New VMPlayer supports 4 cores!

At 3.6GHz I get about 5000ppd for the VM not running with the GPU client, and 3800ppd for the one running with. But this shouldn't give you any benefits if you're already using 4 cores per VM.

I thought it was version 3.0?

I'm trying to do this now...I just found out about that 4 core trick, pretty handy if I could get it to work...The VM boots up just fine, and everything looks correct.

However with two of the 4-core VMs running, my processor utilization never goes above 60%...Anyone have any ideas?

I'm trying to do this now...I just found out about that 4 core trick, pretty handy if I could get it to work...The VM boots up just fine, and everything looks correct.

However with two of the 4-core VMs running, my processor utilization never goes above 60%...Anyone have any ideas?
Make sure their affinities are set correctly in Task Manager.

Would Vista's power plan ever affect this? I had the CPU set to run only at 70%max, and it still went to 100%...

Make sure their affinities are set correctly in Task Manager.

Yeah I've checked that, and I also attempted to set affinities via the .vmx configuration file...

I've found that the Core version 2.10 correctly uses 50% of the CPU, but I have problems when I get a WU that uses Core version 1.74...The 1.74 units seem to cap out at 30%...Interesting :p

I'm guessing 1.74 is the a1 core. There's nothing you can do about that; the core simply isn't optimized for more than two-core CPUs so you won't see great performance from it on a quad.

Thanks everyone for this thread. I got my farm switched over to all VMs now. They are such a boost from those win SMPs. It's nice seeing those old Q6600 pulling in 4500ppd.

Thanks everyone for this thread. I got my farm switched over to all VMs now. They are such a boost from those win SMPs. It's nice seeing those old Q6600 pulling in 4500ppd.

Seriously. I'm a bit sad I sold my 2nd Q6600. Ohh well, it got the money for the 275s

:eek: this kicks ass. my system is more responsive and using less memory. i now have my rig @ full folding capacity

Well, this new VMplayer had been working great. It turned in about 6 work units and then started working on a lowly A1 core p2665 and then I noticed the PPD tanked. I figured it was because of the A1 core, but looking at the task manager, now vmware-vmx.exe is only using about 50% of the quad core cpu resources. This wasn't a problem for the first 6 WU, and everything still appears to be set up properly. Any idea why it no longer wants to use all 4 cores. (I did have to shut down the VM and restart it once during this run, but the config file still tells it to run 4 cpus when starting up)

Well, this new VMplayer had been working great. It turned in about 6 work units and then started working on a lowly A1 core p2665 and then I noticed the PPD tanked. I figured it was because of the A1 core, but looking at the task manager, now vmware-vmx.exe is only using about 50% of the quad core cpu resources. This wasn't a problem for the first 6 WU, and everything still appears to be set up properly. Any idea why it no longer wants to use all 4 cores. (I did have to shut down the VM and restart it once during this run, but the config file still tells it to run 4 cpus when starting up)
The a1 core doesn't take full advantage of more than two cores, so that might have something to do with it.

Yup, I am betting Zero is correct. A1 can't utilize more than 2 cores.

Eh? A1 on WinSMP still takes four cores, I'm fairly certain. Unless it has something to do with the A1 on LinSMP...

Just downloaded the Workstation RC

Ill see what a linux VM can do.
I wonder if ill be able to use all of my i7 with a single VM

It must be something about that A1 core. The p2665 project just ended and it downloaded a new p2671 running on the A2 core. The VM is back to 100% load on all 4 cores of the Q6600. I didn't reboot or set anything. It did it all by itself.

Back