New work laptop - looking to extend life of SSD

Version_3

2[H]4U
I got a Dell Latitude E6530 for my development machine, i7, 16GB ram, nvidia, etc.. but there's also an SSD in it.

I'm familiar with Intel and Samsung's latest as I have one of each at home. However, the one in the dell is some OEM from Lite-On with the device name of "LITEONIT LCS-256M6S 2.5". I can't find anything on Google about it, and there's no software listed on Dell.com for maintenance of this thing.

I've seen prefetch and superfetch as being recommended to be disabled, and I know not to defrag, but is there anything else that I should do to keep this drive tip-top?

Well, what OS is going to be used by it? Windows 7, for the most part, is pretty good at handling SSD's in the proper manner, with little or no input from the user.

Just ensure that you don't fill the drive up too much (Some people recommend don't go past 60-80% utilization), as once you get past a certain percentage (which varies per SSD), your performance will get KILLED because the drive won't be able to do internal file-swapping properly or fast enough.

Other then that, just check the health of the SSD. Run CrystalDiskInfo, which will give you a "percentage" of health, as well as all the SMART info, and so on.

Honestly, the average SSD will last for decades in terms of the lifetime read/write cycles it has. Odds are, it'll still outlast the laptop itself. A current gen SSD could potentially last for 100 years for its Read/write cycles. The circuit board/controller will likely die first, and even then those are likely to last for years.

All you need to do, is of course ensure adequate full backup of any important information, in the case of failure.

Personally I wouldn't do most of these things that date back to early 32GB SSDs where every bit counted and we feared our SSDs would die after months if not careful (it actually happened to my first SSD, but it was probably the controller).

superfetch, prefetch and indexing are fine, for example

Back