New Viewsonic VX2435wm 24" Monitor

pitbull46

Limp Gawd
Anyone bought this monitor, as the pc i just bought prebuilt from Evesham Technology here in the UK didn't have any other 24" to choose from, but only cost £250 if bought with the pc, so even with it's faults, at that price, half price, it will do till i buy the Benq Wz in 4 months time.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.;)

I know one thing about Viewsonic and that is that there aftersales and customer support is 99% better than Benq, it's a shame there monitors aren't as good.

I just ordered this from Newegg. I'll post my observations when it comes. I plan to test 1080p via component and hdmi with my ps3.

I don't have much experience with testing and configuring monitors so I might need a bit of help as far as what I should be looking for.

ps it could be as long as a week before I have any amount of time to do tests :(

Any info you can provide is much appreciated. I am mostly interested in the aspect ratio control from computer (dvi --> hdmi), vga (future xbox360) and component (future hd cable). I know this monitor uses the same or similar panel as LG246 and BenQ F241W, so I believe the picture quality, response time, etc. should be similar to those. But it seems every monitor out there just doesn't handle aspect ratio control very well. And since nvidia can't seem to fix their 8800 series drivers to do this at the video card level, I believe I am gonna be forced to find a monitor that can do it by itself. I still play a lot of old games that run at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so aspect ratio control is a must!

Thanks again!:)

Jeremy

I saw this monitor, looked nice but NO height adjustment on the stand, I really feel this is a must have for such a large monitor.

anyhow I bought the LG246 and I am very happy with it, stand is totally adjustable and no input lag.

I wouldnt buy that Viewsonic unless you can find good reviews on its input lag, this is a problem with many 24 inch panels where they can just black out for a second or two, the samsung 244t comes to mind here.

by the way you do not have to run your monitor at 1920x1200, I run my LG at 1280x960 and looks great, games great.

Thanks for the reply. If I may ask, how do things that run at 1280x1024 and 1024x768 look when they are stretched to widescreen or are kept at 1:1 (my understanding is that when using DVI/HDMI input from PC, you can only stretch or go 1:1)?

I have played around mostly with 1280x720 1280x960 and 1280x1024 also 1600x900, I prefer 1280x960 the best I would say, games look great, text is readable, I find the latter three fit my needs the best 1920x1200 is just to darn high even for a 24 inch panel, text is small ofcourse you can use clear type and larger text to your liking however I dont like the look of cleartype.

Vista is more friendly when it comes to adjusting the size of your text than XP that is if you dont mind microsoft controlling your computer and spying on your or hogging massive amounts of memory.

I have found selecting the RGB setting gives me the best picture and colors, I dont have to adjust it for gaming.

You cant go wrong with the LG, it has the same panel as the Benq monitors and being a PMVA panel it is superior to the Dell PVA panel. THink of PMVA as a happy medium between PVA and SIPS.

Well, maybe. The aspect ratios over HDMI work flawlessly (16/9 and 4/3 tested on comp and ps3). It even auto detects aspect from my ps3! VERY brilliant colors, good blacks, pure white. No dead pixels, ghosting very hard to spot. I couldn't be happier with this monitor!

all I can say is that the ps3 works perfectly with an aspect ratio of 16:9. There is a 1:1 in the aspect ratio menu but it is unnessisary for 16:9 and 4:3. And no, 16:9 does not surround the screen with bars. there are ONLY thin horizontal bars on the top and bottom.

I have been using this monitor for over a week for my pc and ps3.

Also, DO NOT buy any other model in this monitor linup(ex vx??35wm) as this is the only one with a P-MVA pannel. that means the others employ dithering to reach 8-bit per channel(exp bad for sharpness), banding in their color spectrums, and gross viewing angles. I would dare buy a TN pannel above 19" just because of the angles involved in viewing the extremes. If you are new to the monitor scene, TN panels are in perhaps over 90% of all computer monitors because they are highly market driven due to their fast response rate and EXTREMELY low cost, as low as half the cost.

Anyway, I believe this is the best monitor for the money.

LittleHorus said:
all I can say is that the ps3 works perfectly with an aspect ratio of 16:9. There is a 1:1 in the aspect ratio menu but it is unnessisary for 16:9 and 4:3. And no, 16:9 does not surround the screen with bars. there are ONLY thin horizontal bars on the top and bottom.
That's because it scales the cropped image.

so,does this mean they;re finally going to come out with a suitable up to date replacement for the VX2025??? cause the recent 20" widescreen replacements have been worse not better, and i would really like to see an updated one, since the 20" sector since the VX2025 was discontinud has had nothing surefire.

LittleHorus and Conghelach, thank you for all of your information. Very helpful.

@LittleHorus: From what I've gathered from your posts, if I've got my computer hooked up via DVI-->HMDI then when I used a 4:3 ratio resolution (1024x768) or 5:4 ratio resolution (1280x1024) the monitor can scale those to screen size and keep the aspect ratio correct (ie have black bars on sides, top/bottom, both)? How does this work for other inputs (like component)?

@Conghelach: I would most likely go with the LG if not for the lack of keeping 4:3 and 5:4 resolution in proper aspect when scaling them to the full panel size. I cannot for the life of me figure out why LG would give you one set of aspect controls for digital input (Full or 1:1) while giving another for analog (Full or Aspect). Since nvidia has dropped the ball on this too, I don't see how I can buy the LG, hook it up with digital connection and play my older 1024x768 and 1280x1024 games in a little box in the middle of this huge screen. That is why I am interested in the Viewsonic even though it has no height adjustment. Have you had any experience with this scenario using your LG?

LittleHorus and Conghelach, thank you for all of your information. Very helpful.

@LittleHorus: From what I've gathered from your posts, if I've got my computer hooked up via DVI-->HMDI then when I used a 4:3 ratio resolution (1024x768) or 5:4 ratio resolution (1280x1024) the monitor can scale those to screen size and keep the aspect ratio correct (ie have black bars on sides, top/bottom, both)? How does this work for other inputs (like component)?

@Conghelach: I would most likely go with the LG if not for the lack of keeping 4:3 and 5:4 resolution in proper aspect when scaling them to the full panel size. I cannot for the life of me figure out why LG would give you one set of aspect controls for digital input (Full or 1:1) while giving another for analog (Full or Aspect). Since nvidia has dropped the ball on this too, I don't see how I can buy the LG, hook it up with digital connection and play my older 1024x768 and 1280x1024 games in a little box in the middle of this huge screen. That is why I am interested in the Viewsonic even though it has no height adjustment. Have you had any experience with this scenario using your LG?

I do not play console games so I cannot comment on how it looks with a playstation or xbox or wii, WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS that I play lots of games on my computer, NONE of them have black bars ANYWHERE. I play many starwars titles, FEAR, HALFLIFE, FARCRY,BF2, Call Of Duty just to name a few, I currently play them at 1280x1024, no black bars, no distortions. I have never played with the 1:1 settings, I simply adjust the resolution of my games in THEIR settings, im not sure if this answers your dilemma but I can tell you that computer games are great on this monitor, its very immersive playing on a 24 inch panel compared to a 19. I have an NVIDIA 8800GTS 320 meg card from EVGA.

I could be wrong but I belive the default resolution for all of the above games is 1024x768, at least on install thats the setting selected on all of them, I simply adjusted my preinstalled games to a higher resolution, I have not tried any of them at 1920x1200 as this resolution is quite high for games and to me does not a pretty picture make and the reason I say this is due to the trade off in game performance due to the extreme amount of extra work the video card has to do at 1920x1200 resolution to render all of those extra pixels, at 1280 I have had no problems playing games with whatever eyecandy I see fit to select.

Thanks Cong. So it seems that the scaler in the LG is pretty good. Must be to get decent image quality when upscaling a 5:4 resolution (1280x1024) to panel size. I would have thought such a transformation would have distorted things a whole lot. Good info to know!

I currently play them at 1280x1024, no black bars, no distortions.
Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by distortion, but if you're playing a game at 1280 by 1024 (a 5:4 resolution) on a 16:10 monitor, then either the image is stretched to fill the screen (I would call this distortion, since the width is being stretched more than the height), or you need to add black bars on the sides to preserve the aspect ratio. You can't have it both ways. Can you clarify what you mean?

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by distortion, but if you're playing a game at 1280 by 1024 (a 5:4 resolution) on a 16:10 monitor, then either the image is stretched to fill the screen (I would call this distortion, since the width is being stretched more than the height), or you need to add black bars on the sides to preserve the aspect ratio. You can't have it both ways. Can you clarify what you mean?

I mean that the games look fine, they dont look stretched or irregular in any way and they are not blurry. I recently bought fear and it looks remarkable though I will have to turn some of the candy down apparently because I am moving rather slow and stuttery in this game other than that the quality of the picture is superb. My gaming experience soo far with the LG has been fantastic, much more immersive playing on a 24 inch lcd up from a 19 lcd standard aspect.
While there are many purists who would call it blashpemy and raise a war cry anytime someone is not using their lcd at native resolution, lcd's have come a long way over the years and I am quite impressed with the resolutions I have been using. Certainly at native everything is much sharper, more brilliant.........that being said some of the non native resolutions also produce a great result.

I am not sure if the games I am currently playing were specifically designed with widescreen monitors in mind or not, that could have something to do with it too???

I believe Jing is using his LG for console gaming and in that arena I cant comment much except for what I have seen in stores which wasnt all that good ( not sure what displays were being used either).

I am strictly PC, gave up consoles after sega genesis, never saw a need to have a gaming computer and a gaming console and computers offer much more flexible control over your gaming experience in my opinion, every play a first person shooter on a console? compared to a PC it's not pretty.

Back