New Xbox Elite Controller Leaks

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A series of images posted on Chinese site Baidu reveal what is said to be a new version of the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller. According to the leaker, is said to have a 3-profile switch, as well as Bluetooth with support for Windows 10, USB-C, and three-level Hair-Trigger locks. The images also show what appears to be an adjustable tension mechanism for the thumbsticks. Microsoft filed a patent in December with an adjustable lock design for the thumbsticks, and the images match it exactly.

Looks great to me. I don't know if it would be possible given the new features, but I would love it if they made it a bit less expensive. I'm still using a 360 controller on my PC for racing and such, as I just can't bring myself to spend $140 on the current elite.

A source familiar with Microsoft’s Xbox plans has confirmed to The Verge that the Reddit image of the controller is genuine, but it’s not clear exactly when or if Microsoft plans to introduce this new controller. Microsoft is also testing this controller design alongside a new case that will charge it on the go.

I'd pay $140 if the enclosure was made out of anodized Titanium, buttons/switches were made by NKK, RGB LEDs, and custom high precision analog sticks. Low latency, high bit rate communications too. (actually, that would probably be closer to $500) :D Still, that would be something I'd agree on for something called "Elite"

I actually think their Elite controllers are pretty cool, but I personally wouldn't pay that much for a game pad unless it was just a bit more over-the-top in the cool department. Now arcade controllers... That's another story...

I paid $200 for the elite controller when it was first released. Was it worth it...yes...hell yes. It actually feels good in your hands. Now...could I take advantage of all the extras....nah, I suck. But I do love using it compared to the baseline model. I do use one of the paddles for the "X" button which is helpful for a shitty player like me.

140 usd, what

It is so worth it, if you play lots of controller games. I got one and I love it. First controller I've ever owned that really feels "premium". Well made, very responsive, etc, etc. Also the price isn't out of line with other high end controllers. SCUF controllers are in the $100+ range.

I mean I view it in the same light as a nice mechanical keyboard: Not for everyone because of the price, but worth it if you make a lot of use of it.

I read the headline as "New Xbox Elite Controller Leaks" and my mind went to... "How is it leaking? Grease? Oil? Tears of my enemies? Halo player tears?"

One of the main reasons why I didn't get an Elite was because of the lack of Bluetooth W10 support. They've got my attention.

$140 controller vs $40 keyboard and mouse. I think Microsoft is smelling their own farts.

I mean I view it in the same light as a nice mechanical keyboard: Not for everyone because of the price, but worth it if you make a lot of use of it.

Makes sense. I'd actually pay that much if the controller based games I play were that demanding. I guess some of them could be considered as such, but nothing to quite tip me over the edge. For fighting games (which I play my fair share) I prefer arcade stick setups. I typically build my own, but it's been a little while since I have. I'm teetering between building another one (which I've actually done all the design work for and just needs building) or just buying an X-Arcade setup since they're so cheap. Mine would come in well above the X-Arcade, and only have a few small advantages... (and extra cool points :p ) Good analogy on the mechanical KB. Hadn't really thought of that aspect.

It's good to hear that the people who have them seem to really like them though.

For $140 they should include a USB port to connect a mouse.
Why though? It's a controller. Most people use controllers for sitting on a couch across the room from a TV. Sure there's people like me who keep a controller around for emulation and games like NIER or racing games where keyboards just suck. You use a controller like this and then put it away someone. A connection for a mouse just doesn't make any sense.

$140 controller vs $40 keyboard and mouse. I think Microsoft is smelling their own farts.
If you spend (and are happy with) a $40 mouse/keyboard combo, this controller probably isn't for you. Or any other type of "Gaming" gear. like Razer, Logitech, Alienware,...

The target audience for a controller like this are for people who would spend more than $140 dollars on a Scuf, Evil or other type of modded controllers. They're not for people who satisfied with the base controller for a little bit of edge they can get on their opponent online.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be about leaking XBox controllers. Could of had fun with that, :(

I have one for my htpc, love it. Definitely better built and feels premium in your hands. $99 would be a better price point but I found mine on sale for $125 and have no regrets.

In what ways is it better than the 360 and one controllers?

Rumours that it has a built in chargeable battery. REALLY not a fan of that. I'll take replaceable AA any of day of the week instead.

In what ways is it better than the 360 and one controllers?

Well the spare parts it comes with are nice, different height and shape of the analog sticks. As for build, it's got more heft, rubberized/textured where your palms touch it on the underside. I believe it has a metal sub structure, it's more rigid than a normal xb1 or 360 controller. You wouldn't think you'd notice something like that but it stood out to me the first time I held one at a Microsoft store. Last but not least the paddles on the underside are awesome for use with PC games played on a TV.

*Edit looked up a teardown, didn't see a metal structure, still feels like it has one lol*

Then connect a joystick or steering wheel into the USB port? Generally better alternatives than a controller.

So you suggest spending 150+$ on a nice joystick or steering wheel to save spending 140$ on a nice controller? That makes a lot of sense.....

But if you don't care about quality, you can always get the regular xbox controller for 30$.... Same with getting a shitty steering wheel/joystick. Some people prefer the better built acc that won't break/fail/turn to shit after a few months.

They better make the shoulder bumpers made out of some kind of metal or heartier plastic. Otherwise they're going to break just as easy as the current ones. The first gen Elite bumpers are exactly the same material as the normal controllers. It's bad enough when those break on a $50 controller. When that controller is $140 it's inexcusable. While some people have had luck mailing them to MS, others have gotten them mailed right back. If they're still the same, no thanks. If they're different/better, I'm game.

I'll go look around a bit, but anyone know if these have any electrical improvements? Latency differences, better wireless range, or anything else, or is it all just the physical side of things.

I'm not knocking the physical side of things either, as that's pretty important in a physical interface. Just curious about the electronics.

I love my Elite, it takes plenty of abuse and I've had zero problems with it. I hate that it doesn't have bluetooth and the dongle has to be reset (unplug/plug, or restart the computer) after a few sleep wake cycles. The Xbox S controller is close behind. I'm curious about how this new iteration feels. I'll go read the article now.

Last edited:
I bet it still doesn’t come with the rechargeable pack. Real fucking elite at being cheap asses.

So you suggest spending 150+$ on a nice joystick or steering wheel to save spending 140$ on a nice controller? That makes a lot of sense.....

But if you don't care about quality, you can always get the regular xbox controller for 30$.... Same with getting a shitty steering wheel/joystick. Some people prefer the better built acc that won't break/fail/turn to shit after a few months.

He's not wrong, technically.

A controller is worse than a wheel. But the problem of having a wheel is that you've gotta get the pedals and shifter. A top-notch quality setup, one that's going to make you feel like you're driving, is going to cost a pretty penny. The investment of $140 because you're not trying to go down that rabbit hole is a bargin.

He's not wrong, technically.

A controller is worse than a wheel. But the problem of having a wheel is that you've gotta get the pedals and shifter. A top-notch quality setup, one that's going to make you feel like you're driving, is going to cost a pretty penny. The investment of $140 because you're not trying to go down that rabbit hole is a bargin.
You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, but a decent wheel and pedals is going to cost you at least $300, or twice that of this controller.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, but a decent wheel and pedals is going to cost you at least $300, or twice that of this controller.
Everytime I think about investing into a proper Fanatic setup or otherwise my wallet hides and cries. Wheel Base, Wheel, Pedals, Shifter. Get one of those fancy hydrolic seats. An ITX to power the VR headset, a Vive Pro with light houses.

At the same time, it's still a lot cheaper than actually going to the track... tires, oil change, gas, fixing damage or all sorts. So go figure.

Then connect a joystick or steering wheel into the USB port? Generally better alternatives than a controller.

/shakes head....I think the guys should spend what he wants on what he thinks is good for him. Plus some steering wheels are $300 and are effective for one/two genre of games. $140 seems like a bargain for a device that's compatible with over 80% of the games out there now.

Yeah but my $210 keyboard and mouse suck ass for driving or flight games lol.
In majority of games the keyboard and mouse are superior. For driving or flying games you'll want this.

51cUr17W4wL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

In majority of games the keyboard and mouse are superior. For driving or flying games you'll want this.

Sure, but unless you have a dedicated space or setup picking up a controller is much simpler. Not really sure what all the debate is over the price of this controller. I've heard nothing but good things about them from people have used them and good peripherals aren't normally cheap.

And that costs significantly more than the controller and can't be used for other games that don't work the best with KB/M. A controller isn't the best option for fighting games, racing games, flight games, but the Elite is many times cheaper then buying specialized controllers for all of those and works just fine. $300+ wheel set ups are not for everyone. $140 for a highly customizable controller that will be enough for what most people need vs over $1000 to get a good wheel and pedal set, a good flight stick and pedal set, and a good fight stick. And then you still need a controller if you want to play character action games or other titles that work better on a controller. Those fancy set ups are really only for people that get really serious about those genres and want to go all-out. They're a pretty shit investment for casual play.

Sure, but unless you have a dedicated space or setup picking up a controller is much simpler. Not really sure what all the debate is over the price of this controller. I've heard nothing but good things about them from people have used them and good peripherals aren't normally cheap.
+1 I'm probably in the minority here at [H] but I don't have any deskspace free for a steering wheel or joystick unless I plop it directly on my mousepad. I'm not into racing games, but for single-player sims like the upcoming Mechwarrior 5 a high end controller could be beat out a mouse+keyboard combo while not needing any space aside from when stored and not in use. It seems like a lot of people here forget not everyone has their own man-cave to work with.

I have one for my htpc, love it. Definitely better built and feels premium in your hands. $99 would be a better price point but I found mine on sale for $125 and have no regrets.

That's what I was thinking. At the $100 point, I'd probably bite. I'd use it for pretty much all manner of games, as trying to play games on a keyboard and mouse on a plane tray table doesn't work. That's about the only time I'd be using the controller. For now, just using my Xbox One controller.

I bet it still doesn’t come with the rechargeable pack. Real fucking elite at being cheap asses.

Honestly I hate rechargeable packs. After a few years they WILL die and then you're fucked. I rather have a couple of eneloops I can just swap out when I need.

Honestly I hate rechargeable packs. After a few years they WILL die and then you're fucked. I rather have a couple of eneloops I can just swap out when I need.
Xbox controllers will run off the cord without batteries installed. Rechargeable or otherwise. So when they die (which my 360 pack still held a charge for around 5-6 years) you aren’t fucked.

And I’m sure eneloops will die at some point too I’m sure. They are more cost effective though.

My point is just that they charge such a huge premium on this controller but can’t even through in the benefit of not needing to already own or go out and buy rechargeable.

xbox one wireless controller in black is the best looking controller.

we've reached the end of controller evolution.

nothing needs to be improved.

I have to say that the original Xbox One Elite is an excellent controller - probably the best controller around with its given layout and personally I find it better than the aftermarket-custom pads I've used that cost as much or more. I am glad to see there is a new version coming out, but I really hope Microsoft will offer some sort of discount/step-up program for existing owners. Between the price of the device and the considerable lag time between the development of 3rd gen "bluetooth ready" Xbox One S and Xbox One X controllers and the release of this new Elite (meaning that people buying Elites from the period of the S controller launch until the new version is ready, have been paying full price for old technology), it would be a nice gesture to allow existing owners a reasonable discount and/or allow them to send in their old pad and get a new one for a modest fee. Likewise, I hope they are keeping many of the replaceable parts the same style/socket, so that those who bought replacement/update/custom items for their Elite can still use them on Elite 2.0.

If they can do this, it looks like a worthwhile upgrade even for existing Elite owners.

Back