new watercooled project -lian li 6070b 56k=bad news

cypher22

Limp Gawd
I've owned the lian li 6070b for the past year and absolutely love it. Being that its a "silent case" as lian li states, temps are not that great. Having 3 case fans, gpu fan, and the cpu fan on full blast to aquire decent temps creates a decent amount of noise. I got sick of it so decided to try out watercooling. Heres a log of my progress.

Drilled a second hole in the rear of the case for an additional fan. The fan grills are not yet in place. There will only 4 case fans, the 2 panaflos on the back, and 2 120mm fans for the rad. A sunbeam controller will be mounted in the very bottom front of the case.

P1030613.jpg

For watercooling I'm giving the aqua computer stuff a shot. I dont know what to expect. It looks nice and I like the features of their equipment.

Heres a pic of the ac pump on a docking standing I put together. Its going in the bottom of the case. Its not fully complete, I'll be using 2 tiers of rubber groms to help deaden any vibrations. The acrylic is smoke then uv blue.
P1030580.jpg

P1030586.jpg

P1030583.jpg

I wasnt to happy with the looks of the aqua res grill on my black case so I decided to make my own. This is just the first layer template. Its going in the top 3 drive bays, only very small portions will be transparent. There will be black behind it so it doesnt stick out with the case. This is 50% finished in the pics. The silver thing above the res is the pump status indicator.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/juice22/P1030567.jpg
P1030579.jpg

heres the rad and grill mounted. You can mount a bip2 rad to the evo grill with no special drilling required.
P1030605.jpg

P1030606.jpg

P1030607.jpg

I'll be keeping the psone lcd in the case because I love using it to monitor temps and have my mp3 playlists on while gaming.
P1030378.jpg

This is pretty rough right now but it should come together soon. lmk what ya think :)

That's hot. Not much else to say :p I'll be watching for more updates.

Here are some pics of the res and pump controller in their spot. The white stuff around the edges of the drive bays is shreds of insulation foam lian li puts in this case. I have to rip it out yet.
I used a 2 ft long blacklight to test out the uv effect I was going for. It wouldnt fit in the case so i had to lay it on top and it let it shine through the ac evo grill which is why the bottom of the res and lower areas are not fully lit.

Sorry for the crappy pics, looks alot better in person. I'm taking these on a 1.3mp camera :rolleyes:

P1030621.jpg

P1030616.jpg

P1030627.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The uv glowed where I wanted it to. A dvdr drive will be mounted direct below it with the lian li cdrom faceplate.

cypher22 said:
This is pretty rough right now but it should come together soon. lmk what ya think :)
Rough? Where? Looking very professional and well thought out so far to me. I'm liking your usage of acrylic parts, too :)

looks awesome. are you planning to paint the radiator grill or something to make it fit in? or are you gonna leave it like that?

i'd try the psone lcd thing, but i prefer dual monitor myself. maybe on TV - if it'll let me add a 3rd display through tv out. hmm...
mwhahaha

Here are some more pics. Look for an update later today of the case window ;)

rad mounted, I'm going to keep it in the silver/stainless finish.
P1030652.jpg

inside view
P1030654.jpg

pump mounted. This didnt work out the way I liked. If I rotate the pump so the fitting is facing up, it leaves no clearance for the tube because of the 3 1/2'' bay. I will eventually get another bent fitting, this will work for now.
P1030653.jpg

Heres a uv view.The smoked plexi piece sticking out is off because I had to rotate the pump.
P1030663.jpg

Ok here are some window pics. I received this in the mail today from pcmodshop. They did a awesome job. The second pic is a window I cut out a month ago, it fits nicely but I think I'll clean up the edges anyway. I dont plan on using molding

P1030667.jpg

P1030668.jpg

:D

cypher22 said:
Ok here are some window pics. I received this in the mail today from pcmodshop. They did a awesome job. The second pic is a window I cut out a month ago, it fits nicely but I think I'll clean up the edges anyway. I dont plan on using molding

:D
Damn, that's a nice looking window you got there :)
I like the swirls in it. Much sweeter than the average worded logo everyone else seems to do. So did you send them an image to be etched in, or is that something they came up with?

zeusenergy said:
Damn, that's a nice looking window you got there :)
I like the swirls in it. Much sweeter than the average worded logo everyone else seems to do. So did you send them an image to be etched in, or is that something they came up with?

Actually I found the water logo on the aqua computer website in the desktop wallpaper section. Then I added the text at the bottom, resized and edited it a little in photoshop, then emailed them the picture. They revised the pic(added some blur into the text and borders).

very cool :cool:

window looks good, and the contrast from the radiator grill should be nice. i was just wondering.
mwhahaha

I tested out the video card cooler today and experienced watercooling for the first time. This is a x850xt pe. My idle temps with the stock fan and artic silver5 were 50-53, with the x800 aqua cooler attached its idling at 42-43. Does this seem right?

Load temps stock were 89-90.

with watercooling I just ran doom3 and load after 10 min was 46

pics of the cooler in test setup

EDIT: Forgot to plug in the fans for the rad, now idle is 35...
P1030691.jpg

Here are some pics of what I did last night. I flush mounted the sunbeam fan contoller to the front of the case, put on some fan grilles, and hooked the wc up. Switches for the cathodes and psone lcd are mounted on the bottom of the case.

P1030723.jpg

P1030722.jpg

P1030718.jpg

P1030721.jpg

P1030720.jpg

P1030719.jpg

P1030724.jpg

cypher22 said:
Here are some pics of what I did last night.
Nice and clean looking. Night shot is not so clean, as the water tubes stand out but I think that's the look you are shooting for. At least there's great attention to detail and the lighting is subdued rather than bold. Kudos to your build ethic!
:cool:

This is looking fantastic. GREAT job man.

I only have two recommendations for you. 1) Since the aqua computer is relatively low-flow hardware (i.e. not 1/2" ID), I recommend getting rid of those 90 degree elbows on the pump, as they only hurt flow rate. 2) Get a black magic marker and ink out the Spire logo on your sound insulation, like I did. Makes for a cleaner inside look IMHO.

Your 35c idle temp on your video card sounds about right. I idle at 33c with an X800XT, and my 3.0C @ 3.75 in the loop. (1/2")

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm trying to hide the wires as much as possible and have the water tubes out in the open visible through the case window.

I dont think I can fit a straight fitting on the pump, I wouldnt be able to put the side panel on, maybe I can reposition the pump or overclock it since its the 3.5 version. Marking out the spire logo is a good idea. I'll have to try that.

I might put some type of logo on the front door of the case, havent decided yet. The front panel looks a little cluttered to me since I added the fan controller. I think its the 4 additional leds blinding me when I open the case door, I'll probally add resistors to each one to knock down the brightness.

Scroatdog said:
Since the aqua computer is relatively low-flow hardware (i.e. not 1/2" ID), I recommend getting rid of those 90 degree elbows on the pump, as they only hurt flow rate.

Well those 90 degree elbows don't seem to affect low flow as badly as they do in a high flow system. Aqua Computer systems run just fine with them. However, if you are concerned about that you might consider using 45 degree elbows instead.

BTW, very nice setup cypher22! I like the UV look as it is not overbearing like those guys that use clear tubes and UV dye.

Here are some more pics. Today I worked on the window. I did away with the rounded edges made it square instead. I wanted it to look like lian li's stock window somewhat. I then painted the edges black so it would be more uniform. Then I mounted the first piece of plexi(etch), then a smoked piece to make it stand out more, then a uv blue piece on the bottom to give it the look that the bottom is submerged in water and the tubes are sucking up the water.....or something like that. :D

finally picked up 2 12'' uv cathodes at fry's.

P1030786.jpg

P1030789.jpg

pic with light
P1030792.jpg

wow, that's nice
now you just need to neaten up the wiring a little

Not sure what everyone is talking about with regards to the wiring...looks fine to me!

Nice job...

some have said to mount a ac 240 radiator grill to a black ice radiator you have to redrill holes in the radiator because a few are slightly off which is true. What I did, first attached the 2 120mm fans to the radiator(check pics on first page) with 1/4'' long hex bolts, then I took the 8 short screws that come with the grill, and attached the grill to 8 top fan holes.

Follow me, so theeres 16 screws total going into the fans.

It works fine this way, but will not work if you use the 8 longer screws that come with the grill and go straight through the fan holes to the rad to attach...without retapping.

You could say its more work, but not really, and it beats drilling into the fan or radiator.

P1030602.jpg

I like the case and I love the lighting, nice and ambient, not in your face LED bling bling. I should be getting something similar to what youve got in my rig (that Ive been planning to build for the past 4 months, only got my ass in gear yesterday).

Thanks, yeah I'm trying not to go for the "in your face" look. I have the pc on my desk and sit less than a foot away from it. The last thing I want is cathodes blinding me.

I added some blue uv fan grilles to the 2 inside 80mm fans today. Thats as much bling as I play on doing. They glow nicely and with the smoked plexi in place they dont create any eye strain looking at them directly.

I also picked up some zerex super coolant.......this stuff is awesome. I was using distilled water and zerex anti corrosive for the past week. I added the super coolant(2 teaspoons) and it dissolves right in water leaving no color. My temps dropped 1-2 degrees. The blue uv dye also glows a little bit brighter with it added.

I'll try and post pics tonight.

I plan on adding a additional waterblock to the northbridge chipset next week.

heres some pics...

Fan grilles. Too much? I kind of like them and kind of dont.

P1030843.JPG

I had to dremel some of the bottom grille for it to fit.
P1030820.JPG

here are some final pics of the nb cooler installed. Project is now complete. I'm liking watercooling a whole lot more than air.
P1030870.jpg

P1030877.jpg

P1030868.jpg

I tried 20 times to take a nice pics of the lighting effect on the front panel. This is the best one out of the bunch, the camera seems to capture only one side of the panel lighting for some reason. oh well.

PROJECT COMPLETE! yeah. :p

Back