Newb question about Windows 7 or 8 installation.

Sky15

2[H]4U
When doing a clean install on your old HHD that previously had windows installed on it. What's the difference between deleting or formatting the HHD you want to do a clean install on? Do I just delete my old partition or click reformat?

Also, if I wanted to sell my HHD what is the best way to delete all my info on my HHD so that it can't recovered?

If you delete the partition it will be completely unpartitioned and will not be usable for anything until you format it. However the windows installer will automatically format if for you if you attempt to install windows to the unpartiioned space.

As far as clearing the old hard drive, deleting everything on it and filling it up completely with junk data would do the trick.

Or look up a low level formatting tool. There are things out there that write and wipe to drives multiple times to ensure the data is truly gone. I haven't done it in years so I can't recommend something - but I'm sure a little google-fu can fix that.

If you're keeping the computer, it's not necessary to completely wipe your hard drive before doing a clean install. If you are doing a clean install then giving away the computer or hard drive, you will want to zero data.

If you're keeping your computer and want to do a clean install, all you should do is when you are booted to the Windows install disc, click the old partitions and delete them, click Unallocated space and press next.

Back