New Windows 10 Privacy Controls: Just A Little Snooping…

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a future update, Windows 10 users will be getting a tweaked privacy control panel that will make it easier to turn off telemetry—well, almost. There will be a “basic” and “full” level: the latter is recommended for those who don’t value their privacy whatsoever (it even sends your inking/typing data), while the preferable setting only records the basic stuff like your hardware and apps installed…

Microsoft will soon roll out, in an upcoming update, simplified categories for the telemetry settings: basically it's on or almost off, depending on your edition of Windows 10. This change is due to be pushed out to the general public in the Windows 10 Creators Update slated for the spring. For Windows 10 Home and Pro editions, gone is the "enhanced" setting level, leaving users to select from the "basic" or "full" telemetry plans. Microsoft says it will reduce the amount of data it collects under the "basic" plan, allowing peeps with Home and Pro editions to somewhat limit the transfer of information back to Redmond.

Yay, more options that'll just reset on you at the next major update!

Windows 10 is dead. Windows 7 beat it 2:1 in December... you can't even buy Windows 7 directly any more.

I moved all my computers to Linux Mint back in October. All my hardware just works, all my favorite games are Linux native. 1/3 my Steam library and 1/4 of all games in the store are Linux native. Its an actual desktop OS with no Phablet crap or apps. No data mining or settings that randomly switch back. You really don't need to put up with Microsoft any more, Linux has become a viable desktop/gaming OS.

How hard would it be to have 3 settings: "Full", "Basic" or "None" ?

Imaging how much good will that would create.

None really has not been the case though for a long time. Windows Update has always sent data back to Microsoft along with Windows Defender and the malicious software removal tool.

You can turn it all off. There is about 10 services that control the whole thing. Microsoft hides most of them. Even if your in services there not there.
The services are the following. CDPUserSvc,MessagingService,OneSyncSvc,PimIndexMaintenanceSvc,UnistoreSvc,UserDataSvc,WpnUserService and WpnService.

I have disabled all these services on Pro and Home machines never had one issue running anything else.

Its a good start. A few more moves and Windows 10 might end up being an OK operating system.
  • Tell us exactly what data is sent and to where in the 'Basic' setting (to make it easier to block).
  • Let us choose which updates we want and when so we can choose to delay those system breaking updates.
  • Give us full control over the operating system installed on OUR computers. Some of us dont want the dumbed-down tablet 'experience'.
  • Stop assuming you know best when it comes to how we want to use our computers. You are not Apple.

How hard would it be to have 3 settings: "Full", "Basic" or "None" ?

Imaging how much good will that would create.
Because they probably will have some BS excuse like "turning off telemetry completely will make some services not work such as out awesome cortana or the windows store" Same crap when the XB1 was originally going to require the kinect plugged in at all times and then later they came out and said "jk is doesnt have to be" after so many people bitched.

Windows 10 is dead. Windows 7 beat it 2:1 in December... you can't even buy Windows 7 directly any more.

I moved all my computers to Linux Mint back in October. All my hardware just works, all my favorite games are Linux native. 1/3 my Steam library and 1/4 of all games in the store are Linux native. Its an actual desktop OS with no Phablet crap or apps. No data mining or settings that randomly switch back. You really don't need to put up with Microsoft any more, Linux has become a viable desktop/gaming OS.

Wow, you've got this memorized. And it's funny how you ignore the drop in Linux in that same survey which also show macOS showing a big drop off. That survey also showed Windows XP growing in share, and you can't by that one either. And Windows combined market share grew almost 0.8% to well over 91% on the desktop market, which I think pretty much didn't happen. The month to month numbers don't mean a whole lot.

Its a good start. A few more moves and Windows 10 might end up being an OK operating system.
  • Tell us exactly what data is sent and to where in the 'Basic' setting (to make it easier to block).
  • Let us choose which updates we want and when so we can choose to delay those system breaking updates.
  • Give us full control over the operating system installed on OUR computers. Some of us dont want the dumbed-down tablet 'experience'.
  • Stop assuming you know best when it comes to how we want to use our computers. You are not Apple.
  • Being able to actually block everything with a firewall?

Wow, you've got this memorized. And it's funny how you ignore the drop in Linux in that same survey which also show macOS showing a big drop off. That survey also showed Windows XP growing in share, and you can't by that one either. And Windows combined market share grew almost 0.8% to well over 91% on the desktop market, which I think pretty much didn't happen. The month to month numbers don't mean a whole lot.
You cant argue though that the reason why Windows 10 was "adopted" so fast was because many peoples computers upgraded without their knowledge. If that didnt happen im pretty sure the market share rates would be a lot lower.

People are abandoning 10 for 7, but 7 is on life support anyway. A big reason I gave up on 7 early was that the update system was no longer working consistently and reloading a clean image means waiting forever for updates.

If you had told me a year ago I'd be switching to Linux on the desktop I would have laughed at you. I'm really glad Heatlessun convinced me to give it another shot. All my hardware works, all my favorite games are Linux native... I go weeks at a time without having to deal with Windows.

Why MS? Just, why?

Because fuck you, thats why. Now bend over.

LOL, puny victim, is not your computer anymore, it belongs to MS and NSA.

Because they probably will have some BS excuse like "turning off telemetry completely will make some services not work such as out awesome cortana or the windows store" Same crap when the XB1 was originally going to require the kinect plugged in at all times and then later they came out and said "jk is doesnt have to be" after so many people bitched.

They already did say something stupid, in the lines that they wouldnt be able to update the computer, even though, Linux and macOS can do proper updates without sending every damn keystroke back to them

You cant argue though that the reason why Windows 10 was "adopted" so fast was because many peoples computers upgraded without their knowledge. If that didnt happen im pretty sure the market share rates would be a lot lower.

Please dont feed the local troll.

I've always said that I thought that Microsoft was too aggressive with the free Windows 10 update and that it wasn't handled well until the end of the period. With new PC sales slumping for the last five years, clearly 10's numbers would have been much lower without the upgrade period. The slump in new sales is the main reason why I expected 10's growth to be sluggish until businesses start their migrations.

The problem is when it's set to basic, ComptTelRunner.exe still peaks your daily cpu and disk useage, making the system less responsive and noisy for several minutes while it scans your file system. If they wanted to deep scan your files they could at least index them for the next daily scan. Even if you disable the two services and two categories of scheduled tasks for telemetry, it will still ignore those settings and find another way to run. Yesterday, I expanded the number of registry blocks I had for the telemetry service to include the group policy settings, disabled automatic installation of sponsored aps, disabled ad suggestions and ad notifications. Then I replaced the exe with a blank text document and denied the system permission to access it. Now I understand what people were complaining about in the beginning. They really do need better privacy controls that respect the users privacy, instead of ignoring system settings and running anyway.

They already did say something stupid, in the lines that they wouldnt be able to update the computer, even though, Linux and macOS can do proper updates without sending every damn keystroke back to them

LOL!

And the Winter release will remove the Full and Basic options and just send everything you do to MS. Because Nadella.

Yada, yada, Linux, yada, yada, Windows 10, yada, yada, telemetry, yada, yada, 1/4 my games work in Linux, yada, yada, Kinect evl, yada, yada......... Same thing, different day.

Pot meet kettle.

How can the MoG do the exact same thing it accuses others of doing? Holding a fixed position and repeating it beyond ad nauseum.

That's nice but, this is supposed to be a thread about Windows 10 and all I am hearing is how evil Windows is and how wonderful Linux is. No pot calling kettle black here, just seeing things as they are.

It's hilarious how there's numerous stats proving Linux market share has grown considerably, but you ignore those.

I honestly think you either have shares in Microsoft or work for them, the extreme extent of your bias is so blatantly obvious.

Yay, more options that'll just reset on you at the next major update!

And that's so annoying. Most settings survive the update just fine, except a few key ones that only benefit MS. It's pretty blantant. Privacy, WU, and default browser seem to be popular resetting ones.

It's hilarious how there's numerous stats proving Linux market share has grown considerably, but you ignore those.

I honestly think you either have shares in Microsoft or work for them, the extreme extent of your bias is so blatantly obvious.

I didn't ignore them, I'm simply trying to about for ones that aren't as favorable. Just like Windows 10. It's clearly doing much better with gamers than the general PC market, sort of the opposite of what I think Linux is doing.

Last edited:
That's nice but, this is supposed to be a thread about Windows 10 and all I am hearing is how evil Windows is and how wonderful Linux is. No pot calling kettle black here, just seeing things as they are.

Yeah, Linux is great because it runs 1/3rd of someone's games. 1/3rd is generally considered a failure outside of a curve system.

I love Windows.....7

I love Windows.....7

I don't love Windows so much as I love what it supports. It's simply got by far the best desktop ecosystem. And as has been one of Windows' strengths, that ecosystem gets preserved from one version to the next. The only thing that I personally lost in going from 8.1 to 10 is Windows Media Center, and the ONLY thing that did that's not easy to replace is CableCard support. A bit of a bummer but with online TV Streaming, Hulu, etc. that's not really that big of deal these days. And OTA/ClearQAM still works perfectly with my old tuners in 10.

Windows has always had its issues and Windows 10 is no different, but 10, there's just so much stuff it supports. I do think that opponents sometimes forget this enormous strength of Windows and don't realize that 1/3rd working isn't such a great thing when people have come to expect close to 100% backwards compatibility.

People are abandoning 10 for 7, but 7 is on life support anyway. A big reason I gave up on 7 early was that the update system was no longer working consistently and reloading a clean image means waiting forever for updates.

If you had told me a year ago I'd be switching to Linux on the desktop I would have laughed at you. I'm really glad Heatlessun convinced me to give it another shot. All my hardware works, all my favorite games are Linux native... I go weeks at a time without having to deal with Windows.

check out the convenience update that came out a few months ago. kinda like service pack 2 for win 7. brings you up to date till august(?) 2016. I almost pissed my pants when I discovered it.

100% of my games run on Windows 7.

The same would be true of me and Windows 10. Those that actively reject Windows 10 are obviously not adopting anything that's Windows 10 only. As I'm not on those people I have a lot that's not backwards compatible with 10 though 99% of my games would work. Honestly, I have no idea how all of the hardware and software I have would work with 7. Sites like this have long abandoned Windows 7 for hardware and software reviews. Who the hell is running dual 1080s under Windows 7 for instance?

And that's something I've tried to tell folks but as usual the same nonsense. All the stuff PC hardware I bought last year, every single review of it was under Windows 10. There's NOTHING online about the kind of hardware and software I'm running on anything other than 10. The idea that 10 is dead is beyond silly. Show me where Windows 7 is being tested and used on the latest and greatest hardware on sites like this. That's not to say that 7 can't do most all of it, but at this point at this point, few give a shit about how an OS entering its eighth year works with the latest and greatest PC hardware and software.

i read the weasle words in that marketing document. ffs. it makes me sick how they say a hell of a lot of "feels" but nothing of actual substance and the weasle words are just insulting.

"buzzword buzzword revolutionary experience buzzword we really didn't change anything just limited the amount of options... again. buzzword innovative experience buzzword buzzword collecting information for a better experience buzzword buzzword we've changed a LOT but nothing has changed because you still can't do what you really want and we know it buzzword buzzword"

fkn sickening.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I only use CP/M. Ya'll bitch about Windows 10, but if you're using Windows, or Linux with any GUI, you're not [H] you're just [s]. CLI = [H] everything else is for newbs with no skillz.

No.
Take the L on this one. There exists a site like this one where they are testing the latest (Kaby Lake is the latest) hardware out there on Windows 7 therefore your statement is untrue. Or refuse to admit you are wrong and keep changing your argument.

Also "Money No Object - Intel Core i7-6950X. Money No Object is a somewhat silly proposition. If you really want a severe blow-out on a self-build, charging after multiple Titan X(P) cards and the best system money can buy, you don't really need a guide to select the most expensive thing on the menu." - http://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

So debatable.

Again, LOL! My sig rig is a considerably better and more powerful piece of hardware than what's in this AnandTech article. And yeah, I know Titan Pascals are better than 1080s. Like 6950x is to a 7600K.

Back