New Windows 10 install, no network

DPO

Weaksauce
I just built a new system, installed win 10 via a USB, can't get on my home network as windows will not ask for network password. The network is up and working fine, device mgr shows realtec Ethernet adapter on mobo and working. Windows says it finds no network. Should I have posted this in networks?

Last edited:
I would start with the mobo manufacturers drivers. This is not abnormal, at times USB 3 and network/wifi drivers are not installed with the windows install especially on laptops.

Why would you need a network password on an Ethernet connection?
(You plug the network cable in and it connects to the router, no password needed.)

Sounds like you are confusing the Ethernet adapter for a wireless network adapter.

Is the driver installed for the wireless adapter, does it have a wireless adapter?

Why would you need a network password on an Ethernet connection?
(You plug the network cable in and it connects to the router, no password needed.)

Sounds like you are confusing the Ethernet adapter for a wireless network adapter.

Is the driver installed for the wireless adapter, does it have a wireless adapter?

Lets walk through this one step at a time. Let me start by capturing what I think your existing environment is:

You have an existing network. You mentioned a Realtec Ethernet adapter, so I assume this means you are wired rather than wireless. No mention of whether the existing network provides internet access, but its probably safe to assume it does.

OK- When you say you cant get on the home network, this could mean a couple different things. One meaning could be you are net receiving an IP address so the computer is showing as not being connected. The other interpretation could be that you *do* have an IP address and are able to get to the internet, but you are unable to get to shared resources on the network itself (such as file shares). Can you confrim which scenario you are having?

No I'm not trying to connect wireless sorry, I thought I needed the router pw , perhaps not. So I have a new install of win 10 on a brand new Pc and it will not recognize my network. Sorry.

If you are connected via a wired network cable, then you dont need any password information. What is the ethernet cable you are using on the computer being plugged into? Directly to your router? Or is it on a switch, etc.?? Long story short is your computer needs to have an IP address and while you can set them manually, most networks have a DHCP server hand out the IPs. Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and paste the results.

I am wired in directly to my router, I can unplug the same line plug it into my old computer that I was just using and everything works fine. Right now I am posting Via mobile. All windows says is unknown network, no traffic.

Lets walk through this one step at a time. Let me start by capturing what I think your existing environment is:

You have an existing network. You mentioned a Realtec Ethernet adapter, so I assume this means you are wired rather than wireless. No mention of whether the existing network provides internet access, but its probably safe to assume it does.

OK- When you say you cant get on the home network, this could mean a couple different things. One meaning could be you are net receiving an IP address so the computer is showing as not being connected. The other interpretation could be that you *do* have an IP address and are able to get to the internet, but you are unable to get to shared resources on the network itself (such as file shares). Can you confrim which scenario you are having?
First scenario...and thx

First let me apologize for being confused about the password it's been a long time since I had to hook a new computer up to this network. Sorry if I haven't been real clear I am trying to type on mobile under troubleshooting Windows tells me ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration

First let me apologize for being confused about the password it's been a long time since I had to hook a new computer up to this network. Sorry if I haven't been real clear I am trying to type on mobile under troubleshooting Windows tells me ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration
I have also downloaded and installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers from ASRock via USB

Router reset is a good suggestion.

You've already checked the device and driver - going to assume that's ok at the moment.

Are you certain your getting an address from DHCP/router ("Obtain an IP address Automatically")? Make sure it's an address from your subnet -- it should be identical to any other device IP address on the network except for the last set of numbers -- usually something like 192.168.1.xxx. If your not getting a DHCP address are you able to assign a static IP on your subnet and have that work?

Are you certain the cable is good? (I see you say you plug the same line into your computer, just making sure it's the same cable and all here).

If you get through all that, the next thing to do is try a USB ethernet adapter and see if that works - I have seen NICs go bad before, but it's probably the least likely thing.

Last edited:
So far I have updated , chipset drivers and bios. Unable to obtain an IP address. Doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Weird thing is I can't access the router settings via 192.168.1.x , but if I unplug my cable and plug it in anything else it works. Device manager shows the ethernet card on and running with updated drivers

Hold down the reset button on the router until something happens. Or Google your router model for factory reset instructions. Your router isn’t giving an IP to the PC, so factory resetting the router may fix it.

Install LAN drivers from site also? Ethernet cables connect to a LAN port so chipset drivers aren't really gonna solve the problem.

Never trust Windows for hardware drivers.

Its pretty clear at this point you are not getting an IP address from your router. You could validate this by running that command I gave you earlier but whatever. There are a couple more things you could do to specifically narrow down the problem, but these also require you to do things from a command prompt and not sure you're up to doing those things.

Open up your network settings for the card and double click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP-IPv4)"

upload_2017-10-22_19-58-30.png

Hit the box to "Use the Following IP Address" and type in the info below:

upload_2017-10-22_20-0-10.png

Then try it and see if your internet works. If it doesnt, then you either have a bad cable, bad network card, or bad port on whatever the cable is plugged into.

Then try it and see if your internet works. If it doesnt, then you either have a bad cable, bad network card, or bad port on whatever the cable is plugged into.

...or he has some wonky settings on the router and it decided to stop giving that PC an IP.

Did a factory reset on the router still doesn't work on the new pc works fine on the old PC I even used a new cable so the cables not the issue either it tells me that I am connected but access is limited and I'm on an unidentified network. Thanks for everybody's input I certainly appreciate it. I'll keep trying thanks. And as I mentioned above it does tell me that I am not obtaining an IP address

Its pretty clear at this point you are not getting an IP address from your router. You could validate this by running that command I gave you earlier but whatever. There are a couple more things you could do to specifically narrow down the problem, but these also require you to do things from a command prompt and not sure you're up to doing those things.

Open up your network settings for the card and double click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP-IPv4)"

View attachment 40646

Hit the box to "Use the Following IP Address" and type in the info below:

View attachment 40647

Tried everything in your last post and it still does not work still says unidentified network thanks for trying though guys

Did a factory reset on the router still doesn't work on the new pc works fine on the old PC I even used a new cable so the cables not the issue either it tells me that I am connected but access is limited and I'm on an unidentified network. Thanks for everybody's input I certainly appreciate it. I'll keep trying thanks. And as I mentioned above it does tell me that I am not obtaining an IP address

If it says your access is limited, then you are connected and everything is technically fine. What this is telling you is your DHCP server is not working, so your computer is not getting an IP address. You need to run the setup on your router again.

Can't run the set up and complete it w/o a connection to install the router set up.

Nice. When I finished building the system today I downloaded the chipset drivers the audio driver and the Lan driver from the ASRock website well I read downloaded the Lan driver uninstalled the old one and reinstalled it and it's working. Big thanks to all of you!!

Last edited:
Back