New Win10 Driver Update even when disabled

Brian_B

2[H]4U
Ok, so I had disabled drivers updating - as nVidia 417 series causes my poor 980 to freak out when waking from sleep. I've been happily using 399. WIn10 Home, so I don't have Group Policy editor.

Once i finally figured out that was the issue - I disabled driver updates via this link
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

About two-three weeks later - screen freaked out again. Noticed somewhere Windows decided to upgrade me to 417.1

So I did this via Regedit:
https://superuser.com/questions/964475/how-do-i-stop-windows-10-from-updating-my-graphics-driver

And then again, two-three weeks later (today).... 417.1 again.

Today I downloaded OOSU10, per a recommendation on another thread here. It shows that automatic driver updates are already disabled (I think.. the red/green switch thing is a bit confusion, but after I RTFM I think it says it's disabled)

How do I stop Win10 from updating my driver? Any more tricks out there, I mean, apart from installing Linux or Win7, or upgrading to a non-Maxwell video card... of course.

So the first link you had, I believe that setting only affects PnP device installation (it's a legacy setting from Windows 7). Driver updates through Windows Update is a separate thing, which you disabled via registry.

Based on what you're saying, it's possible the original downloaded driver was not properly removed. Try doing an uninstall of your driver through Control Panel and then verify what driver is installed in Device Manager. Use the Uninstall driver option and use the checkbox to delete the driver. Keep repeating this step until you are back to a basic VGA driver, reboot the PC and see if it tries installing a new driver. If it doesn't, then install the v399 driver again.

You could also use something like this to completely wipe out the GPU drivers. Then reboot and verify nothing installs, then install your driver.

So the first link you had, I believe that setting only affects PnP device installation (it's a legacy setting from Windows 7). Driver updates through Windows Update is a separate thing.

Based on what you're saying, it's possible the driver was not properly removed. Try doing an uninstall of your driver through Control Panel and then verify what driver is installed in Device Manager. Use the Uninstall driver option and use the checkbox to delete the driver. Once you are back to a basic VGA driver, reboot the PC and see if it tries installing a new driver. If it doesn't, then install the v399 driver again.

Good suggestion I had not tried that. Will do so. Thank you.

Back