New: WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM

Looks like SATA 3 vs SATA 2

Probably identical to the old drive with a new controller board swapped in.

Is it using 500GB platters? That's the only thing that will really make this worthwhile, as no platter based HDD will show any real gains from SATA3.

Yep, its using 500gb platters. Its annoying though that no one has tested them in a sata3 raid yet.

so would this be better than an F3 if you were using it on sata3?

SATA3 isn't going to help platter based HDD transfer speeds. They just can't take use of the additional bandwidth. The only exception might be burst speeds, but I have my doubts on that. If you RAID0 half a dozen or so, then SATA3 will benefit you, but not many people are going to do that.

If you RAID0 half a dozen or so...
...they'll drop out of RAID because this isn't a Raid Edition drive :rolleyes:

Is Western Digital ever going to fix their desktop drives, or are we just going to have to keep paying a premium for the Raid versions?

raid edition? I bought 2 80 GB WD drives back when Sata 1 was brand new ( my mobo had to have an extra chip to support it much like todays 3.0 mobos) I striped them fine. why would you need to get a RAID edition?

...they'll drop out of RAID because this isn't a Raid Edition drive :rolleyes: Is Western Digital ever going to fix their desktop drives, or are we just going to have to keep paying a premium for the Raid versions?

Or just buy drives from someone else like a lot of people are doing... Those 2TB Hitachi drives seem to be pretty popular.

raid edition? I bought 2 80 GB WD drives back when Sata 1 was brand new ( my mobo had to have an extra chip to support it much like todays 3.0 mobos) I striped them fine. why would you need to get a RAID edition?

Much has changed since... Google "WD RAID TLER", first result will probably be a thread within these very forums. :p

could be as fast as the f3. someone needs to grab a pair and start benching. so far 0 buys and 0 reviews. wonder how these are going to turn out.

these look a lot cheaper than what i see @ fry's and those are the older models.

i don't know much about TLER but maybe these might be enabled?

...they'll drop out of RAID because this isn't a Raid Edition drive :rolleyes:

Is Western Digital ever going to fix their desktop drives, or are we just going to have to keep paying a premium for the Raid versions?

start sending your money somewhere else they'll eventually get it. if they don't then they never get your business again

Or just buy drives from someone else like a lot of people are doing... Those 2TB Hitachi drives seem to be pretty popular.

Much has changed since... Google "WD RAID TLER", first result will probably be a thread within these very forums. :p

that's what im doing, getting 7k1000.c and f3s for an array i'm building

that's what im doing, getting 7k1000.c and f3s for an array i'm building

be careful buying too many F3's before having stress tested a few of them for a few weeks. i've heard more bad than good about running samsungs in arrays, both the 1tb's and the 2tb's. since i never assume anyone knows what they're talking about and their experience can be the sum of many variables that may not even have to do with a drive, i always do my own testing on new drives first.

Kyle just did a mb preview on the gigabyte 890 in the mb forums and inside he tested this drive in a raid 0. It's pretty darn fast btw. I guss it only took a couple days from when I posted last shucks...

be careful buying too many F3's before having stress tested a few of them for a few weeks. i've heard more bad than good about running samsungs in arrays, both the 1tb's and the 2tb's. since i never assume anyone knows what they're talking about and their experience can be the sum of many variables that may not even have to do with a drive, i always do my own testing on new drives first.

thanks for the heads up:)

i've only purchased two 7K1000 at the moment but what software do you recommend stress testing with?

i haven't picked up the F3s yet, but i probably won't now with your advice.

PCper reviewed the drive a while ago - http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=870

I'm biased to WD drives from personal reliability experience. I wanted a new, black drive and the price premium didn't really bother me much so I bought one from ZipZoomFly a few minutes ago.

If there is anything to report once I get it up and running, I'll try to post back.

This is awesome, now where are the 1.5TB black editions?

really? i just bought a 1001FALS....

I love those drives. Since the 1.5TBs came down in price, those are what I was getting. Now that they are equivalent in price (1TB black vs 1.5TB green), for a NAS, the 1.5TBs makes more sense....until the 2TB blacks come down :)

This is awesome, now where are the 1.5TB black editions?

I love those drives. Since the 1.5TBs came down in price, those are what I was getting. Now that they are equivalent in price (1TB black vs 1.5TB green), for a NAS, the 1.5TBs makes more sense....until the 2TB blacks come down :)

Yep, I want to get off green drives for my WHS and go with 1.5TB blacks :). Stupid demigrator crap...

I am confused, you can't raid these drives? Just don't understand because "Until then, enjoy our preview and benchmarking of the SATA 6Gb/s technology using a set RAID 0 4-drive array consisting of Western Digital's finest 1TB Black Caviar hard drives. It is native 6Gb/s, 64MB of Cache, and 7200 RPM. HardOCP has standardized on this hard drive for current testing". How is Kyle raid'n them?

Maybe cause their test was RAID 0 and not 5/6? Either way, they haven't tested them for too long.

I am confused, you can't raid these drives? Just don't understand because "Until then, enjoy our preview and benchmarking of the SATA 6Gb/s technology using a set RAID 0 4-drive array consisting of Western Digital's finest 1TB Black Caviar hard drives. It is native 6Gb/s, 64MB of Cache, and 7200 RPM. HardOCP has standardized on this hard drive for current testing". How is Kyle raid'n them?

There are scripts you can run to enable/disable the migrator service when you're home and away, which I have, and works great. Sure its a 'workaround' rather than fixing the problem as I heard it doesn't affect everybody, but it works....some of it could be that the drives need defragging depending on how much data movement one does.

Back