be worth getting the Dell? How do these 2 compare?

if you're using nvidia cards you only benefit with g-sync

i had 4 of those acer monitors and they were all shit. dell is MUCH better unless you just can't stand a TN panel

For someone who primarily games but also does appreciate a beautiful picture and does some digital media work as a hobby (and is currently using a 25" 1080p hannspree tn) would you recommend grabbing this dell at this price? Or wait for a fast IPS gaming option to be available?

Personally I hate ips for gaming. Ips glow seems to be getting worse rather than better in most models, so while I don't know much about the Dell I'd say get the Dell over the ips, especially considering the positive reviews and dell's customer service.

For someone who primarily games but also does appreciate a beautiful picture and does some digital media work as a hobby (and is currently using a 25" 1080p hannspree tn) would you recommend grabbing this dell at this price? Or wait for a fast IPS gaming option to be available?

Reading some of the reviews the picture is great....maybe not exactly like IPS but close enough. Of course it depends on how anal you are about it lol

Very tempting but I think I'll hold out for a good Ultrawide gsync

Thanks for the head's up. Took advantage of the Amazon deal since I have Prime.

went for it.

Ordered from newegg for $599 - $25 visa checkout -$25 american express card, no tax. total is $550

Does it have the same horrendous matte coating that the Swift does?

edit - After looking at the thread in the displays section, looks like it does. :(

Last edited:
Back