New World Amazon Studios MMORPG

I got in a few hours of the game last night (lvl 5 or so) but that slow login ... jeebus.

So far
+ Graphics. The graphics look good - running at 3440x1440@120 on a 3090 with everything cranked up POV cranked widest available (70? IIRC).
+ Crafting starts right at the beginning. Crafting looks to be robust - there's alot of it even from the starting zone
+/- Play style. Very action-y with aiming (not sure if theres target locking like in other games)
- Shards. The game uses shards style hosting, so you might be on a different server than your buddies even if you're in the same geo-zone. For example, ESO has regional clusters - NA or EU - and everyone is on one of those clusters. ESO makes grouping with buddies alot easier.

I don't know how deep the questing / PVE stuff is yet since I'm still in the starting zone but right now it gives me more of a Neverwinter Nights action style MMO than WOW or other more comprehensive games ... but maybe that's just because I'm not that deep into it yet.

They need to unfuck these queues. 2000 slots per server is not going to cut it. How do you sell millions of copies of a game and only have space for a few hundred thousand players?

I was lucky and got in yesterday at 8:00 AM, but was kicked at 11:00. Only to find I was 608 in queue which took over 4 hours to get through.

This game will be dead in a week if they don't increase server capacity to at least 5000 slots per server.
Two decades + later and we still can't get MMO launches right.

Incredible.

What the fuck is the point of being an Amazon game studio if you can't just en-masse spin up some AWS to increase capacity? Literally the best thing they had going for them and they obviously didn't plan it out right.

You already have your answer;

Because those supporters aren't going anywhere. Being hard to get in and play makes the fantasy lords want to play that much more. Exclusivity is powerful marketing.

Because those supporters aren't going anywhere. Being hard to get in and play makes the fantasy lords want to play that much more. Exclusivity is powerful marketing.
Huh. I never considered this angle. Sort of like playing the FOMO.

Still looks boring if there was cooler Enemy variations like beetles bugs and elementals.

Just saw this posted by Worth A Buy:

"Really struggling with New World, just hit lvl 20 tonight after 2 days of sitting in queue for hours then mindlessly killing the same mobs in the same place and getting the same rewards for hours. Am doing one more stint in it tomorrow before my review which due to the fact it's an MMO will be more of a first impressions which is quite funny considering I have 23 hours played so far.

Overall it's a very disappointing game so far."

Just saw this posted by Worth A Buy:

"Really struggling with New World, just hit lvl 20 tonight after 2 days of sitting in queue for hours then mindlessly killing the same mobs in the same place and getting the same rewards for hours. Am doing one more stint in it tomorrow before my review which due to the fact it's an MMO will be more of a first impressions which is quite funny considering I have 23 hours played so far.

Overall it's a very disappointing game so far."
meh, i put in 10 hours today. level 20 as well, its an MMO alright, im not sure how much itll open up in the next couple of hours.

but its 40 bucks, has no subsciption model, is very solid for time wasting, and its something new. reviewers like to be overly critical of new games coming out, when in reality, the last AAA mmorpg to be released was the elder scrolls online. it scratches an itch, not just for me, but looking at the twitch numbers and steam concurrent players, for a lot of other people as well. it is what it is.if its a dead game in 6 months from now, im sure most people will have gotten their money's worth outta it

They won't have an incentive to keep adding content beyond 6-12 months without a subscription based model. Only other option is expansion packs and charge for those, at the cost of locking non-payers out of said content (which will mean very few players at those dungeons/pvp areas).

I hope I'm wrong, but fully expecting it to be a non-lasting MMO with almost no veteran players 3-4 months from now. And AFAIK Amazon does not have a good track record of supporting their games.

Seems to be a rather shallow $40 one-time-experience & forget-it type of game deal.

As you say, if you get $40 worth of joy out of it, that's great. But I think those seeking a WoW-successor won't find it here

They won't have an incentive to keep adding content beyond 6-12 months without a subscription based model. Only other option is expansion packs and charge for those, at the cost of locking non-payers out of said content (which will mean very few players at those dungeons/pvp areas).

I hope I'm wrong, but fully expecting it to be a non-lasting MMO with almost no veteran players 3-4 months from now. And AFAIK Amazon does not have a good track record of supporting their games.

Seems to be a rather shallow $40 one-time-experience & forget-it type of game deal.

As you say, if you get $40 worth of joy out of it, that's great. But I think those seeking a WoW-successor won't find it here
the thing is, theres never gonna be a WOW successor. WOW is dead. mmorpgs are dead. its a cyclical situation right now, be popular on streaming sites for a couple of months, pump all your marketing budget (sponsored streams?) into that, and walk away.

if you get 30-50 hours out of a game, thats what you should expect. amazon knows what they are doing, its not an $80 game, its half that, and its gonna be dead early next year. gaming is changing as much as every other part of life around us. if enjoy it after your 2hr trial on steam, just keep going, dont think about it too much. just do what makes you happy. (fuck, if youre a movie buff and go to the movies 4 times a month, you've spent that amount of money for those 6-8 hours of entertainment.... my point being, fuck critics, try it out for yourself, and if it works for you, if it distracts you from whatever you need distracting from.... go for it) dont listen to people who do this for a living, they are all jaded. go get yourself some time off, even if it is in an mmorpg. fuck the haters.

The problem I am having right now is the game looks and feels no different than the beta. Am I missing something? It's pretty much identical in terms of content, map size, etc...

Otherwise, I had a blast leveling up to 20 or so in the beta. Looking forward to it again. Only LVL 12 thus far. Hoping to see some solid end game stuff.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
People said ESO "wouldn't last" and "will be dead quick" and "probably has AIDS, like if AIDS were a videogame." I was one of them. And yet it's still going. And every day I wake up and have to make peace with that.

So maybe the lesson is people don't necessarily know anything, least not on day one.

Last edited:
I'm lvl 22, I think it's OK so far. There's issues with faction stacking already, I picked Covenant which ended up being the lowest on my server, and I don't bother turning on my PvP flag because it's kind of a shit show - you really have to have a SOLID group with you. Which sucks cuz the PvP Faction missions give a lot better rewards than the PvE ones.

Also the map design is slightly lazy being "small" as it's the first MMO I've played since early Everquest that has no mounts. So it turns the game into a running simulator. So yeah, as a lot of said, you feel like you spend a LOT of time running from quest to quest and waiting for your 1hr town recall to refresh so you don't spend all your Azoth fast traveling. I've been doing that anyway because I *hate* mindless running around.

meh, i put in 10 hours today. level 20 as well, its an MMO alright, im not sure how much itll open up in the next couple of hours.

but its 40 bucks, has no subsciption model, is very solid for time wasting, and its something new. reviewers like to be overly critical of new games coming out, when in reality, the last AAA mmorpg to be released was the elder scrolls online. it scratches an itch, not just for me, but looking at the twitch numbers and steam concurrent players, for a lot of other people as well. it is what it is.if its a dead game in 6 months from now, im sure most people will have gotten their money's worth outta it
Technically, WildStar was the last AAA MMORPG to be released.

I'm lvl 22, I think it's OK so far. There's issues with faction stacking already, I picked Covenant which ended up being the lowest on my server, and I don't bother turning on my PvP flag because it's kind of a shit show - you really have to have a SOLID group with you. Which sucks cuz the PvP Faction missions give a lot better rewards than the PvE ones.

Also the map design is slightly lazy being "small" as it's the first MMO I've played since early Everquest that has no mounts. So it turns the game into a running simulator. So yeah, as a lot of said, you feel like you spend a LOT of time running from quest to quest and waiting for your 1hr town recall to refresh so you don't spend all your Azoth fast traveling. I've been doing that anyway because I *hate* mindless running around.

Which server are you on? I chose Conenant as well because they were lacking in population.
I think there's only 1 company with a 50+ population for this faction lol

Which server are you on? I chose Conenant as well because they were lacking in population.
I think there's only 1 company with a 50+ population for this faction lol
Ensipe. Originally Day 1 we had chosen Eden and there was an 8K queue within minutes of server launch, we moved to Ensipe because of this. The worst queue I've faced thus far is ~800, and they're only in the evenings after 5PM.

I think they are offering free server xfers in two weeks. It would be nice to have a bunch of Convenant people switch to a server together and actually have a large faction. Seems like 9/10 people I see on Ensipe are Syndicate.

120 day cooldown to change factions is a LONG time.

Anyone else getting high CPU temps with this game? I've seen a lot of discussion about it online but no "fix" or "work around" yet.

I'm still running into login queues. Is this now the norm for this game?
I dunno. I picked a low pop server 2 days ago and it's been solid. The other time was a queue of lime 8 to 10, and it nearly instantly logged me in

Largest queue was maybe 100 and it seemed to drop about 1 per second. So it wasn't that bad.

I'd change servers if you think it's gonna be a problem.

I suspect population to dip to half by mid October.

Yeah, with a limit of 2K per a realm, the queues are ridiculous. Game is good, although it really reminds me of GW2.

Large pop servers have queues of 2K+ which take 4-6 hours to wait through. Many will just stay in game and keep moving their character around.

Still hitting a large queue every time I attempt to play. Is there any info on how to move your character to another server?

Still hitting a large queue every time I attempt to play. Is there any info on how to move your character to another server?
They are going to offer free server transfers because of the queue times but they aren't available yet

New World has the silliest lore about why it doesn't have mounts​

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-world-has-the-silliest-lore-about-why-it-doesnt-have-mounts

0xvtppfhbbq71.jpg

Lol. I guess mounts won't be a thing ever.

played it for a few hours yesterday and today, its growing on me.
Idk, PVE can't grow on me for this game - it's the same ole' loot 6 chests kill 12 monsters bullshit that's been rehashed a million times, compounded by the 2000 server cap that is constantly full of people. I'm just going to wait until I'm well behind the curve to keep playing - right now it's not very fun. In 2021 I expect PvE to be pretty seemless, I want to just show up in an area and have missions to do or have lore that directs me towards objectives - the running 10 miles back and forth to town because of no mounts and a limited fast travel system is just...ugh. Super outdated. PvP is pretty much the only thing of interest with this game for now.

Idk, PVE can't grow on me for this game - it's the same ole' loot 6 chests kill 12 monsters bullshit that's been rehashed a million times, compounded by the 2000 server cap that is constantly full of people. I'm just going to wait until I'm well behind the curve to keep playing - right now it's not very fun. In 2021 I expect PvE to be pretty seemless, I want to just show up in an area and have missions to do or have lore that directs me towards objectives - the running 10 miles back and forth to town because of no mounts and a limited fast travel system is just...ugh. Super outdated. PvP is pretty much the only thing of interest with this game for now.
I think the world is too small for mounts in my opinion. doesn't take long to get to quests. I feel like it would make the questing experience a blur, worse than it is now.

The 2000 player server cap seems strangely low to me. How many players could WoW/EQ/Lineage 2/etc servers support back in the day? Seemed like way more than 2000 at the time...

I think the world is too small for mounts in my opinion. doesn't take long to get to quests. I feel like it would make the questing experience a blur, worse than it is now.
The world is small but you're constantly running back and forth between places you've already been. Would be nice to at least have a sprint for those times you run to town, take a quest to kill zombies, run to the farm, kill the zombies, run back to town, get a new quest to collect barley from the same farm, run to the farm again, kill zombies and collect barley, run back to town, take a quest to open chests, run to the same farm AGAIN, roll on and on and on.

The world is small but you're constantly running back and forth between places you've already been. Would be nice to at least have a sprint for those times you run to town, take a quest to kill zombies, run to the farm, kill the zombies, run back to town, get a new quest to collect barley from the same farm, run to the farm again, kill zombies and collect barley, run back to town, take a quest to open chests, run to the same farm AGAIN, roll on and on and on.
It is definitely monotonous as far as leveling experiences go. At this point I'd rather just grind mobs for xp and not even have quests so I could stay in one place for a while lol

It really does look generic. Like the Dane Cook of MMOs.
Hah, completely accurate description. It looks so corporate and vanilla, reminds me of Two Worlds or Drakensang (without the endearing Eurojanky-ness).

Back