New Vox Hard Drive Enclosure, USB + eSata $13 Shipped, Ebay "Buy It Now"

Just received this external enclosure today.

In IDE mode the eSata transfer is ~40 mb/s and in AHCI Mode its ~12 mb/s. Anybody know why? I'm using the JMicron controller on the IP35 Pro.

And currently in IDE mode I am not able to read the temps from Everest OR HDDTune. This happened after I updated the JMicron Drivers. Before I updated the drivers I was able to read the temps. I only updated because I thought it would fix my transfer speed in AHCI mode.

Basically I want to be able to Hot swap, monitor the temps, and have the high transfer speed (Hitachi drive gets so damn hot!).

Can anyone help me out? Been doing a lot of research and I can't seem to find a fix.

Damn, all gone. The seller doesn't show any other listings.
Try again tonight/tomorrow or the next day, he's reposted the deal a few times. I'll bump the thread if i catch it.

Just received this external enclosure today.

In IDE mode the eSata transfer is ~40 mb/s and in AHCI Mode its ~12 mb/s. Anybody know why? I'm using the JMicron controller on the IP35 Pro.

And currently in IDE mode I am not able to read the temps from Everest OR HDDTune. This happened after I updated the JMicron Drivers. Before I updated the drivers I was able to read the temps. I only updated because I thought it would fix my transfer speed in AHCI mode.

Basically I want to be able to Hot swap, monitor the temps, and have the high transfer speed (Hitachi drive gets so damn hot!).

Can anyone help me out? Been doing a lot of research and I can't seem to find a fix.
Not sure but as the rest of us receive and test them maybe something will get figured out.

edit: sorry, false alarm, the nas enclosure looks just like the esata one.

Last edited:
thanks OP! great deal. i actually purchased the IDE + NAS version for a 650gb drive i've had sitting around for a while with out much for a home.
can't beat $13 bucks

-rad

anyone receive their enclosures yet? working well? I ordered mine last thursday buy havent gotten it yet

i received both of the enclosures i ordered. i have yet to open the package though... :(

I got mines last wednesday. The enclosure is quite slim, but mounting on the metal side doors is a ginormous pain-in-the-ass (aka it doesnt fit without using enough force to twist/rage-destroy the plastic enclosure). The power DIN connection and the power switch is fairly flaky; the DIN connector bends in-wards when plugging in the cable and the on-off switch has very loose wire contacts.

Otherwise, USB 2.0 performance is quite good. Recently bought a 1tb Hitachi from frys and it averages at 33-34mb/sec from my dying WHS. Bought another 1tb Hitachi and it was DOA but I hope it was just a fluke and my other newly bought 1tb doesnt fail the same way. Havent used e-sata because my motherboard does not have e-sata ports, nor do I have the connector to convert the on-board sata headers to the external e-sata header.

awesome..i picked up a esata express card for my MBP..hopefully it will work just as well

I received my SATA enclosure today. The one thing i want to say is that in my entire career in the computer business (now 22 years almost to the spot), i have RARELY SEEN A WORSE PACKAGING JOB THAN THIS !!!!!!!!!

I have yet to test the enclosure but calling this "packaging" is an insult.

I received my SATA enclosure today. The one thing i want to say is that in my entire career in the computer business (now 22 years almost to the spot), i have RARELY SEEN A WORSE PACKAGING JOB THAN THIS !!!!!!!!!

I have yet to test the enclosure but calling this "packaging" is an insult.

are you referring to the package from the seller or the package from "VOX"?

i just opened one of mine and everything seems good to go...

the seller just taped two of the original packages together for shipping. no extra boxes or anything...

Let me know when you guys are able to test out eSata speeds. I'm still having trouble getting the SMART info and Temps from my Hitachi 7K1000 750GB.

are you referring to the package from the seller or the package from "VOX"?

i just opened one of mine and everything seems good to go...

the seller just taped two of the original packages together for shipping. no extra boxes or anything...

Well, some people prefer having a untouched box with the item they bought. Would've not hurt if the seller would've simply put it inside a different box. I mean, if he at least would've taped it up nicely but it was the worst tape job ever on top...just all around shitty.

Well, some people prefer having a untouched box with the item they bought. Would've not hurt if the seller would've simply put it inside a different box. I mean, if he at least would've taped it up nicely but it was the worst tape job ever on top...just all around shitty.

yes, i prefer that also. worth it for the price, imo.

I received mine and it seems to be working well. Yeah, the connections/switch seem a little flaky and the sides are a bit of a pain. I may dremel off the little tabs that hold the sides on and use another mechanism to secure them. Perhaps some 4mm rare earth magnets, if they won't interfere with the HDD. Hmm.

My biggest concern is heat, considering it's fully enclosed, but I knew that upon buying it.

For $13, I just needed something that worked. This unit works well enough for now and is fairly attractive.

Otherwise, USB 2.0 performance is quite good. Recently bought a 1tb Hitachi from frys and it averages at 33-34mb/sec from my dying WHS. Havent used e-sata because my motherboard does not have e-sata ports, nor do I have the connector to convert the on-board sata headers to the external e-sata header.
Looks like the review was right, that's mega fast for USB.

Ebay has tons of pci Sata~eSata bracket converters btw:

Single eSata bracket $1.38 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/SATA-SERIAL-ATA-eSATA-EXT-CABLE-PCI-BRACKET-9585-/350328321755

Dual eSata bracket $2.99 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Port-7-Pin-eSATA-SATA-Power-Cable-Adapter-Bracket-/250489393922

eSata Bracket with molex power plug and cable accessories $4.96 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/SATA-eSATA-2-PCI-Bracket-Slot-Power-External-Cable-/260500951244

^^^^And here's a shielded eSata to sata converter cable for those who want to use a raw drive with no enclosure $1.99 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SATA-Serial-ATA-eSATA-External-Shielded-Cable-/110519685831

Would've not hurt if the seller would've simply put it inside a different box. .
Would have been nice but with the extra materials and labor something tells me he would have charged us more than $13~$14 shipped. Not to mention that many retail boxes are packed to be shipped as-is (note the protective soft styrofoam and bubble wrapped contents in the box).

My package came today, haven't tested it yet but the box looks perfectly intact and the contents appear perfect.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did a quick comparison between the esata and usb on one of these vox enclosures I just got.
HD is an empty 1tb seagate 7200.12

Esata
eSata.jpg

USB
USB.jpg

I could also get all of the smart data in esata mode. In usb mode smart data was not available

Last edited:
Nice Esata results,

USB is well above average also.

Note: USB results will vary depending on motherboard.

Last edited:
$22 shipped. i just bought 2. will be very useful to have as i am about to build a new machine and will have a few small hard drives sitting around, unused

*edit*
hmm, bought 2 to use both on desktop but now im wondering if one would work with my modded wii. lol might be back for more.

Last edited:
got 2 for 21.96 shipped.

I have another make and it sucks. Large flat fan right out of the box sounds like one of the old 80cm full of dust and ready to fry bearings that wake the dead...what a joke it is.
I do worry about heat in all of these but new fans that are louder then my entire computer is BS.
ps it was purchased from monoprice (great co) but they need to look at this stuff before buying a train load. I did post on their site about this junker.

lol i didn't read page 3...it answered all my questions including the fact that it works with Wii.

might be buying more of these

The ones up now are IDE, not SATA.

This is on a WD 1TB Black drive (1001FALS) from last year, on AHCI. Didn't bother testing USB:

Crystalmark.jpg

the ones posted on ebay now have network support!
Yea we know, he keeps alternating between the two. When these sell out he'll probably post the eSata ones again, we hope...

The problem with the network enclosures is that they are IDE and not Sata. For $13 it's hard to complain but not many of us have jumbo IDE drives to make the network enclosure worth bothering with.

I'll bump this thread when, and if, he switches back to the eSata enclosures.

The temp feature is working fine for me. Only works with esata, not usb

The temp feature is working fine for me. Only works with esata, not usb

Is this a feature of the included software? I'm able to measure the temperature of my WD640AALS over USB using Everest Ultimate. Typically runs in the mid- to high-forties C. I'm not familiar with the temperatures most people expect, but it's within operating temperatures (which peak at 60 C) -- acceptable, for a ventless enclosure AFAIK. Runs cooler than my laptop's internal HDD at least, haha.

Is this a feature of the included software? I'm able to measure the temperature of my WD640AALS over USB using Everest Ultimate. Typically runs in the mid- to high-forties C. I'm not familiar with the temperatures most people expect, but it's within operating temperatures (which peak at 60 C) -- acceptable, for a ventless enclosure AFAIK. Runs cooler than my laptop's internal HDD at least, haha.

I did not install the included software, so that might be why I have no usb temps.

havent tried USB, but smart data comes over esata without any problem. able to get temps too.

the fitment of these things is a little wonky and its almost impossible to keep it from sliding around on a desk due to the plastic/metal combination of materials.

i took some pics for anyone interested...i bought 2 from the first sale that was posted.

the hard drives themselves fit perfectly inside the case. no complaints about anything being crushed/bent. it was the outside panels that took some fiddling to get fit properly...even then there is some slight bulging here and there...

vox.jpg

vox2.jpg

and some temps. the samsung drives are the ones installed in the enclosures. the samsung drives tend to run cool anyway so the temps dont surprise me. only 2-3c higher than when they were in my computer case. ive been copying to one drive for the past 40 minutes, so the one with the slightly higher temp has not been idle.

vox_temps.jpg

does anyone know if you can rip out the guts and use the innards with a dvd/bluray drive? would be something good to put in the tool chest.

got mine in.. will try when I get home from out of town.

does anyone know if you can rip out the guts and use the innards with a dvd/bluray drive? would be something good to put in the tool chest.

got mine in.. will try when I get home from out of town.
If you don't want to take a chance then take a look at this hot deal for only $6.86 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260477902803

It has almost everything MINUS the enclosure (no eSata, just USB, perfect for part-time optical drive use). Worth it for the 4-pin molex power supply alone.

Though if anyone wants the 4-pin molex power supply by itself then here's one for only $3 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-5V-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-HDD-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-IDE-/260491050625 (great for powering external fans or anything else with 4-pin molex)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back