new whs build, need help with ipmi.

bobstone

Limp Gawd
hey all, I just ordered all the parts for a WHS.
=================================
SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-HF-O
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)
LIAN LI PC-Q08B
SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W
3xSAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB
=================================

I also have 3x1.5tb Seagate HDd's, 2 of which I will slowly migrate in to the server.

I plan to try to run this headless from day one. kinda a test for me since this will be my first server (I have worked on and with servers before but it has been a few years.)

anyways, I am completely clueless on IPMI. for example I head about IP KVM which can either be Side-Band or Out-of-Band. does that mean for best results I should run 2 LAN cables to the computer, one for data and one for IP KVM?

also any general hints about IPMI or a good easy reference for it? I also plan on setting up a DYDNS or similar for this server, how difficult will this be? and can it be done relatively safely?

also any other ideas about what I should do would be helpful.

Thanks all
Bob Stone

I use an IP KVM at work. It's made by avocent. Pretty nice unit...

Each server gets a dongle that plugs into VGA, PS2/usb. That dongle then plugs into a cat5. This is proprietary CAT5, not switchable. So dedicated CAT5 runs to each dongle.

Then your put your IP KVM on the network.

Then you go to http://kvm (or your KVM IP). See your servers there. Then click on one and it loads up a java app that lets you control your server.

Honestly, if you are running a KVM of any sort, I wouldn't exactly call this headless. It just means no monitor sitting right there.

Save yourself the expense of that mess and just bring it in the house, get it all installed and configured, and then put it in your storage closet or whatever. RDP or Logmein into it as needed. If something bad happens bring it back in the house and fix it. Been running my home server like this for years.

Running with an IP KVM and no actual lcd on the KVM would be considered headless (assuming you used something like Avocent and a remote client).

However, IPMI is something totally different.

Just make sure the mobo has a BMC or some sort of backplane controller that is IPMI capable and whether or not it will be run in the same cable (sideband) or a separate cable (out of band) depends on the BMC/mobo design itself. You could take it quite a few steps further but I am assuming you don't want or need switched/metered CDUs and separate bands to cycle power/connect at those levels. With all the excess stuff out there it would be fun and fairly cheap to implement this as long as you're only need single phase 110/20A. Once you go 3 phase/220 it gets expensive

EDIT: Looks like it shared with LAN1 on that mobo.

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/Embedded_BMC_IPMI.pdf

Last edited:
thanks for all the help.

O2Flow, I will look over the lnked man you posted. thanks

Bob

ok.....

IPMI is awesome. it dhcp'ed an address, and I am connected to it, have not plugged in anything to the new computer but power and lan. running Memtest86 from iso that is virtualized to the server as a cd-rom, dang this is impressive!!

was messing around in bios from console also,

I am impressed, for future refrence, is IPMI something that I can find on a gaming MB?

Bob

ok.....

IPMI is awesome. it dhcp'ed an address, and I am connected to it, have not plugged in anything to the new computer but power and lan. running Memtest86 from iso that is virtualized to the server as a cd-rom, dang this is impressive!!

was messing around in bios from console also,

I am impressed, for future refrence, is IPMI something that I can find on a gaming MB?

Bob

Depends on the manufacturer. You'll find it on most server grade stuff. Try bouncing power on 60 nodes with one command ;) IMO it's the most overlooked technology of the past few years in regards to datacenters.

heres image

btw is 42c ok for an atom 510 cpu ?

remote.jpg

one question did arise however.

any way to use IPMI to mount a virtual floppy? with out me owning any kind of floppy drive ?
I see that it says floppy/hdd under virtual storage options but, when i go there it does not give me the option for floppy.

How did you mount the CD drive? is that part of the IPMI View program. My version is 2.7.13...

Does anyone have a link to the download of the program? I can't seem to find my install disk....

Back