[newegg] 1GB Trascend PC2100 Samsung Chipset

This might be kind of off topic but it is about ram. I am interested into buying one of these since it seems like such a good price. I am currently using 1 stick of 512 Muskin ram at 2100. I dont really know anything else about it nor do i really know much about ram. If i bought this and put it into my comp, would it be compatable (I'm thinking obviously yes but I dont wanna spend 100+ if im wrong)?

Originally posted by Dhameon
If i bought this and put it into my comp, would it be compatable (I'm thinking obviously yes but I dont wanna spend 100+ if im wrong)?

It would probably be compatible, yes... however, since as you said you don't know too much about memory, let me tell you that there are 2 things about memory that determine how they affect your computer - how much there is, and the speed it runs at. The PC-2100 RAM here would make a system run at 266 MHz, which is slow by today's standards. Also, there are diminishing returns for the amount of memory you have. Under most circumstances, you would not see an appreciable performance boost by going from 512mb to a gigabyte of RAM.

In your case, I would advise you to do something a little different. I would tell you to upgrade your whole system for about $160, as opposed to the $110 for that memory. If I were you, I would get a 1700+ processor with the stepping code JIUHB or AIUHB from the For Trade/For Sale forums here, along with a cheap nForce2 motherboard such as the AN35N Ultra or equivalent. I would also get 2 x 256mb of some faster memory - PC3500, which will run at 433Mhz, a far cry from the 266 of that PC2100. I would get the OC3500 memory from here. Then, you would overclock the processor by following one of the many online overclocking tutorials which can be found on the internet. All said and done, the upgrade will set you back around $160, but you would get a dramatic increase in performance, particularly after the overclock. Anyways, that's just my two cents... If you have questions about my response, shoot me a PM or just reply in this thread.

-SEAL

actually, you lose the performance jump between 1gb + whatever

512-1gb you stil notice that performance jump, especially in games.

BF42 alone likes to take about 500mb of RAM.

Originally posted by gnewbury
How the heck do they refurbish ram?
maybe someone returned it for unknown reasons and after newegg tested it to be ok, resells it ?

Back