newbie to MP systems (read: dumb question inside)

DatHak512

Gawd
okay. right. you know that i'm new at the whole MP thing, so i'll go ahead and ask:

can you have two CPUs in the same board that are diff. clock speeds?

here's what i want to do:
motherboard: MSI K8T Master2-FAR
CPUs: 1xAMD Opteron 240, and maybe later 1xAMD Optereron 244
--OR-- 2xAMD Opteron 240

thanks. this is probably a dumb question, but i had to ask. thanks guys. and if you have any advice for a first time MP builder, please feel free to add your two cents...

I've heard of it being done...BUT i've never seen it...AND it's not supported in any way, shape, or form, and could cause system instability.

defakto said:
I've heard of it being done...BUT i've never seen it...AND it's not supported in any way, shape, or form, and could cause system instability.
ahhh..... i see. thanks for the info. i think i'll just go with maybe one 244, and then get another one when they get cheaper.

IIRC

the only time people have run 2 different spped chips in one mb, is if they are overclocking one to the other, or underclocking one to the other, ignoring that Alphas can and do run cpus are differnt speeds.

also no MB maker or chip maker will support you if you run 1 differnt chips, going with one and then upgradeding to 2 is very easy in win2k and up, so if it is a cost issue do it this way.

cool, yeah, i'm pretty sure that's what i'll do, not just becasue it's not as expensive all at once, but the prices of the chips will go down too, when i buy the second one. thanks for the reply! and now i'm back to doing my research...

dagamore said:
IIRC

the only time people have run 2 different spped chips in one mb, is if they are overclocking one to the other, or underclocking one to the other, ignoring that Alphas can and do run cpus are differnt speeds.

also no MB maker or chip maker will support you if you run 1 differnt chips, going with one and then upgradeding to 2 is very easy in win2k and up, so if it is a cost issue do it this way.

Not entirely true, I have seen a 700mhz Xeon run with a 900mhx Xeon, each at their own clock speed. (both 100mhz FSB)

It is just not recommended.

==>Lazn

What he was saying was tha alpha were the only ones that support it. If you were having issues running a pair of processors on that intell board, one at 700 and one at 900 and it was unstable, and you called them with an issue, they wouldn't help. They'd tell you to upgrade to two matched stepping processors. I've been down that line of question before, because I was having issues with a pair of mismatched cpus, same fsb and multplier but core steppings were different so they wouldn't help me at all, luckily it was just a power supply.

Even in a system that can handle slight differences in CPUs,
any difference in cache is probably going to cause problems,
and performance will be a little weird, since the OS won't
take the difference in speed into account when scheduling
processes.
I have a machine with 4 CPUs at one speed, and 4 at another.
The OS has no idea, and therefore does not try to use up
the fast processors before using the slow processors. But
they're otherwise the exact same processor, same cache etc.,
so it does work.

Back