New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

well returned my first one because of the brightness buzzing and the backlight bleeding, new one i got has zero backlight bleeding but one dead pixel which i will be able to live with and the buzzing doesn't occur now.

Well I tell you when I first got westy I was very dissapointed I had tearing in movies and images just didn't look right. I called tech support all I did was get the latest ATI drivers after that I said damn this looks good.I am using a DVI cable and man this sh*t is a bad ass monitor. No dead pixels and movies and games look very very good. I have had it for almost a month now with no problems. I am glad I kept this monitor. I had a ACER 1916 before and this beats it hands down. I like it too because now when people come in my house they always ask about the monitor

PScherer79 said:
Best Buy will first try to repair it (send it off to their service center) at no cost to you. If it is too costly or can't be fixed then they will replace the monitor. Their policy is to replace it with another monitor of similar technology. If they can't find something similar, then they will give you a $199 (price you paid on black friday, not original price) credit to put towards another monitor. They just won't exceed the price you paid for the monitor.

It is worth it on few items (laptops, cameras, camcorders, plasmas, LCD TV's and monitors, etc.). If it's $25 for 3 year coverage, that's not bad and worth it.

I use to work at Best Buy so I am aware of the Performance Service Plans. Hopefully this helps.

Man I completely forgot about doing this...

Can I buy the plan at a different Best Buy? The one I went to on BF is farther than the one I normally go to. So it should be $25, and I should still be able to get since it's been like 20 days?

Thanks

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
Man I completely forgot about doing this...

Can I buy the plan at a different Best Buy? The one I went to on BF is farther than the one I normally go to. So it should be $25, and I should still be able to get since it's been like 20 days?

Thanks

Yes, you can add the Performance Service Plan (PSP) at any best buy. You can add it in California, and bring the monitor to a Best Buy in Florida. It is covered anywhere in the USA and some internation coverage. Be aware, you can usually only add it on within 14 days of your purchase date. I'm not sure what the price is for the PSP is now. It will probably be between $25 - $50 depending on how much the monitor is.

slumpey said:
Yes, you can add the Performance Service Plan (PSP) at any best buy. You can add it in California, and bring the monitor to a Best Buy in Florida. It is covered anywhere in the USA and some internation coverage. Be aware, you can usually only add it on within 14 days of your purchase date. I'm not sure what the price is for the PSP is now. It will probably be between $25 - $50 depending on how much the monitor is.

Some people on this thread said I could do it within 30 days and it would be $25. Hope they're right :(

Hey guys I've had this monitor for a day or two and getting the buzzing noise a few of you have mentioned. I discovered a fix kind of, but not permanent. What I did was squeeze the area of the westy where the buzzing is coming from; on mine its on the lower right 4-5 inches from the edge. I just squeeze it or flick it with my finger whenever it bugs me, and it goes away. Hopefully this will help you all enjoy your monitors even more. peace.

I saw a lot of these monitors on ebay brand new in the 300-340 price range. I think I'm going to go ahead and pick one up once I get my money (sometime in jan) unless the LG comes out by then and out preforms it. Sounds like all of you who hooked it up to the 360 really enjoy it

chino182 said:
can i hook my ps3 using a hdmi to dvi cable?

I was wondering the same to I went a head and got a HDMI/DVI comversion cable from walmart. I got home and hooke dup the cable but the monitor does not detect any signal from the Ps3. Any one know what's going on?

onetouch40 said:
I was wondering the same to I went a head and got a HDMI/DVI comversion cable from walmart. I got home and hooke dup the cable but the monitor does not detect any signal from the Ps3. Any one know what's going on?

i tried it too. and what the problem is the westinghouse dvi-d doesnt support the dvi-hdcp protocol ..

correct me if i'm wrong.. i'm hoping i'm wrong..

Also does anyone know the best setting on an nVidia for playing DVDs? I have a 7900GT and am wondering what the best settings for video playback are, like what level of noise reduction and stuff? Anything I do seems to give it bad picture quality and ghosting/tearing

So is there no way to force the monitor to display a specific aspect ratio with VGA/DVI? This sucks because it makes older games look horrible (Like Starcraft, which runs at 640 x 480), and I was planning on using it with my Dreamcast via VGA (But DC games are 4:3).

^ I would like to know how to do this also. I heard several ppl on other forums say that this will work, so there must be a way

I received on of these for Christmas today and hook it up via VGA for now. Dang it dwarfs the 17" LCD it replaced, and I used to think that was plenty big. I am very happy with it, also happy that it is big enough to also be my TV, since the desk I'm building doesn't have room for a TV (my TV is a 27", so screen size-wise, the LCD is bigger). I'm happy with the default settings, except that I had to drop brightness down to 25 because 100 burned my eyes at about 3ft.

However, mine has some backlight bleeding. And since I've never had a LCD with it, I was wondering if some of you could comment if it is an excessive amount or not. I can only notice it if the screen is total black. The picture is pretty accurate in terms of the amount.

DSCF0032.jpg

Other than the backlight bleeding, I am very happy with mine and glad I got it.

Is anyone using the 22" Westy in a dual or tri monitor configuration? Bezel is not ideal but might not be too bad as long as you are not stacking them

The wife brought me the 20.1" Westy for christmas thinking it was the same thing as what I have. That bezel is totally different. I would not mind the second monitor having a different size/aspect ration but I'm not sure I like the 1400x1050 vs the standard 1600x1200.....

VGplay said:
I received on of these for Christmas today and hook it up via VGA for now. Dang it dwarfs the 17" LCD it replaced, and I used to think that was plenty big. I am very happy with it, also happy that it is big enough to also be my TV, since the desk I'm building doesn't have room for a TV (my TV is a 27", so screen size-wise, the LCD is bigger). I'm happy with the default settings, except that I had to drop brightness down to 25 because 100 burned my eyes at about 3ft.

However, mine has some backlight bleeding. And since I've never had a LCD with it, I was wondering if some of you could comment if it is an excessive amount or not. I can only notice it if the screen is total black. The picture is pretty accurate in terms of the amount.

Other than the backlight bleeding, I am very happy with mine and glad I got it.

That looks like the same amount I have, and I can barely notice it. I noticed it quite a bit at first, but I am convinced it got better over time. I only notice it at the top when playing really dark games (Oblivion at night) but it doesn't bother me, also I don't even notice it when watching movies.

The only problem I have with this thing is the color banding and the viewing angles. Banding is apparent on most gradients, and I am trying to figure out if it is mostly the monitor or maybe an nVidia issue. Also the viewing angels are horribel when playing dark games, even when looking straigh on the top of the screen gets really dark.

I have found these to be the best settings:
Red: 100
Green: 94
Blue: 96
Contrast: 0 - 4 (I prefer 2, but most like 0 best)
Brightness: Whatever you find pleasant ( I use 80)

Also I couldn't tell a noticable difference between VGA and DVI, but maybe it''s just me

Does this monitor support 1:1 pixel scaling in COMPONENT MODE???
Does anyone know??? Thanks

trikster2 said:
Is anyone using the 22" Westy in a dual or tri monitor configuration? Bezel is not ideal but might not be too bad as long as you are not stacking them

The wife brought me the 20.1" Westy for christmas thinking it was the same thing as what I have. That bezel is totally different. I would not mind the second monitor having a different size/aspect ration but I'm not sure I like the 1400x1050 vs the standard 1600x1200.....

Yeah, in my dorm I have this westy as my main and a samsung 930b(19in lcd, 1280x1023). I love it, makes programming homework so much easier (instructions on samsung and programming on westy) and most of the time I use the 19" as my tv (tv tuner) and it's great.

J87X said:
That looks like the same amount I have, and I can barely notice it. I noticed it quite a bit at first, but I am convinced it got better over time. I only notice it at the top when playing really dark games (Oblivion at night) but it doesn't bother me, also I don't even notice it when watching movies.

The only problem I have with this thing is the color banding and the viewing angles. Banding is apparent on most gradients, and I am trying to figure out if it is mostly the monitor or maybe an nVidia issue. Also the viewing angels are horribel when playing dark games, even when looking straigh on the top of the screen gets really dark.

I have found these to be the best settings:
Red: 100
Green: 94
Blue: 96
Contrast: 0 - 4 (I prefer 2, but most like 0 best)
Brightness: Whatever you find pleasant ( I use 80)

Also I couldn't tell a noticable difference between VGA and DVI, but maybe it''s just me

Alright, I won't worry about the bleeding then. And thanks for the settings, everything looks more vivid, I guess that's the word to use.

Actually I just realized that it is backlight bleeding in the middle of the screen. The top and bottom backlight is barely noticeable, but when playing dark games I notice this dark spot in the center of the screen, then the screen just looks dirty and washed out on other parts. There is the line that I can see bleeding at the left. It's like the backlight is bleeding in a U shape. It only happens when playing really dark games, and on a black screen.

Does anyone else have backlight bleed in middle of the screen?

does anyone elses monitor make a buzzing sound? mine is making a slight buzzing sound and its kinda annoying.

KSNIPPY said:
does anyone elses monitor make a buzzing sound? mine is making a slight buzzing sound and its kinda annoying.

apparently it does that when the brightness is below 96 or something. I hardly notice it, it's slightly quieter than my computer so all I hear is the almost silent fans I have running.

J87X said:
Actually I just realized that it is backlight bleeding in the middle of the screen. The top and bottom backlight is barely noticeable, but when playing dark games I notice this dark spot in the center of the screen, then the screen just looks dirty and washed out on other parts. There is the line that I can see bleeding at the left. It's like the backlight is bleeding in a U shape. It only happens when playing really dark games, and on a black screen.

Does anyone else have backlight bleed in middle of the screen?

I think I have something similar to what you are describing. I have just a little "white-ish" colored bleed at the top and bottom but nothing too noticeable. However, I have an off-color, almost grey/brown splotchy coloration coming from the top and bottom extending towards the center. I would describe the pattern as hill-like from the bottom and a reverse hill from the top.

I can only see this discoloration when the screen is black. As soon as I have color on the screen, I can't see it anymore.

How many others have this problem? To check for it, make sure your display is showing only pure black. I can see it really well when I switch the input to VGA even though I don't have it plugged in. This gives me about 15 seconds of a pure black display although in reality it's not as pure black as my old CRT.

Skyeclad said:
I think I have something similar to what you are describing. I have just a little "white-ish" colored bleed at the top and bottom but nothing too noticeable. However, I have an off-color, almost grey/brown splotchy coloration coming from the top and bottom extending towards the center. I would describe the pattern as hill-like from the bottom and a reverse hill from the top.

I can only see this discoloration when the screen is black. As soon as I have color on the screen, I can't see it anymore.

How many others have this problem? To check for it, make sure your display is showing only pure black. I can see it really well when I switch the input to VGA even though I don't have it plugged in. This gives me about 15 seconds of a pure black display although in reality it's not as pure black as my old CRT.

Yes, that sounds like what I have, except I don't only see it when the screen is black. I started noticing it when I played dark games and the screen just looks patchy. I have the 3 year warranty from Best Buy so I might exchange it

skudmunky said:
apparently it does that when the brightness is below 96 or something. I hardly notice it, it's slightly quieter than my computer so all I hear is the almost silent fans I have running.

haha, i just tried it out and its true. there is still a very tinny buzz on 97 and over for me but not near as loud when its 96 and below.

but like you said, its still really hard to hear the buzz when its at its loudest, especailly over the sound of the computer fans. :)

J87X said:
Yes, that sounds like what I have, except I don't only see it when the screen is black. I started noticing it when I played dark games and the screen just looks patchy. I have the 3 year warranty from Best Buy so I might exchange it

I have to say that it's difficult to see and I'm only conscious of it when the screen is totally black AND the lights in my room are dim. Any amount of brightness on the screen and I can't see it anymore. I think that I've been spoiled by my CRT's contrast and true blacks so that alone keeps me from dimming the lights too much. Once the lights are off I can really see how this LCD doesn't have nearly the black levels that my old CRT did.

Also, is it normal to see some amount of color surrounding text? I can faintly detect other colors especially between letters with vertical lines that sit close to one another.

I don't see any colors around text like you describe. But to bring up the issue with center bleed again, I actually notice it more on grey/brown levels, but only when I am moving around a lot on screen. It gives me the feeling that there is dust on the screen or something.

Is there a way to play with headphones instead of using the built in speakers? Thanks, sorry I'm a noobie about this kind of stuff.

Doh. Westinghouse 22" just died. No reply from my email to support. Anyone else have a reliability issue with this monitor????

After four tries still no response from westinghouse.

Has anyone had success engaging westinghouse waranty support????

to use a ps3 the dvi must be hdcp compliant or it will not work..

Im trying to find a monitor to use for my ps3...searching and searching..:eek:

Back