Newbie at designing sites

Timdog

Gawd
I already know everything about domain hosting, webhosting, etc. I have 1st page 2000 2.0 free edition, but I just can't start to design the site. I have no idea where to begin. This is going to be a general site about computers mostly. I just have no idea how to start it. Anyone help me out?

Hrm, what did you use to search? Whenever I searched I always got business designing sites. :(

When you say "design," are you talking about basic layouts, content, or aesthetics?
Anyway, link in my sig has a few structural template sites (e.g. how to do a flexible 3 column layout) in it, if that's of help.

lomn75 said:
When you say "design," are you talking about basic layouts, content, or aesthetics?
Anyway, link in my sig has a few structural template sites (e.g. how to do a flexible 3 column layout) in it, if that's of help.
Mostly layout, I already know what I'm going to do for content. I'll try that link in your sig. Thanks for the replies so far. :)

Sigh these guides are a bit too much for me.

I'll state another question: I just want to build a website, how should I begin? The only knowledge I have is of domain hosting and webhosting. I have Frontpage 2000, but that seems a bit old for right now.

Before you dive into how to execute the code for structure and style, do some basic and rough outlining.

1. Pick a color scheme for the site.
Usually just a few colors that go togather.

2. Decide on navigation.
Will it be on top or one the side? Will it be flyout/dropdown menus? Will it be just some links, possibly in a tree format. If it is links will they have mouseover effects?

3. Overall structure. Banner, most likely. Side bars? Left and/or Right? Columns? Just do some real rough sketches of what you want things to look like.

4. Site banner and other graphics. Decide on general size and placement. The actual graphics don't need to be done as of yet, you just need to have an idea of size and placement of logo type stuff.

5. Ads? Think of about how they might end up being placed.

If I was you, I would just brush up on HTML and say screw Frontpage.

I've tried using Frontpage and Mozilla Composer, but I always end up going back and redoing about half the code myself anyways. Most programs just never get it exactly the way I want it.

Back