New work monitor for an old work computer

swingdjted

Limp Gawd
Good day fellow [H]ardForumers,

I am back to working onsite rather than at home. My onsite monitor is 1440x900 and is small. I brought in my own personal Samsung SyncMaster 275t+ (27", 1920x1200, around $900 back in 2008) for a couple days back in early March before we were all sent home to work, and I feel I was able to work more efficiently due to scrolling much less often. Comparing data without so much scrolling keeps my brain focused and helps in decision making. Also, something about the screen seemed easier on the eyes during extended periods of work. It's a high end monitor, but I'm not sure I have the vocabulary/jargon to describe why it seems better. I would love to bring that monitor back to work and leave it there, but I use it often at home to do personal finance, online shopping, and other home-related work.

Is there a comparable monitor on the market today that I could convince my employer to buy?

Here's my limitations:
First, finding a 27" 1920x1200 monitor seems difficult. Is there a similar but not exact size at around 1200 pixels tall?
Also, the computer I have at work has integrated graphics, and the blue VGA output is the only output. Is there a way to adapt that to allow a newer monitor that does not have a VGA input? I view mostly data on spreadsheets and reports and all sorts of communication software, so having extremely powerful video processing isn't important, although we do often have multi-member virtual meetings on Microsoft Teams, which sometimes has live videos from multiple sources, and sometimes our trainings are in 1080p video.

I'm afraid to go too high in resolution because I don't want to lean in and/or squint. I'm afraid to go too low because I want to view a lot of data without scrolling. 1200-1440 pixels tall would be ideal if the monitor was around 27". Also, any technology that keeps the monitor easy on the eyes helps. I usually use dark or reduced blue themes when available because of this, but I was meaning more quality hardware to keep the image clean and accurate. There are often days when I spend over 8 hours on my work screen, so I want something that'll be easy on me while allowing me to be productive.

I do not want dual monitors, and I'd likely not be approved to buy them anyway.

Do any of you have good ideas for what to buy?

Probably 1440p is your best bet. There are lots of options at the size.

Text might be a little small at 1440p but it should be readable. 1080p is also not horrible, but may not be great for work.

VGA adapters are not a problem, though I think some older or office monitors might still have VGA if you want to avoid adapters.

I'd really like height/swivel/tilt as that would keep me from buying a separate mounting kit, but I think most decent monitors include that.

What features or types of display technology are better for long term use to reduce eye strain? What brands seem best for reliability?

I've been using LG and they've been great. I would suggest IPS for the best all around quality.

I read on another web site that the old blue VGA cables don't support newer resolutions. Is this true? My 12 year old 1920x1200 monitor seems to work fine with a VGA cable when needed but I usually use a DVI cable for it. Would a 2560x1440 resolution be supported by the old VGA cable? If not, I may have to convince work to buy a new computer, or at least a better graphics card. I'll have to go into the box and see what kind of expansion slots the thing has, but I already know they're already limited to half-height/low profile cards.

The computer has a quad core processor and a decent amount of RAM, so it is adequate for work (for now), and because of this I was hoping to use money budgeted to me this year for a good monitor, then next year for the computer tower. If I do it all in one year it'll make me cut performance on both. That's why I was hoping to have a reverse compatible monitor just to buy me this one year.

You can get converters but you lose some quality going from analog to digital.

So the decision makers at work are telling me that I could potentially get a new computer too, provided it's within a reasonable price range. Not sure what that would be for them yet, but for the purposes of this thread, that means I'm not limited to just VGA video out anymore. So I'm looking at this Dell monitor now:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-monitor-u2719d/apd/210-arcv

Things I like:
1440p
IPS technology
height adjust (good because lining up eyes with top is recommended ergonomics)
tilt adjust (in case there's glare from lights if the anti-glare measures aren't enough)
swivel adjust (I very often have to turn my screen to show someone at another pert of my desk what I'm refrencing)
Pivot adjust (in rare cases I may want a vertical screen for longer data lists, and I think a simple hotkey combination can adjust the orientation)
Anti-glare and polarizing (prevents overhead fluorescent light reflection from giving me headaches or eyestrain)
It's a USB3 hub with a power charger option.
The price is pretty reasonable.

Question:
Does this thing have any drawbacks for office use that you can foresee?

By office use, I mean reviewing and producing/inputting data, Microsoft Teams video conferencing, Microsoft Office, viewing training videos likely no more than 1080p, web browsing, and other related tasks. I often use two windows side by side for decision making, comparing, and referencing one while entering information on the other, but I don't think a dual monitor setup would be as comfortable as just using two windows on one 27" screen.

This monitor will not be used for entertainment as it will stay at my workplace. No gaming or entertainment videos. If it isn't 623,892 frames per second or less than a millisecond response time, that's ok.

Brightness and contrast didn't seem all that great; is this a concern as far as causing annoyances with office work?

Anyone know how to look up whether or not this thing has the dreaded PWM (pulse width modulation) brightness adjustment vs. something better? And on that note, what alternatives are available that are better?

Back