Newegg 12/24 Shell Shocker: Galaxy GeForce 210 1 GB is $12.99 amir!

I'm hoping to build a new gaming rig in the near future, and when I do I'm planning to make my current system a HTPC. I currently have a 8800 GTX which does not have HDMI, think this would be a good replacement?

I wouldn't say this is a "hot" deal, maybe room temperature. If it was the GT240, I'd get it as a Physx card for my PhenomII/GTX460-Sli set up. A GT210 is way to slow for that purpose. Even if it were $5 this isn't a deal as I think this is comparable to the performance from a Radeon 4250 and Intel's new integrated graphics and slower than the Radeons on the Lano A6 and A8s.

Razer X don't consider this at all. For an HTPC, I use a Radeon 6850(I'm insane), but would recommend a GTX550 or Radeon 6770 if you plan on gaming on it. For lighter work a Radeon 6670 would do.

Thanks for the info. Based on what you guys are saying, as well as some reviews I have read online, I think I'm going to pass on this one. I probably won't game on this rig once I build a new one, but it sounds like this card struggles with 1080 video which will be the main purpose of the HTPC.

I'd consider it if it were $15 less with a $15 rebate. $30 rebate is just too risky. When I see things with MIRs, I just assume that it's an extra if you receive it. Count on getting this 6 months down the road after you've forgot about it.

Razer X, if your looking to build a fresh media PC look into a Llano build. Even an AMD A6 (Basically a Phenom II x4 with a Radeon 6550 built in, in case you didn't know) would sound like a nice fit for your purposes.

I would only consider getting this if it was like $5 AR or something of the like...

You can find so many video card deals in the $15-$20AR range. $13 for this really isnt worth it. I see GT 430's or GT 220's/520's on sale for $20AR quite often and those are all significantly faster than a GT 210.

It sounds like he's planning on bumping his old gear down the chain, and upgrading his gaming rig. Not all of us have gobs of money to just build a whole new HTPC. In fact, I think surplus gear is about the only way to justify an HTPC.

GT 240s often go for $15 AR (I even got one for $0 AR), this is not hot.

This is a test video card for when you have a fried system that might damage any component you put in for fail testing. It is good for little else.

Back