New Xbox One features coming soon DLNA+

HisSvt76

2[H]4U
http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/k...w-ways-watch-tv-usb-dlna-support-coming-soon/

We’ve been bringing tons of new features to Xbox One fans worldwide throughout the year. Thanks to the recently-launched Xbox Feedback, our fans have played a huge role in shaping these updates. In fact, we’ve received thousands of posts and more than 400,000 votes to date.

Starting in the early access program later this month, new social features making it easier for gamers to connect with their friends and new ways to access their TV and entertainment throughout their homes will be coming to Xbox One. The updates include:
New “Friends” section – the new Friends section has been available for a few early access Preview members and we’re expanding it to everyone enrolled in the Preview program. The new Friends section enables users to see at a glance what’s going on with their friends. They can stay up-to-date with their current activities, the most popular games their friends are playing, and a Gamerscore leaderboard to see who has improved their Gamerscore over the last 30 days.
Snap Center – Some of gamers’ favorite features in the Xbox 360 guide, are coming to Xbox One in a way that’s now truly be side-by-side with games. Messages, friends, parties, and achievements will all be available in the new Snap Center, providing a seamless way to switch back and forth without having to leave a game.
Threaded Messages – keeping gamers in their games while they multitask has been a huge focus. The new Messages app features threaded messages with the full conversation history – including embedded links to Game DVR clips – that can be viewed without interrupting gameplay.
Media Player – a new app will be available soon that enables users to play media files from either an attached USB device or from a network connected home media server that supports DLNA protocols. The preview version of the Media Player app will initially only support USB devices, with DLNA support coming soon. Xbox One will support more formats than Xbox 360, including support for dozens of new file formats like mpeg 2 TS, animated gifs and mkv which will be added by the end of the year. See below for additional file formats.
Xbox One Digital TV Tuner –announced last week, this new accessory will enter a limited preview program in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain), in advance of its retail launch beginning in October.
Stream TV to SmartGlass – launching first in markets receiving the Xbox Digital TV Tuner, Xbox One owners will be able to stream their TV across their home network to their smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. They can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on the Xbox One. This will work for SmartGlass apps on Windows, iOS, and Android.
Boot to TV – Now Xbox One owners will be able to set their console to boot directly to television when coming out of connected standby.
Live TV mini guide – for markets where OneGuide is available, a new mini guide on the bottom of the screen will display details about the TV content that is currently playing. Users can quickly change channels and see what’s on other channels, while still watching TV.
Country Expansion – we’re doing a lot of work on the backend to prepare for Xbox One to launch in 29 new markets
in the coming weeks.

As with previous updates, these may be rolling out in general availability to Xbox One owners at different stages in the coming months. We continue to be amazed by our fans’ enthusiasm for our Xbox One system updates and their fantastic input. We’re working hard to make Xbox One more social and the best place for all your games and entertainment, and we can’t wait to roll out these new features, and more, in the coming months.

Later today, my gamescom co-host Acey Bongos, and one of the lead engineers on Xbox, Ashley Speicher, are demoing the new features. Stay tuned and we’ll post that demo a little later.

Xbox One compatible file types
3gp audio
3gp video
3gp2
aac
adts
animated gif
asf
avi divx
avi dv
avi uncompressed
avi xvid
bmp
jpg
gif
h264 avchd
mjpeg
mkv
mov
mp3
mpeg 1 ps
mpeg 2
mpeg 2 hd
mpeg 2 ts
mpeg 4 h264 aac
mpeg 4 sp
png
tiff
wav
wma
wma lossless
wma pro
wma voice
wmv
wmv hd

I can't wait for DLNA. I must say I love using the Kinect to watch netflix etc on my Xbone. And with DLNA It's going to be even more awesome.

Do you know if Microsoft will continue with their support of Kinect? Although its shoddy at times, I really like having to not use my controller when I don't have to (although faster, I know).

I like this - a lot. Hopefully we'll get true HD bitstreaming at some point, too. There's no reason they can't implement that with a software patch.

I can't believe that MKV made the list

That was the biggest pain with the 360...

Glad I gave up and went to XBMC.

I like this - a lot. Hopefully we'll get true HD bitstreaming at some point, too. There's no reason they can't implement that with a software patch.

Its possible if you have a stable wired connection from wherever your streaming from. Wireless will never work well on the hardware in the Xbone

Its possible if you have a stable wired connection from wherever your streaming from. Wireless will never work well on the hardware in the Xbone

I mean bitstreaming HD audio over HDMI. Like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. Right now the Xbox One decodes that into a version of PCM rather than the native format. While it does a fine job, it messes with the volume. There's no reason they can't send it over HDMI without being decoded. The PS3 and PS4 (and most PC Blu-Ray players) can.

Sweet, if they give me the ability to browse my media server then I can ditch my stupid ps3. Very excited lol

I mean bitstreaming HD audio over HDMI. Like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. Right now the Xbox One decodes that into a version of PCM rather than the native format. While it does a fine job, it messes with the volume. There's no reason they can't send it over HDMI without being decoded. The PS3 and PS4 (and most PC Blu-Ray players) can.

The PS4 does the same thing

PS3 and stand alone players output direct to receiver

Stop saying ps4 does it does not!

To note though even though the PS4 and Xbox one output PCM it is proper uncompressed audio I get proper output through my 7.1 setup VSX-1123K it just shows PCM not Dolby or DTS .

PCM from these machines is uncompressed lossless audio don't be fooled just because you receiver doesn't light up saying true HD or DTS

Last edited:
Stop saying ps4 does it does not!

To note though even though the PS4 and Xbox one output PCM it is proper uncompressed audio I get proper output through my 7.1 setup VSX-1123K it just shows PCM not Dolby or DTS .

PCM from these machines is uncompressed lossless audio don't be fooled just because you receiver doesn't light up saying true HD or DTS

Actually it DOES, you just have to change one of the settings within the movie player itself. Hit triangle and set the audio to bitstream. It works absolutely fine - it outputs the audio as-is.
The internal decoders output the audio as PCM, but it messes with any custom volume and equalizer settings you might have, so it is not as desirable. It's not like it compresses anything, but I have separate settings for HD audio movies and for "general" audio, and when you like the machine decode it as PCM, it won't pick that up.

Actually it DOES, you just have to change one of the settings within the movie player itself. Hit triangle and set the audio to bitstream. It works absolutely fine - it outputs the audio as-is.
The internal decoders output the audio as PCM, but it messes with any custom volume and equalizer settings you might have, so it is not as desirable. It's not like it compresses anything, but I have separate settings for HD audio movies and for "general" audio, and when you like the machine decode it as PCM, it won't pick that up.

I'll look at that but I don't watch movies with either one I have a oppo bdp-103D I use for movie watching.

YESSSSS for DNLA! I don't even have an XB1, but hopefully that makes Sony's lazy asses get off the porch and do something BEFORE 2015... Honestly I can't believe either console attempted to label themselves as a media device without DNLA support.

worm

YESSSSS for DNLA! I don't even have an XB1, but hopefully that makes Sony's lazy asses get off the porch and do something BEFORE 2015... Honestly I can't believe either console attempted to label themselves as a media device without DNLA support.

worm

To be completely accurate Xbox One does have some DLNA with play to and it works perfect. I use my win 8.1 tablet to que up videos all the time from my media center.

To be completely accurate Xbox One does have some DLNA with play to and it works perfect. I use my win 8.1 tablet to que up videos all the time from my media center.

I found it didn't work well with a HD encode for me (SD is perfectly fine). A bit too jerky for me. I've tried several movies and it all is the same. PS3 works perfect with the same. Great network, so that's not the problem. All wired.

DLNA with browsing from the Xbox will be great. Been looking forward to this addition! :D

Also - digital TV tuner? Hopefully it comes to US. I am OTA, and would love to consolidate several devices into one.

worm

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Competition between the two of these companies will only accelerate the release of additional features among other things.

I'm not sure how often I'll take advantage of this feature, but it's great it'll be there when I need it.

I stand corrected that is some hidden shit though. Still use my oppo though less power use and it quieter and faster. And would it kill Sony to include ir for us harmony users

I stand corrected that is some hidden shit though. Still use my oppo though less power use and it quieter and faster. And would it kill Sony to include ir for us harmony users

Yeah, the Sony configuration menu is horrible for not having that in plain sight. The reason I knew about it is because someone else posted it in one of the PS forums.
I actually use my PC most of the time, but the consoles are easier for my wife when I'm not around. I've got everything pre-configured for all of my systems the same way. The Xbox One is the on oddball as it seems to have some kind of internal sound booster or processor. Everything that runs through it is about 30% louder/bassier than with the other systems on my setup. It sounds good with TV, but it's overwhelming for movies.

Yeah, the Sony configuration menu is horrible for not having that in plain sight. The reason I knew about it is because someone else posted it in one of the PS forums.
I actually use my PC most of the time, but the consoles are easier for my wife when I'm not around. I've got everything pre-configured for all of my systems the same way. The Xbox One is the on oddball as it seems to have some kind of internal sound booster or processor. Everything that runs through it is about 30% louder/bassier than with the other systems on my setup. It sounds good with TV, but it's overwhelming for movies.

Make sure dynamic range control on ps4 is off that screws with the sound it was on in that ps4 bluray setting by default on Xbox one its off by default
On ps4 in bluray settings I have

Noise reduction off
Display mode normal
Dynamic range control off
Audio format bitstream direct.

That TV streaming is sick. I could see them reversing it and allow for watching tv and streaming your game to a phone/tablet and using your controller via their proprietary wifidirect.

So, when is this going to be released to use preview folks?

Over the next few months. My take from it is that they are splitting the features up over the next 2-3 months worth of updates which coincides with what Phil Spencer said about having the updates planned "through October". Background audio was also rumored to be coming around October/November.

Out of curiosity how did you guys get into the preview program?

Well I've beta tested every dash and was a original Xbox live tester. Got started thru Microsoft connect site way back. This Xbox one beta is by invite and people in it can invite other by submitting your gamertag you do have to be over 18. If you'd like an invite pm me or post your Xbox gamertag

Well I've beta tested every dash and was a original Xbox live tester. Got started thru Microsoft connect site way back. This Xbox one beta is by invite and people in it can invite other by submitting your gamertag you do have to be over 18. If you'd like an invite pm me or post your Xbox gamertag

Sure thing. My gamertag is the same as my username here: Derangel.

I added you you'll see I Drift 2

They will message you with you invite code it does take a bit

seriously considering selling my PS4 and grabbing an xbox one.
I only game every now and then, but my PS3 is used every day as my media player. My PS4 hasnt been turned on since the first week that I got it as it it lacks DLNA.

I only game every now and then, but my PS3 is used every day as my media player. My PS4 hasnt been turned on since the first week that I got it as it it lacks DLNA.

I've been using my xbone as a netflix machine and it works fantastic. I do boot up my PS4 from time to time to play some good ol FPS (only because the user base is there).

I plugged my media center pc into the Xbox one day one no need for an extender. Don't forget there is a Plex app coming too

I have a HTPC connected to my X1 as well, and I use the HTPC for watching movies and TV (and the occasional game--thanks Steam streaming!). I have an IR receiver connected to the HTPC, but it's not compatible with the X1 so I can't use kinect commands to control the HTPC. I've ordered a receiver that's supposed to be compatible, but it'd be nice if I could just do everything through the xbox in the first place.:)

I have a HTPC connected to my X1 as well, and I use the HTPC for watching movies and TV (and the occasional game--thanks Steam streaming!). I have an IR receiver connected to the HTPC, but it's not compatible with the X1 so I can't use kinect commands to control the HTPC. I've ordered a receiver that's supposed to be compatible, but it'd be nice if I could just do everything through the xbox in the first place.:)

My Hauppauge tuners use standard windows media center ir codes just put for cable box I put Microsoft and media center for the device.

I would hold to your PS4 and wait for another price drop for the Xbox One. DLNA is a great feature but it is NOT worth selling one system that will get it likely soon.

The PS4 is currently the better platform and if you need a media platform to play DLNA there are many cheaper choices (Chromecast + Plex = far superior to an Xbox One).

Anyone able to invite me to the member preview for Xbox one? I think I had an invite but seem to have gone missing.

Back