New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

Now, what does that mean, exactly? I do Photoshop editing, gaming, movie watching... pretty much everything. I could really use a great monitor with this many connections available, and certainly at this price. I'm probably going to head over to Best Buy tomorrow to check it out, but any info would of course be appreciated.

If this thing's as good as it looks, it might just be the screen I've been wanting. :D

I just bought one yesterday and love it so far.

Really cheap for the size and the colors are good. Plays NWN perfectly :D

animasaki said:
Now, what does that mean, exactly? I do Photoshop editing, gaming, movie watching... pretty much everything. I could really use a great monitor with this many connections available, and certainly at this price. I'm probably going to head over to Best Buy tomorrow to check it out, but any info would of course be appreciated.

If this thing's as good as it looks, it might just be the screen I've been wanting. :D
It means that this monitor's a TN panel, which means reduced viewing angles, lower contrast ratio, and poorer color which means you'll most likely see banding in color gradients

I'm still interested, heh. I'll go check it out, see how it compares. I might end up with either the Gateway FPD2185W or Samsung 215TW instead. However, if the Westy's comparable, I'd much rather save $30 and get an extra inch. :)

I'm pretty sure all these 22" monitors coming out are using the new CMO S-MVA panel, as they are the only ones making these size panels in any volume.

I'd be intrested to see what the lag is like on these monitors.

Every time I go to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue, I always feel like a million bucks. A trip to Best Buy after lunch for the purpose of looking around became deadly to my wallet. I walked in, thinking I was going to walk out with exactly the same things I came in with. Wrong. First thing I did was walk over to the LCD section. I saw it sticking out on the end, and fell in love. Weird size so-so resolution, but DVI, VGA, and Component, what more could I ask for? I was expecting this thing to be $600, no... on sale for $400. My jaw dropped, and I picked up a box and went straight to the cashwrap. I had been looking for an LCD for months, to connect my MacBook Pro, Xbox 360, and HD cable box. After all the issues with the 24" Dell's component ports, I was not about to lay out more than $700 for that particular monitor. Immediately brought it home, took it out of the box and was depressed to see nowhere on the box does it read that it doesn't include DVI cables. I currently have my MacBook Pro, sitting closed and connected to all the peripherals in my keyboard tray, and my new monitor being driven on top of the desk. This thing is amazing. I've been playing around with Photoshop for an hour and have not seen any banding. I am really diggin this display. Tomorrow I'm planning to hit up Fry's Electronics after school, pick up a DVI cable, hit up Time Warner Cable to get another HD DVR, and then set up all the devices how they should be. Pics will be coming tonight...

I just got it. After some color/brightness configuration, this thing's a beaut. I've tried the component, s-video, and VGA connections so far, and I'm pretty impressed. VGA is quite a bit better than component, however, so fellow 360 owners out there thinking they'll get similar quality may be disappointed (the main reason for that being that the 360 doesn't output 1280x1024 in component, which seems to be the best resolution for 1680x1050 displays.)

Connecting VGA to my PC produces somewhat less clarity than the previous monitor I was using, the Viewsonic VX2025wm. I'm picking up a DVI cable soon, however, so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully that takes care of the rest of the minor shadowing on text.

On the whole, I'm very satisfied, and will keep testing it for a few days. As Shorty said, at the current sale of $400, plus the $50 three-year BB warranty, this thing's a great deal. :D

The 22" screen may be too large for crisp/sharp text at 1680x1050. Would be interested to see how the text is with DVI connection.

so are we sure this is 6bit?

form all the colors people are seeing it seems 8bit.

plus the spec on the best buy website, for 300cmd (light output)
is different then the westinghouse 280.

and the 300 matches the 8bit 22panels coming out.

any one that has it, can you test for input lag? if you are replacing a crt that is.

I was able to pick up a $15 DVI cable, last night at Fry's. They really hide those things, trying to get you to buy the $60 Belkin cables. I really can't tell the difference, going from DVI to VGA, however, that did free up the VGA port. I connected the Xbox 360, and it looks amazing. Is there a reason I should be using 1280x1024 widescreen over 1368x864? I also connected it through component, and it was like night and day. VGA is brighter, clear, and just so much nicer. I'm currently in class, waiting for lecture, posting from my Sprint 6700. I should be able to get pictures up at around 3:00 Pacific of the monitor, as well as the picture quality, connected to my MacBook Pro, and my Xbox 360.

opfreak said:
so are we sure this is 6bit?

form all the colors people are seeing it seems 8bit.

plus the spec on the best buy website, for 300cmd (light output)
is different then the westinghouse 280.

and the 300 matches the 8bit 22panels coming out.

any one that has it, can you test for input lag? if you are replacing a crt that is.
its 6-bit. thats why i posted a link earlier. its listed as 16.2 million colors and 170/160 viewing angles on their site.

its not as cut and dry.
From my search theres only like one 22in panel thats in mass production. and its 8 bit.

And theres a spec on the best buy site that does not match the westinghouse page

Fromt best buy:
Ultrafast 5 ms response time
700:1 contrast ratio; 300 cd/m² brightness
1680 x 1050 maximum resolution; 170° horizontal and 160° vertical viewing angles

From the Westinghouse site:
Brightness (Nits) 280 cd/m2

The 8 bit panels have the 300cd/m^2 measurement.

Shorty said:
I was able to pick up a $15 DVI cable, last night at Fry's. They really hide those things, trying to get you to buy the $60 Belkin cables. I really can't tell the difference, going from DVI to VGA, however, that did free up the VGA port. I connected the Xbox 360, and it looks amazing. Is there a reason I should be using 1280x1024 widescreen over 1368x864? I also connected it through component, and it was like night and day. VGA is brighter, clear, and just so much nicer. I'm currently in class, waiting for lecture, posting from my Sprint 6700. I should be able to get pictures up at around 3:00 Pacific of the monitor, as well as the picture quality, connected to my MacBook Pro, and my Xbox 360.

1280x720 is the correct resolution for widescreen and its prefect 16:9. 1368x768 is very very very close to 16:9. My question is does this monitor have the option to keep the aspect ratio rather then "fill" (stretch to fit the entire screen). Because if it doesn't the x360 image will be slightly distorted with ovals rather then circles. I would think it would scale correctly over Component but not sure about vga.

I was able to take a few pics. Word of warning, my camera is on its last leg, and it was never any good under low-light conditions. It's really overcast in the Los Angeles area right now, and I've got to go out and replace a lightbulb on my desk lamp. Here are the pics, I'll get around to getting new ones eventually. Click on the thumbnails to see a larger picture.

opfreak said:
its not as cut and dry.
From my search theres only like one 22in panel thats in mass production. and its 8 bit.

And theres a spec on the best buy site that does not match the westinghouse page

Fromt best buy:
Ultrafast 5 ms response time
700:1 contrast ratio; 300 cd/m² brightness
1680 x 1050 maximum resolution; 170° horizontal and 160° vertical viewing angles

From the Westinghouse site:
Brightness (Nits) 280 cd/m2

The 8 bit panels have the 300cd/m^2 measurement.
it is 6-bit. i trust the Westinghouse site over Best Buy. Best Buy lists a lot of specs incorrectly.

Alright, just got back from Wal-Mart with a DVI cable, and it has completely fixed any minor shadowing I saw on text. It's crystal clear. :D

I'll see if I can get some pictures, but don't count on it. Highly recommended monitor; this was the one I was waiting for.

animasaki said:
Alright, just got back from Wal-Mart with a DVI cable, and it has completely fixed any minor shadowing I saw on text. It's crystal clear. :D

I'll see if I can get some pictures, but don't count on it. Highly recommended monitor; this was the one I was waiting for.

Oh man that just makes me want it so much more! >_<

animasaki said:

a monitor with a sale price of $399(normally $479) and it doesnt include a dvi cable?? :confused:

Why would you guys even consider running a monitor this size in analog format?

trek554 said:
a monitor with a sale price of $399(normally $479) and it doesnt include a dvi cable?? :confused:

theyre $10 for a high grade one from monoprice.. i rather the manufacturer not include it because then i can use my own high grade thick jacket version

Omegaslast said:
theyre $10 for a high grade one from monoprice.. i rather the manufacturer not include it because then i can use my own high grade thick jacket version
i live 20 miles from all the stores and i would be pretty pissed off paying over $400 for a monitor then realize theres no dvi cable once i got home.

Alright, I return with pictures! Please excuse the 'speckling.' These were taken in, ahem, less than ideal conditions. ;)

If anyone wants me to take pics with something else on-screen, let me know.

Are those xbox360 pics over component? If not can you take pictures of x360 in game over component?

They're from the VGA connection. Gimme a few mins, I'll get some from component. Keep in mind, though, it's not nearly as good as over VGA, for various reasons.

EDIT: Here you go. They really can't show the differences well. Component has a greenish tint (probably fixable through some color management), is a bit too dark, and has some extra jaggies due to the lower resolution. Honestly, the pictures make it look better than it is, if that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

Hmm...so is the xbox360 always better through VGA than component? with respect to LCD monitors w/ component input?

I heard that the component on the 2407 wasn't spectacular either, but if its a pervasive type problem, i guess I can live with running the xbox through vga.

Hows about hookin up a HD cable box to the component and reporting back?

PYROTAK, I apologize, but I unfortunately do not have HD cable. :(

Tamlin_WSGF, I'm afraid I don't know quite what you're asking for. I can't find any images with an example of what you're talking about. How am I supposed to know exactly where a 5 degree angle is?

EDIT: Ahh... I misstook the image you posted in that thread as being the actual .jpg, and not a photo. I think I get it. Let me see what I can do.

Its hard unless you use a tripod, so approximately 5 degrees will do. :)
0 degrees are dead center, so if you take an image approx 5 degrees off center it will do nicely! :D
As done here:
http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59768645.PVA_Shadow.jpg

Edit: Thanks for contributing! As far as I know, there hasn't been mapped viewing angles of different screens at general usage conditions. Only at extreme angles. It would be a useful tool for many I beleive! :)

animasaki said:
They're from the VGA connection. Gimme a few mins, I'll get some from component. Keep in mind, though, it's not nearly as good as over VGA, for various reasons.

EDIT: Here you go. They really can't show the differences well. Component has a greenish tint (probably fixable through some color management), is a bit too dark, and has some extra jaggies due to the lower resolution. Honestly, the pictures make it look better than it is, if that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

Hmm Interesting...so VGA is better image quality period? Does that mean I should be using VGA to my HDTV instead of component? Or is it purely a processing issue from the monitor standpoint that makes VGA better than component?

Let me know if this is what you're looking for. It's pretty much all I can get at this point, since our tripod broke. :rolleyes: It's blurry, but the angles are there... I hope.

I'm not so much thinking that VGA is better than component (though it may be), it's more that using VGA through the 360 allows 1280x1024, whereas component forces HDTV resolutions, which don't work as well with 1680x1050's scaling. Though I'm sure there's more to it.

Its not to blurry fortunately. I see clearly that there are little or no image degregations when slightly off angle. :D The westy is a TN panel and have the lowest specs when it comes to viewing angles, but thats due to the industry standards, not the real world viewing angles. It performs better then *VA panels at normal usage. :)
I'll add it to my post :) Thanks!

Glad it helped! And I'm glad the viewing angles seem to be so good.

Coming from a Viewsonic VX2025wm, I have to say the viewing angles actually seem much better on this Westy. These forums are a good example, as on the VX2025, there was a definite brightness gradient difference evident in the horizontal red bars (much lighter on either side, with the 'real' red color in the middle when viewed straight on.) The bars are largely uniform on this monitor.

Something I haven't mentioned is that there is some minor backlight bleeding across the top and bottom of the screen. This is only evident in certain dark situations (much like the 'X' backlight bleeding on the VX2025wm), though the bottom of the screen is brighter than the top. It's something that should be noted, and sticklers on that topic may be put off, but it's truly only as bad as you see in the photos. It doesn't bother me much at all, and I'm sure I won't even care about it once I'm used to it.

Also, I recommend anyone picking up this monitor (or any from Best Buy) get the 3 year warranty for $50. I got it on my laptop, and it has really helped me out as it got used. After two cases of the monitor hinge cracking, they gave me a new, updated model. In other words, these monitors aren't going to last you 3 years, and once they die, you get a new monitor of whatever's current (and the BB employees can be haggled on that topic ;) ) for only $50.

Very worthwhile. ;)

I might as well post it here as well. Here's a shot of the monitor in pitch-black. You can see some of the backlight bleed I was talking about.

Back