newby question but what is BH-5?

thanks for understanding. heh. but i keep hearing about BH-5 and its getting me confused about what that is. Thanks

BH-5 is a REVISION of 5ns memory chips made by Winbond. There's also CH-5, BH-6 and CH-6. Other companes make memory chips as well, but Winbond's series are highly overclockable and able to keep latencies as low as possible. All the big brands in memory (Mushkin, Corsar, OCZ, etc) had Winbond chips in their performance modules, but Winbond pulled out of the memory market and now findng BH-5/CH-5 based memory is a tough hunt, which will probably take you to ebay.

Drisler said:
BH-5 is a REVISION of 5ns memory chips made by Winbond. There's also CH-5, BH-6 and CH-6. Other companes make memory chips as well, but Winbond's series are highly overclockable and able to keep latencies as low as possible. All the big brands in memory (Mushkin, Corsar, OCZ, etc) had Winbond chips in their performance modules, but Winbond pulled out of the memory market and now findng BH-5/CH-5 based memory is a tough hunt, which will probably take you to ebay.
I thought CH-5 and CH-6 was garbage, and BH-5 and BH-6 was the good stuff. Can anyone clear this up?

Yeah, more or less. The CH-X cannot match the properties of low latency exhibited by the BH-X chips.

CH5 is by no means garbage, it just can't do 2-2-2-5 timings. CH5 can do 2-3-2-6 which is good enough for all but the most hardcore people.

The reasons BH5 is so sought after is that it can run the tightest timings possible (2-2-2-5), it overclocks wells - I've seen it running at 220MHz and still maintaining 2-2-2-5 timings, and it tolerates high voltage (2.8v min instead of the usual 2.6v)

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. But what is my ram? is it crap or good?
I'm guessing its crap becuase it was cheap as.

mc_P said:
I have no idea what any of you are talking about. But what is my ram? is it crap or good?
I'm guessing its crap becuase it was cheap as.
We dont know what kind of modules your ram is using.

mc_P said:
lol same here i dont know alot about ram

Take the heatspreaders off, and look at the chips themselves. What codes do you see?

But those Geil are almost certainly NOT any kind of Winbond Chips.

Back