New World Amazon Studios MMORPG

did they ever say if they fixed the frying gpus thing?
Technically it wasn't the game that fried GPUs, but the GPUs lack of fail-safes to not fudge up due to heat and stress at these crazy high frame rates. Still not the best design but there's a number of games that have uncapped framerates during menus or pre-menus. Meaning depending your GPU, you risk blowing it up with every new game your purchase I guess.
I almost never run with a framerate monitor but just yesterday was doing some undervolt testing and picked Ghostrunner as my game of choice, and noticed during the various title screens before the main menu comes up, my 6800 GPU was pushing 3k FPS.

I believe New World said they implemented a cap after the news broke, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an fps cap option in settings.
yeah thats the normal one but i think i did read that they put in another cap even if "unlocked", like a universal max, idk what to call it. eg: instead of going to 10000 it caps to 2000, 2000 is now the "unlocked" max.

I have not been paying attention to this game as MMORPGs are at the bottom of my "preferred genre" list. However, I game almost daily with 3 other guys and all 3 of them wanted to try this game out so I said I'd play it with them. I played tonight for 4.5 hours and got up to level 11. As a non-MMORPG player, I still had fun. In the past, I did play Star Wars The Old Republic as well as Age of Conan, both for free up to level 20. Having said that, all MMORPGs feel the same to me but this game is decent - worth checking out. I haven't played it enough to decide if I want to buy or not. The 4 of us are going to play it as much as we can this weekend during the open beta so we'll see.

I live in Texas and the game pointed me to east coast servers but we played tonight on a west coast server. Overall, both in connectivity and graphics, the game was smooth for me.

Played briefly. Was put off by the janky and broken animations. Basically the issue I saw was after a few seconds running your running animation would break and 'freeze'. With less than a month to release that stuff shouldn't be in the game. Either the beta is using an old build or the game is broken. This open beta should be used to finish up any last minute things and to stress test the servers, not fix basic character animations, imo.

Combat felt not very good. Its trying to use this 'skill' base reaction system like Dark Souls but it isn't as reactive. Maybe they tried to be more realistic as doing a roll right after slashing with your sword isn't that realistic but the delay was just annoying.

Also encountered enemies in plain sight I couldn't hit and wouldn't react when right next to them. This is was happening <5 minutes from the starting so not good. Not sure what is the cause of that but 'because its' beta' seems like an excuse. Even though a beta isn't a 'demo' this is still their chance to impress any possible buyers that didn't pre-order for the other beta access. If I don't like the beta I'm not going to buy the game.

Graphics looked nice though.

Maybe I am just burned out of MMOs that aren't WoW... Already uninstalled but for a game in beta that would be in normal conditions 'in gold status', game seems undercooked. Maybe release version will fix a lot of this but right now I don't think I'll be there unless I see some improvements post release.

Last edited:
There is a beta available through the Steam page ends tomorrow though.
I know but why play the beta if I can play a trial of the finished game. I did some googling, can't find anything about a trial so I guess I'll try the beta.

Played briefly. Was put off by the janky and broken animations. Basically the issue I saw was after a few seconds running your running animation would break and 'freeze'. With less than a month to release that stuff shouldn't be in the game. Either the beta is using an old build or the game is broken. This open beta should be used to finish up any last minute things and to stress test the servers, not fix basic character animations, imo.

Combat felt not very good. Its trying to use this 'skill' base reaction system like Dark Souls but it isn't as reactive. Maybe they tried to be more realistic as doing a roll right after slashing with your sword isn't that realistic but the delay was just annoying.

Also encountered enemies in plain sight I couldn't hit and wouldn't react when right next to them. This is was happening <5 minutes from the starting so not good. Not sure what is the cause of that but 'because its' beta' seems like an excuse. Even though a beta isn't a 'demo' this is still their chance to impress any possible buyers that didn't pre-order for the other beta access. If I don't like the beta I'm not going to buy the game.

Graphics looked nice though.

Maybe I am just burned out of MMOs that aren't WoW... Already uninstalled but for a game in beta that would be in normal conditions 'in gold status', game seems undercooked. Maybe release version will fix a lot of this but right now I don't think I'll be there unless I see some improvements post release.
I haven't played the game, but I wonder if it's possible the issues you listed are related to servers/ping more so than mechanics? Or do you think it's definitely not that

I haven't played the game, but I wonder if it's possible the issues you listed are related to servers/ping more so than mechanics? Or do you think it's definitely not that
Could be being a multiplayer game, but I think its more of a mechanical issue with game deign choices. Combat in MMOs is one of the biggest challenges for me to find enjoyment in and this one just didn't vibe with me. Maybe will give it another go if they ever release a trial or get the game on sale.

Yes definitely server load. None of that stuff was a problem during alpha or the preorder beta.

I am now just over 12 hours into it, level 17. I have not had any of the issues mentioned above. So far, the only major issues I have noticed are some bugs in the sound effects. Since you can pre-order for $40 and there isn't supposed to be a monthly fee, I may go ahead and get it.

Do you guys think this game will last? Amazon doesn't seem to have had a good in the past with keeping games up long. Thoughts? I'm interested in this, but in the back of my mind I have thoughts they'll take the $40 upfront costs from players for a year, then just shut the game down in 1-3 years post-release.
did they ever say if they fixed the frying gpus thing?
An in-depth technical video explanation is here by Buildzoid that I ran across by coincidence just now.

I hit level 18 in the beta over the weekend. I had fun but it had some things that I dont like from mmo's like WoW. No major bugs just a few minor issues.
I had fun, but I really do not believe it will last. Lots of repetition in what I was doing. Story was pretty lacking and pointless so overall I'll pass. Not a bad attempt but enough enough there to keep it going for me.

what are the dungeons like, is it the typical 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps? how do you find a group?

I cancelled my pre-order. I don't see the longevity of this game. You get 3 attack skills just mash the same buttons over and over. Just cookie cutter builds. There's no depth in the combat and if your bored go harvest some more mats lol. There's nothing interesting about this game except that it's not subscription based. Guild Wars 2 already has that and much more content.

I cancelled my pre-order. I don't see the longevity of this game. You get 3 attack skills just mash the same buttons over and over. Just cookie cutter builds. There's no depth in the combat and if your bored go harvest some more mats lol. There's nothing interesting about this game except that it's not subscription based. Guild Wars 2 already has that and much more content.

Wow it's impressive how wrong you are about every statement you made. You get three skills per weapon, so six total (you wield two). Cool downs are on all abilities, you can't just mash. Light and heavy attacks are a key part as well as blocking manually, so that makes nine. Plus dodge roll, so ten.

Abilities all have lots of conditionals on them to encourage and synergize actual strategic use. Combat is actually quite deep due to this as well as interactions of your skills with other players'.

There's a good amount of combat, about as much as guild wars 2 had at launch and more zones are known to be coming by the end if this year. It's a group oriented game with a lot of PvP elements too.

Please don't talk out of your hind end about games you've only seen a screenshot of.

Wow it's impressive how wrong you are about every statement you made. You get three skills per weapon, so six total (you wield two). Cool downs are on all abilities, you can't just mash. Light and heavy attacks are a key part as well as blocking manually, so that makes nine. Plus dodge roll, so ten.

Abilities all have lots of conditionals on them to encourage and synergize actual strategic use. Combat is actually quite deep due to this as well as interactions of your skills with other players'.

There's a good amount of combat, about as much as guild wars 2 had at launch and more zones are known to be coming by the end if this year. It's a group oriented game with a lot of PvP elements too.

Please don't talk out of your hind end about games you've only seen a screenshot of.
I hope you're right cause I need something new to play.

I hope you're right cause I need something new to play.
I put 20 hours into the beta a couple months back and wasn't even close to getting bored. And out of my gaming family and friends, I'm known as the guy that gets bored of games rather quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe3
like this

Jeff...is that you?

I'll be playing it, but more as a casual thing than anything. Not one of those people who play 24 hours a day so they can hit max level in the shortest time. (Then complain when they get bored that there's nothing to do)

I sold $35 worth of skins and crap on the steam market so I'll probably be playing it. remember you get 2 hours to try it on steam. do higher level characters destroy lower level ones in PVP or does it not work like that?

I know how to play an mmorpg unlike you it seems ;). Nice ad hominem to hide your ignorance instead of addressing the reply.
I find it amusing how angry you seem because I said the game sucks. I played the beta and it was a fucking shit boring grindfest, so I refunded my pre-order. My first ever refund on Steam since 2004 and 500+ games. The combat system is garbage compared to other MMOs/RPGs. Run here fetch this, go farm mats. All already done in other games. Nothing new to offer except on a more casual level. And the graphics suck also. Get mad at me more.

I went ahead and bought it and it is now installed. Servers go online tomorrow. If there was a monthly subscription fee (like a lot of MMORPGs) then I would not have gotten it but since there is no monthly fee and it was only $40 (instead of $60+) I got it.

I went ahead and bought it and it is now installed. Servers go online tomorrow. If there was a monthly subscription fee (like a lot of MMORPGs) then I would not have gotten it but since there is no monthly fee and it was only $40 (instead of $60+) I got it.
steam lets you pre load it? how big was it?

steam lets you pre load it? how big was it?
Yup, install became available today at 10 AM central time. I installed it and then tweeked my key bindings and video/audio settings. Mine said it was 39 GB.

compared to what? looks a little more entertaining than wow since you have to aim some heals.
The one I saw it looked like the guy was casting the same thing over and over again. Just an aoe on the ground.

edit: I've been itching for something else, and I really miss wow's healing. I freaking love it. Just everything else in that game is garbage. Would love to find another game to heal in again.

compared to what? looks a little more entertaining than wow since you have to aim some heals. I hope the dungeons have hard modes.
PvE was secondary to the PvP and crafting systems, that much shows. That being said, I am pretty positive future PvE content will get a lot more focus over time. They apparently tweaked a lot of the dungeon difficulties throughout the betas, during the earlier betas they were way too easy. Hard modes sound like an easy band-aid solution as well, but people are going to want to see MECHANICS, not higher HP/DEF attributes on mobs. Especially coming from games like FFXIV with great boss fight mechanics, it seemed like NW left a lot to be desired. Open world PvP grouped with buddies looks like the most fun to me so far.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
The one I saw it looked like the guy was casting the same thing over and over again. Just an aoe on the ground.

edit: I've been itching for something else, and I really miss wow's healing. I freaking love it. Just everything else in that game is garbage. Would love to find another game to heal in again.
I primarily played wow as a healer, so I feel you

Mixed reviews on Steam but they are reviews before the game even went live. I'm going to see if I can find a key for a really cheap price. I suspect this game will be 5.99 before you know it.

Last edited:
So I just checked my email and had a New World (Deluxe Edition) code from Amazon. Went and checked my order history and I never ordered it but did sign up for the alpha back in 2017. Now I have not tested it to see if it works but has anyone else received a free key?

I played during the beta, and while it wasn't the greatest, it was enough fun for me to relax on and just play around in when i get bored. :rolleyes:

Back