New World Record Set for Longest Sniper Shot

monkeymagick

[H]News
Apparently, a Canadian sniper in the elite special forces, JTF 2, set the record for the longest confirmed kill shot at a distance of 3,450 meters (2.14 miles) away from the target, beating the old record by almost a 1,000 meters. The sniper used a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle, firing from a high-rise killing an Iraqi insurgent in a matter of 10 seconds preventing an attack on Iraqi security forces. That's an amazing feat including taking into account of the Coriolis effect with excellent work between the sniper and his observer partner. And I thought my deteriorating no-scope awping skills were good in Counter-Strike.

"Hard data on this. It isn't an opinion. It isn't an approximation. There is a second location with eyes on with all the right equipment to capture exactly what the shot was," another military source said.

A military insider told The Globe: "This is an incredible feat. It is a world record that might never be equalled."

Jesus, not only all the math that went into that shot for wind, Coriolis, bullet drop, the effects of updrafts from firing over differing surfaces etc. That jihadi had to stand still for 10 seconds waiting for the round to get there. Outstanding shooting.

In Ghost Wildlands you'd have to shot 45 degrees up to get that shot, the bullet drop is so exaggerated. This reminds me that I miss wind from that game, the only thing that matters when sniping is bullet drop. It would be nice to have a spotter in the game with realistic wind effects.
See, I made a technology topic from it.

I'm highly impressed... But why is this is a news topic here? On a technology site?

because the shooter and his spotter are human calculators, duh.. but seriously that shots fucking amazing, i'd never be able to do that much math for a single shot.

In Ghost Wildlands you'd have to shot 45 degrees up to get that shot, the bullet drop is so exaggerated. This reminds me that I miss wind from that game, the only thing that matters when sniping is bullet drop. It would be nice to have a spotter in the game with realistic wind effects.
See, I made a technology topic from it.

in games it has more to do with scale then anything else but i'm fine with the way most games are. shooting simulators aren't fun to play and neither are point and click shooters so it's a middle ground for games that at least have bullet drop.

Last edited:
How could the Iraqi hear the apology from more than 3 clicks away? I call bs

Not long ago a British Sniper killed three ISIS insurgents with a single shot from 1.5km. This is all propaganda and hardly ever confirmed, kind of like Vasily Zaytsev killing 800 officers in Stalingrad, this is military propaganda.

The stats on some of these snipers is so far fetched, the thing about being a sniper is that every time you pull the trigger you give your position away, most military grade snipers give off sonic blasts that can triangulate the shooters position, hard to not eventually get compromised.

I'm highly impressed... But why is this is a news topic here? On a technology site?

Not long ago a British Sniper killed three ISIS insurgents with a single shot from 1.5km. This is all propaganda and hardly ever confirmed, kind of like Vasily Zaytsev killing 800 officers in Stalingrad, this is military propaganda.

The stats on some of these snipers is so far fetched, the thing about being a sniper is that every time you pull the trigger you give your position away, most military grade snipers give off sonic blasts that can triangulate the shooters position, hard to not eventually get compromised.

if this was an American sniper, jerry bruckheimer would make a movie. why would Canada lie about something like this?

Last edited:

You should definitely hang around after engaging, we know that's sensible. Especially if you don't have heavy cover or know to expect fire support.

It's not like snipers haven't known for the last 100 years to only engage high value targets to keep their position concealed and preferably only when they can shoot and scoot.

Luckily ISIS don't have boomerangs, but they wouldn't need them anyway; typically (going back some in fairness) a team wouldn't exactly be in a covert position, they're adequately supported by the rest of their unit and are acting as overwatch but primarily a range buffer. If the enemy can only engage at 400m and you can at 800m, they're pretty stuffed. Most long range shots seem to be referring to those types of situations or else where it's hard/dangerous to close in without being seen rather than someone lrrping out in small units and popping a target of opportunity.

Not everything is a lie/conspiracy you know... I see no reason or advantage of the government to use this as propaganda.

Not everything is a lie/conspiracy you know... I see no reason or advantage of the government to use this as propaganda.
You should definitely hang around after engaging, we know that's sensible. Especially if you don't have heavy cover or know to expect fire support.

It's not like snipers haven't known for the last 100 years to only engage high value targets to keep their position concealed and preferably only when they can shoot and scoot.

Luckily ISIS don't have boomerangs, but they wouldn't need them anyway; typically (going back some in fairness) a team wouldn't exactly be in a covert position, they're adequately supported by the rest of their unit and are acting as overwatch but primarily a range buffer. If the enemy can only engage at 400m and you can at 800m, they're pretty stuffed. Most long range shots seem to be referring to those types of situations or else where it's hard/dangerous to close in without being seen rather than someone lrrping out in small units and popping a target of opportunity.

all I am saying is take it with a pinch of salt

This might be the case if the sniper were in hostile territory, without much support. Your idea presumes that there was no other military presence to capture the attention of the insurgent, that the insurgent was acting as part of a coordinated team, and that finding the sniper who felled one insurgent was a high priority. With the range of engagement, the likelyhood of low-tech insurgents having the luxury to determine where the sniper is located, take the time to "triangulate" (do you even know what the word means?) the position, and then act on it, is very low.

Also, plenty of times where snipers had to hold positions.

This might be the case if the sniper were in hostile territory, without much support. Your idea presumes that there was no other military presence to capture the attention of the insurgent, that the insurgent was acting as part of a coordinated team, and that finding the sniper who felled one insurgent was a high priority. With the range of engagement, the likelyhood of low-tech insurgents having the luxury to determine where the sniper is located, take the time to "triangulate" (do you even know what the word means?) the position, and then act on it, is very low.

Also, plenty of times where snipers had to hold positions.

Yet just about every week it is reported that some sniper from x country is pulling off wonder shots ironically against Islamic militant, like these guys look obvious in daytime? Lets also talk about the collateral, a shot at 2km is subject to x number of physics and if you get it wrong you take out civilians which in military law is like murder.

It may or may not be true, I just take this with a grain of salt.

Yet just about every week it is reported that some sniper from x country is pulling off wonder shots ironically against Islamic militant, like these guys look obvious in daytime? .

I watch the news rather frequently; especially military news and it sounds like you are exaggerating this to make your point. Show me proof of 4 weeks in a row of miracle sniper shots against ISIS and it might sound more believable let-alone world-recording breaking shots.

Sorry dude, wrong forum. You're looking for a website called "Infowars".

I remember shooting 500 yards with iron site. Squinting to make out the B target trying to get center... We had up - dn clicks... but I cannot fathom a shot like this... I have my old data book somewhere...Shot expert of course. Our platoon had the most Expert quals to date at that time, but one dick-bag went unc so it did not count as a camp record... man that guy sucked.

I watch the news rather frequently; especially military news and it sounds like you are exaggerating this to make your point. Show me proof of 4 weeks in a row of miracle sniper shots against ISIS and it might sound more believable let-alone world-recording breaking shots.

This right here. I've only heard about shooting like this once in a blue moon, not "every week".

If true, assuming true, it's an amazing shot technically!

But, at this point, isn't it sort of like shooting fish in a barrel? Hey guys that insurgent is standing still, let's back up and go for a new record. :cool:

Note to self, completely change your location every 9 seconds.;)

Not as impressive
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...yards-shooting-the-17000-linux-powered-rifle/

I've been to that gun range... Even managed to hit a few plates at 500 yards using a friends tricked out Rem 700 setup (including his custom reloads) there. I can't imagine being able to pull off consistent 1000 yard shots.. amazing what tech can do. This is the type of thing you wouldn't want in the hands of your enemies.

Jesus, not only all the math that went into that shot for wind, Coriolis, bullet drop, the effects of updrafts from firing over differing surfaces etc. That jihadi had to stand still for 10 seconds waiting for the round to get there. Outstanding shooting.
Not to mention the time taken to calculate the shot.
This guy should compete professionally after his time in the service.

Sorry for making you explode as that 50cal turns you into mist.
4721505726_1cb1f2baf3_b.jpg

Obviously a bit of luck. But that is some luck (mixed with some skill)

...the thing about being a sniper is that every time you pull the trigger you give your position away, most military grade snipers give off sonic blasts that can triangulate the shooters position, hard to not eventually get compromised.

At that kind of distance, though, the muzzle flash, the hit, and the bang would come considerably far apart...that's gotta make finding the source pretty challenging. Plus, ya know, it was over 2 miles away. Pretty sure the sniper team didn't just kick back and relax after making the shot.

Back