New Vox Hard Drive Enclosure, USB + eSata $13 Shipped, Ebay "Buy It Now"

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Edit: deal dead again, but try back soon to see if the seller puts more up for sale.

April 27 Edit: Deal alive again, $14 shipped for the eSata enclosure, or 2 for $22 shipped, 3 for $30 shipped http://shop.ebay.com/socalcomputersource/m.html?_nkw=

Edit: Buy two of them for combined shipped, under $21 shipped, that's $10.50 each ! (thanks Haste!)

Found a pretty good review on it claiming it has a good USB implementation with 33.3MB/sec speeds. Compared to the many USB enclosures i've tested, that is mega fast for USB, of course eSata would probably be about double that speed.

$13 makes it a no-brainer imho for someone who can use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USB-eSata-3-5-External-Sata-Hard-Drive-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ230462700876

Also includes an eSata cable.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
wow, the timing is crazy!

i was just looking at getting some usb/esata enclosures last night!

thanks

shipping is cheaper for multiple items.

i just bought 2 for under $21.

wow, the timing is crazy!

i was just looking at getting some usb/esata enclosures last night!

thanks

shipping is cheaper for multiple items.

i just bought 2 for under $21.
Wow, good score, thats $10.50 each when you buy two of them !!

Thanks for the heads up, editing the original post.

NP,

not sure if i want to thank you though, lol, because now i'm seriously tempted to buy two of them myself with my bing cashback reserve.

:p

The seller has sold 30 of them in the past 3 days, which is not common, gives you an idea on how good of a deal it is.

Anyone who's interested, don't procrastinate, this deal will be finished the moment it hits slickdeals.

look at this thing i just found...

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/midudrnasaen.html

comes to around $31 shipped via flat rate mail or $35.50 shipped ground.

looks cheap, but for the price and the extra cooling it would give the hard drives...im almost temped to pick it up.

cooldrives.com doesnt have the greatest reseller ratings though...

Damn you OP, you just cost me nearly $21. This is a smoking good deal, I've paid a lot more for one ide enclosure. I just moved my motherboard/hard drives/ etc into a new case and I lost space for 2 drives. Not anymore!

look at this thing i just found...

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/midudrnasaen.html

comes to around $31 shipped via flat rate mail or $35.50 shipped ground.

looks cheap, but for the price and the extra cooling it would give the hard drives...im almost temped to pick it up.
Another good find, dual eSata enclosure's are never that cheap. I'm betting there's enough ventilation that you wouldn't even have to run the included fan.

It's not as huge as it looks in the picture either: 5inch wide by 6inch tall and 10inch long <-- not too bad for a dual.

It looks easy enough to paint if beige isn't your favorite color.

Edit: never mind, the deal is back again.

Ya, dead deal. The next best prices i found for NEW eSata enclosures were:

This one for $19 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-SATA-to-eSATA-USB-External-Hard-Drive-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ160415069632

Or this "open box" for $18 shipped (or $16.50 with Bing cashback): http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKETFISH-RF-AHD35-SATA-EXTERNAL-HARD-DRIVE-ENCLOSURE_W0QQitemZ130383041008 <-- i've purchased two of these as "open box" and they're the best one's i've ever owned, lots of extra features onboard. Comes with silver AND black covers.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Only thing I wish it DIDN'T have is the DIN connector on the back for power.
I have screwed up more of those connectors over the years than I can count.

Anyone recommend a good internal drive to use with this? Thinking a WD blue or green, around 500Gb? Or would it be better off with something else?

Anyone recommend a good internal drive to use with this? Thinking a WD blue or green, around 500Gb? Or would it be better off with something else?
size-wise you buy as much as you think you'll need, and maybe a tad extra.

The current best price-per-gig drives are 1.5tb and 2tb drives, though some of the 1tb drives can be found for really cheap. 500gb drives don't have the best price per gig anymore.

If you are not concerned about squeezing the last bit of performance then any of the 5400 drives ought to work well: samsung F1 or F2 or F3, WD green, etc etc.

Personally i'd just shop for the best price on a high capacity drive from a brand name you feel comfortable with, whether it's 5400rpm or 7200rpm.

Actually trying to find a decent drive to format for my Wii.

I don't need anything huge tbh. 100gig would even be plenty but i know larger ones are usually cheaper anyway. That's why I was wondering what's recommended. RPM doesn't matter as much either I guess.

I'll have to shop around.

Actually trying to find a decent drive to format for my Wii.

I don't need anything huge tbh. 100gig would even be plenty but i know larger ones are usually cheaper anyway. That's why I was wondering what's recommended. RPM doesn't matter as much either I guess.

I'll have to shop around.
Any way you can find out if a certain brand/model drive is recommended for using with the Wii?

I say that because certain brand/model drives, and even enclosures, can be problematic with certain usage, haven't heard about anything related to Wii usage though.

Not a clue tbh.

All I know is my girlfriends dad used a few different ones with his including some thumb drives.

He runs a certain program on his Wii to play games and the HDD/Thumb drive has to be formatted in a certain way for it to read games.

I would assume it's compatible with most usb connected drives.

I've been looking for an external drive enclosure for a week or so - I have a bunch of stuff I need to back up before I format my netbook as well as a WD 640GB Caviar Black.

Needless to say, I picked one up. I was wanting one with some sort of active cooling solution, but the HDD has a five year warranty . . . hopefully I won't have to use it. :p Better yet, maybe I'll be able to get a cooler-running 'green' drive within a few months.

After I format and restore everything, I think I'll use this for a Wii as well. I've been meaning to hack it and install a USB loader.

Thanks OP! I probably would have spent double what this cost on http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SU-Hi-Speed-External-Enclosure/dp/B0013LRLUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2YUATU8GH4UNW&colid=3GOMLK3WK8QCU had this deal not popped up, and I prefer the aesthetics of the VOX. It should arrive just after finals week! >=D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Different enclosure now or is it just a white version? Doesn't seem to have Esata?

Just bought one (black version).

What's a good 1 or 1.5 TB HDD for this setup? I'm going to be using it for storing photos from my DLSR. I'd like to get a HDD that is a good bang for the buck.

I don't think the new one supports eSata.

It also appears it can only support up to a 750Gb drive? Not sure, but it's in the description.

Just bought one (black version).

What's a good 1 or 1.5 TB HDD for this setup? I'm going to be using it for storing photos from my DLSR. I'd like to get a HDD that is a good bang for the buck.

you really cant go wrong these days with drives from all manufacturers around those sizes. it really comes down to whether u want a green drive(good for usb connectivity) or a faster drive which you could connect via esata.

I don't think the new one supports eSata.

It also appears it can only support up to a 750Gb drive? Not sure, but it's in the description.
Ya, the original deal is dead, but this product seems pretty nifty too for the price.

Biggest drawbacks? No Sata or eSata, it's IDE only. But if anyone has a spare IDE drive laying around then they can always use it as a remote backup drive etc etc, heck it's only $13, the included power supply is worth that much alone.

The 750gb probably isn't a limitation, it's just probably the largest drive around when the product was originally released. Not many larger IDE drives anyway so it's almost a moot point.

I wonder if a person can cram a smaller ide-to-sata adapter in there ? (i wouldn't count on it though)

funny, they sell external hard drives in those enclosure, i think they ran out of hard drives to put in those and just started dumping the enclosure, great deal.

Damn it! I haven't used my Paypal account in so long that I have to set up a new account and it takes like 2-3 days to verify the account! Damn it!

This is tempting. I've always wanted a large external drive to back up my data but never really got around to it... I guess it's finally time to build one..

Great timing. Pre-ordered a couple Popboxes for family, was looking for a decent storage enclosure for them, this will work out nicely. In for 4, less than $40 out-the-door. Thanks OP!

Back