New World Amazon Studios MMORPG

I've hit level 15 recently. Queues killed it for me yesterday, which was at 531. The quests are fine but I don't feel entirely pleased with the low XP gain & the next quests that are 2 levels higher than I am. The game seems to need a way to boost travel speed if I have to keep running back & forth between the givers & locations. My other complaint is that you can't send an application to a company, instead you have to bug people to invite you. Counter-productive if they're not paying attention to your direct message.

I've hit level 15 recently. Queues killed it for me yesterday, which was at 531. The quests are fine but I don't feel entirely pleased with the low XP gain & the next quests that are 2 levels higher than I am. The game seems to need a way to boost travel speed if I have to keep running back & forth between the givers & locations. My other complaint is that you can't send an application to a company, instead you have to bug people to invite you. Counter-productive if they're not paying attention to your direct message.
Are you upgrading your gear through drops, or from the market place? Haven't had an issue with being a few levels higher than me due to me constantly changing out my gear to get stronger.
Also, are you pulling quests from your faction? Or the community board?
Could be just me, but it appears I get faction quests (PvE) right in the range of my current level.

As for the company invites, I agree it's kind of odd. But I had no issue joining a strong guild from just a quick "can I have an invite" to the company leader.

Question for you all -

Thoughts on crafting and the market?

Items are wayyyyyy over priced on my server, but are definitely dying down. $3 a unit for oil is comical... $0.25 for a piece of green wood yesterday is hilarious. I'm undercutting like a MF and making some serious bank.

Not a fan of the crafting so much. I'm just buying gear at this point.

Are you upgrading your gear through drops, or from the market place? Haven't had an issue with being a few levels higher than me due to me constantly changing out my gear to get stronger.
Also, are you pulling quests from your faction? Or the community board?
Could be just me, but it appears I get faction quests (PvE) right in the range of my current level.
I haven't done many of the community board or faction quests yet. I usually upgrade through mob drops & quest rewards. I think I'll have to start looking into using the market place more often if the drops are falling short.

I'm used to doing PvE content by going to the next area with more quests. Problem is that I keep forgetting the boards to find them instead of what I see on the map.

I haven't done many of the community board or faction quests yet. I usually upgrade through mob drops & quest rewards. I think I'll have to start looking into using the market place more often if the drops are falling short.

I'm used to doing PvE content by going to the next area with more quests. Problem is that I keep forgetting the boards to find them instead of what I see on the map.

Faction quests are where it's at I'd say. If you don't want pvp, just do the PVE ones(top 3).
Far better experience, gold rewards and you get excellent gear through the faction currency as well.

Just hit up your towns faction guy, and go from there. Community boards are trash.

As for running too much, definitely helps to unlock the one or two portals in the zone so you don't have to run so much.

Faction quests are where it's at I'd say. If you don't want pvp, just do the PVE ones(top 3).
Far better experience, gold rewards and you get excellent gear through the faction currency as well.

Just hit up your towns faction guy, and go from there. Community boards are trash.

As for running too much, definitely helps to unlock the one or two portals in the zone so you don't have to run so much.
Thanks for the advice. I'll focus on the faction quests next time. Chasing after the quests on the map alone seem to be driving me into tougher mobs when I'm lacking firepower.

MMO's are basically dead at this point as far as new games. Everything that comes out ends up centering around PvP and not stories. Not to mention, F2P, which IMO, has killed MMO's. I haven't seen a good story driven MMO in quite awhile. I think a few of us from my old LOTRO kin are going to try this out, just to try out a new MMO, but I don't have high hopes...
I mean I'm pretty critical about MMO's and I feel this game is pretty decent - be prepared to spend hours and hours on gathering professions as they are pretty vital for later on in the game. Visuals are stunning...I found myself alone in a forest / mountain region and it was breath taking and calming all at once. Enjoy!

The 2000 player server cap seems strangely low to me. How many players could WoW/EQ/Lineage 2/etc servers support back in the day? Seemed like way more than 2000 at the time...
Nah... Back when Everquest had population numbers, the highest servers were hitting about 2500 players. The difference is that EQ was designed with long respawns (30 minutes usually back with the original EQ) so having many people in an area didn't work so those 2500 had to spread out over all the zones to have things to fight. The gameplay helped load balance the server. There was one event where these skeletons would spawn at night that dropped phat lewt (not sure which era that was) that ended up having 500 people per zone and that would then cause problems as people were concentrated in a spot. The world servers which handled logged in didn't ever really seem to bog down at the time though. Later on, EQ must have changed their programming somewhat, and they had issues with the progression server and added their own login queue. Not sure why or what happened there, but they stopped displaying server logins, so I'm not sure how many were actually connected.

Other games like Asheron's Call really had issues with more than 100 people in an area and would give you a "portal storm" which would take people and randomly teleport them away from the area...So the games did have troubles and handled them in different ways.

The world is small but you're constantly running back and forth between places you've already been. Would be nice to at least have a sprint for those times you run to town, take a quest to kill zombies, run to the farm, kill the zombies, run back to town, get a new quest to collect barley from the same farm, run to the farm again, kill zombies and collect barley, run back to town, take a quest to open chests, run to the same farm AGAIN, roll on and on and on.
WoW didn't have mounts till lvl 40. the people who prefer classic wow would disagree with you where as the people who prefer retail would agree. if they put mounts in, then they would need to put more quests in or reduce xp to maintain their target leveling speed. so at the end of the day I'm not sure if it matters.

WoW didn't have mounts till lvl 40. the people who prefer classic wow would disagree with you where as the people who prefer retail would agree. if they put mounts in, then they would need to put more quests in or reduce xp to maintain their target leveling speed. so at the end of the day I'm not sure if it matters.

This world really isn't that big, so I don't think mounts are needed at this point.

Maybe in a few years when the world is much larger, sure.

But as you said, they'd have to definitely lower the XP gained from quests and stuff, and I don't think I'd favor that.

With the few decently placed portals around each zone, getting around is pretty easy once they're unlocked.

It's weird at first to run forever, but I'm used to it.

Classic WoW had you doing multiple quests in the same area and then sending you to new areas so you were able to make the most of your trips. NW is usually 1 (maybe 2 if you're lucky) quest in one section of an area before going back to town and getting new quests that are back at the exact same area. If that weren't enough every area looks/feels the same; farms are the same, wolf caves are the same, mining camps are the same, etc. WoW had much more variation in each area (structures, quest givers, mobs, etc.) so you weren't always seeing the exact same things over and over again. It also helped that fast travel was much easier since windriders were there.

made it to lvl 25 and so far I like it. As much as I want to hate it for being owned by Lex Luthor I cant.
The trading post interface needs work but that is the biggest complaint I have about it.
My RX580 is only getting me 35-40fps in town and 50-60fps out of town, so I may need a upgrade at some point. (med settings)

Really would like to see some UI enhancement mods already, maybe even some node spawn markers like other MMOs have.

Anyone try the Adams enhancement mod?

Last edited:
Just started up and am enjoying it. I like the openness of its weapons system and combat mechanics - really hoping PVP is decent when I get there (only lvl 6 at this point). Also hoping that I can level my toon adequately through PVP, most of my leveling time with Rift was through the PVP queues and I'm hoping I can go through a similar experience with New World.

This world really isn't that big, so I don't think mounts are needed at this point.

Maybe in a few years when the world is much larger, sure.

But as you said, they'd have to definitely lower the XP gained from quests and stuff, and I don't think I'd favor that.

With the few decently placed portals around each zone, getting around is pretty easy once they're unlocked.

It's weird at first to run forever, but I'm used to it.
I don't think it necessarily needs mounts but the travel time back and forth is too much. At the very least, they should cut the recall time in half. I hate having to think about prioritizing my run upon leaving a settlement so I don't feel like I'm wasting extra amounts of time playing running simulator. The map isn't that big no, but the back and forth fetch quests and how far you can potentially go per quest pick up equates to a lot of time spent doing nothing. Yes, you can stop and gather all the way there but still, even that gets kind of tiresome especially if you're just trying to progress.

Seen this game for the first time on a Youtube video where the game actually made a RTX 3090 start smoking. Game looks interesting but I am paranoid that it might kill my Laptop. If I do decide to get this game what can I do to prevent this from happening?

Seen this game for the first time on a Youtube video where the game actually made a RTX 3090 start smoking. Game looks interesting but I am paranoid that it might kill my Laptop. If I do decide to get this game what can I do to prevent this from happening?
The issue is inherent to the bad design of the 3090 and lack of fail safes. Your laptop will be fine :)

easiest is to turn on vsync or enable a frame rate limiter.

The issue is inherent to the bad design of the 3090 and lack of fail safes. Your laptop will be fine :)
its not just 3090s, they are just the majority.

How we all doing on this game so far?

About 40 hours in and only just hit level 25 tonight. I know, kind of slacking on the leveling speed, but I've been focusing on getting my tradeskills up too.

Honestly, the game has taken off at this level IMHO. Just in the last level or two I did a 5 person dungeon, got up to speed with the story missions, started over at a new zone(lvl 25 to 32?), got a ton of new gear and pretty much got every crafting and trade level to at least 75 now.

Was about to buy a house and then realized I don't need one right now. Just going to take ten minutes for each new zone and just teleport all my storage crap to new zone storage/village and go from there.

Gonna try out PVP next time I'm on.

So far, digging the new zone and being geared out in all blue and then finally getting to join a dungeon was really cool. Wow, lot of good drops in those. On top of that, I'm all set to start taking on those rift things.

Also: focusing on strength and constitution only. While I use the bow here and there, I'm still digging smacking the everloving piss out of fools with my Warhammer. I'm seeing a 3rd weapon slot unlocks at lvl30 or 35? Is this correct? If so, I'll add the life staff to my repertoire then. DPS with heals sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Been playing off and on and about to hit level 37. Could be faster but i'm leveling gathering, mining, etc so spend time doing that while on the way to the quest areas. Slow but coming along nicely so far.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it - combat is alot more involved than your standard MMO. I'm mostly focused on leveling/main story/faction. Once I hit 60, then I'm going to take a closer look at PVP/crafting.

Biggest complaint about the game so far is the lack of mount. Fast Travel spots are plentiful and spread out well enough, but I mostly enjoy traveling by foot and wish there was a way to increase that foot speed (by mount).

Game is definitely giving me a 'Rift 2.0' vibe with its portaling sytstem, corruption events, and general aesthetic.

Been playing off and on and about to hit level 37. Could be faster but i'm leveling gathering, mining, etc so spend time doing that while on the way to the quest areas. Slow but coming along nicely so far.

Have you been involved in any wars yet? Also, how many dungeons(expeditions) are there available for you at your level?

I picked this up, liking it so far. Haven't really played an MMO since I quit WoW years ago. No monthly fee means I don't feel like I need to play enough to justify the monthly cost so that's a good thing :) Being around at the beginning of an MMO is fun too - lot of people in the starting zones, everyone getting acclimated at the same time.

I'm only level 17, so far have been running sword and board with musket. The musket started out pretty slow but now that I've unlocked the rapid firing stance and trap I can bring down single enemy targets pretty easily and often don't even get hit. Normal reload is slow though so a decent penalty for missing a shot. Haven't done any PVP yet but looks like it should be fun when I get to that point.

I went ahead and bought the game. Been enjoying it so far. Made it to level 17.

I did see my CPU Temps hit upper 90s on my laptop. Something that don't happen to often on my system. I turned off Afterburner so I didn't stress over it and trust my system will be safe.

I went ahead and bought the game. Been enjoying it so far. Made it to level 17.

I did see my CPU Temps hit upper 90s on my laptop. Something that don't happen to often on my system. I turned off Afterburner so I didn't stress over it and trust my system will be safe.

Turn your nameplate counter down to like 15, that significantly reduced the stress on my CPU. See if that helps.

No in game mail system, no travel to group member either... damn.

They need both of those.

No in game mail system, no travel to group member either... damn.

They need both of those.
Mail goes against the economy and location game.

Travel to group member is another one that would go directly against the game's design.

Mail goes against the economy and location game.

Travel to group member is another one that would go directly against the game's design.

How so? Just tax the mail based on the areas tax rate. No?

As for group travel, charge the fee and limit it to once an hour or something lol.

I was initially pretty unimpressed but after putting a few more hours in I've really been having a good time. I was doing some quests in an area and saw some guys running into a Corruption so I ran over and helped. I was 5-7 levels lower than everyone else (18 I think) but they invited to the group and I followed them around working on Corruptions for a while before they took me into the mine Expedition (Amrine?). I was leveling Warhammer and felt like I was doing a lot of damage even when compared to the higher level players. Made a few friends and was invited to a Company. I discovered that running the areas that are a few levels above you are the most fun; The broken obelisk and the huge temple areas look amazing at dawn/dusk/night. A friend of mine bought in and we've been running around doing quests and it's been a blast mowing down mobs and teaching him how the systems work and showing him the areas.

There are a ton of copy-paste areas; every cave, farm, pirate camp, obelisk, etc. feels the same but the combat is pretty fun so it's not as bad as I originally thought. I haven't tried much PVP yet. I took the Faction PVP quests one time and completed a couple but ended up getting ganked while fighting and ended up losing all progress on those quests.

My tips:

1) Harvest every node you run across while leveling. It doesn't take long for most of them and you'll be grateful when you get to an area that's full of silver veins or some other gathering node you haven't seen much of. Logging seems to be the worst since the second tier of trees are lvl 50 while the other professions have nodes that are around 25 or so. I probably spent 600G or so buying enchanted tools from the auction house; the increased gathering XP and rare item find enchants help quite a bit.

2) Try melee weapons. Learning to block at the right times will allow you to take on harder mobs and is a pretty fun mechanic that you don't really get to use to full effect with ranged weapons. They can do really good damage (Warhammer and Hatchet are pretty crazy from what I've seen so far). Warhammer combat in particular feels impactful and destructive.

3) Venture into difficult areas. The game is a lot more fun when you have to worry about dying and have to use proper blocking, LOS, and additional roamers IMO.

4) Respec your stats and talent trees to try different weapon builds (it's free until lvl 20)

5) Take in the sights and explore out of the way while you're out wandering. You'll often run into interesting areas and wander upon gathering nodes that other players haven't found yet.

Agreed with the copy paste levels, only to an extent. I think it's more copy pasted based on the similar recommended levels of multiple zones. So for example, the lower level zones will obviously share similar NPCs, quests and landscapes. I think this is common with most MMOs.However, I was completely blown away by the 25 to 35 level zone(brightwood?). That particular zone looks like a page out of a Dark Souls/Bloodborne game. Seriously a complete flip in theme with dark, creepy and odd like monsters and tone. Demonic looking farmers with strange back packs to a creepy cemetery and eerie forest locations to a huge tauren looking boss too.

Best looking MMO, period.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, but been busy lately. Haven't really done much dungeons and not really interested in PvP atm since most players nowadays have no clue what it means or how to do it without Zerging. (Maybe later on though) Been mainly questing and raising gathering skills pretty much. Have been doing the Deadcove Elite area, but that's not really a dungeon. Is a decent chest/supply gathering area though.

20211011172550_1.jpg

20211017170015_1.jpg

20211017170608_1.jpg

20211013004300_1.jpg

Damn this game is gorgeous.

Last edited:
its hard for me to launch this game but when I am playing its hard to stop. kinda strange. to get good gear, do I have to craft or can I get it from dungeons?

its hard for me to launch this game but when I am playing its hard to stop. kinda strange. to get good gear, do I have to craft or can I get it from dungeons?
Crafting, dungeons, pvp rewards, general enemy drops, trade market, quest rewards, faction item shop, world chests/crates.
Loot every where! Lol.

What level are you?

Thanks for insight in this thread everyone! Game visually looks great but i'm skipping this one. Click/target MMOs are my preference anyways, just never been a fan of this style.

Should hit 45 by the weekend if not more. (Just hit 42.5 last night) Am able to kill 49 and just barely level 50 mobs at that range. Elites i have no chance at all atm unless grouped up. lol
Am mainly playing a Lifestaff/Rapier build atm, (Both about lvl 15) but have Firestaff and musket at around level 12 also. Been seeing a lot of lower level healers but not as many at the higher levels. Guess some get tired of playing it after awhile. :unsure:

Back