New WD HD no longer recognized

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been looking at a friend’s PC that was getting "eminent HD failure" warnings. Right after I started looking at the PC I was able to image their old 1TB Seagate HD with Macrium Reflect. So I ordered a new 1TB WD black drive, that arrived yesterday, and figured that I'd just put the image on to the new drive. Seemed simple enough!!

Today I connected the new drive to my laptop using a USB / SATA converter, did a quick format, etc and attempted to restore the image to the new drive. But I got an error message, which I think is because the old HD had 3 partitions on it and the new one didn't have any?? Instead of attempting to set up 3 partitions exactly the same size as the old HD, I figured that now that I had both HD's I could just connect them both to my laptop and clone the Seagate over to the new WD drive. So I connected the Seagate with the USB / SATA cables and connected the WD drive with a desktop dock. But the WD drive never showed up in "My Computer" or in disk management. So I disconnected it and attempted to connect it again with the USB / SATA cables, but now the power light on those cables just blinks on and off and the drive never shows up??

My thought is that somehow the dock damaged the WD drive?? It was a used dock, but I've used it a handful of times before without any issues. I was also able to reconnect the Seagate drive using the USB / SATA cables, so I don’t think that the converter is damaged. But I have another USB / SATA converter at work, so I figured that I'd try that tomorrow, but I'd like to run it by the forum here for some additional ideas?? Thanks in advance.

The drive could have been DOA. Also before you put data onto a drive I always recommend testing it first. Do not assume the drive is reliable because it is new.

Yea, I've started looking into doing an RMA. I don't use Macrium Reflect that often, but from using it in the past I remember it as being pretty straight forward. But I figured that there might be something simple that I missed.

When you are imaging you do not want or need partitions on the destination drive. The imaging software will create the partitions for you. Even if you created the partitions it would have overwritten them. Also you did not need a format either. Although I recommend testing before you put your valuable data on it to reduce the chance of data loss. >1% of all drives will arrive DOA or die within the first 6 months. Rigorous testing can help you find a bad drive before you put data onto it.

My thought is that somehow the dock damaged the WD drive?? It was a used dock, but I've used it a handful of times before without any issues.

If the power supply on the dock is bad it can damage a drive.

When you are imaging you do not want or need partitions on the destination drive. The imaging software will create the partitions for you. Even if you created the partitions it would have overwritten them. Also you did not need a format either. Although I recommend testing before you put your valuable data on it to reduce the chance of data loss. >1% of all drives will arrive DOA or die within the first 6 months. Rigorous testing can help you find a bad drive before you put data onto it.

If the power supply on the dock is bad it can damage a drive.

Ok, thanks drescherjm. I'll check the drive out tomorrow at work. If it's still not working then I'll look to RMA it.

The USB / SATA cable here at work does the same thing, blinking, blinking, blinking.

Guess I'm gonna try to RMA this drive :(

Back