New video card

flyinpolak

Limp Gawd
I need a new card under $300 as my old 9600gt finally burned out..

Last edited:
With your CPU a GTX 560 or HD 6870 would be a good match for under $200 and give you much better performance than your current SLI setup.

Under $300 the best is either the GTX 560 Ti or the 6950. For right around $300 or a little over, the GTX 570 or 6970 - but your CPU might end up holding those back a little bit.

I have to go with the crowd here. Your money is best spent on a GTX 560Ti or a 570. I just got a friend of mine I've known for 2 decades a GTX 570 Classified from eVGA so he could play BF3 comfortably. He's only using a 22" widescreen LCD at 1680X1050 so that may sound overkill but hey, his framerate will be epic. Out!

I'm gonna vote for a GTX 570 also, your motherboard DOES support SLi but not crossfire. You have a better upgrade path with a GTX 570.

Thanks guys ... there was a sale at frys.. got me a 570 SC HD for about $300. Pulled out the water cooling system I once had because it finally leaked on me which ended up shorting the card. Back to air cooling with a cooler master V6 cpu cooler.. but my system is running very nice temps.

Thanks again.. the system is working beautifully. I have the 9600gt set to phys X and the 570 for everything else. surprisingly I didnt need to up my powersupply either.

I am building a 700 dollar pc probably after the summer and sorry for such an early post but out of curiosity would a gtx 6950 play battlefield 3 well. Also can you tell me what is better the gtx 560 vs 6950 and can someone tell me a good motherboard. I am also going to be getting the cooler master haf X. With 8 gb ram. Does it look like a good build.

I am building a 700 dollar pc probably after the summer and sorry for such an early post but out of curiosity would a gtx 6950 play battlefield 3 well.

Considering that we're only on the GTX 500 series the GTX 6000 series is still about 20 years away. I'd expect you should be able to run battlefield 3 on ultra settings even at the most insane resolutions available and still get over 11,000 fps in the game. The biggest challenge will be finding the card cheap enough to fit in your $700 pc budget :D :p

Also can you tell me what is better the gtx 560 vs 6950 and can someone tell me a good motherboard. I am also going to be getting the cooler master haf X. With 8 gb ram. Does it look like a good build.

The 6950 is a faster card than the GTX 560Ti. It also runs battlefield 3 open beta better. See here http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/03/battlefield_3_open_beta_performance_image_quality/ There is no telling for sure how it will run the final game. You may want to wait for some game reviews after it comes out and both companies have time to polish their drivers for that game.

Considering that we're only on the GTX 500 series the GTX 6000 series is still about 20 years away... The biggest challenge will be finding the card cheap enough to fit in your $700 pc budget :D :p

You forgot about the magic marker mod. It's a cheap way to convert any model to the 6000 series.

He has a Q6700, gtx570 is overkill, he will be CPU bottlenecked and not see a performance gain over the gtx560.

Trust me I know, look at all the cards I tested out with my Q9650 and with a 780i chipset you get even worse bottlenecks, I upgraded to a P45 chipset and saw 30% gains over my XFX780i board.

Check out my sig, I've done tests on a TON of cards.

If your playing BC2/BF3, you will be CPU bottlenecked. Get the gtx560/6870 for your CPU it's the best bet.

If you plan to upgrade to a new sandy bridge soon then get gtx570. If not get gtx560, you can always SLI them when you get new CPU/MOBO.

Oh just read you got a gtx 570, well at least your slightly future proofed on video card.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037867681 said:
Oh just read you got a gtx 570, well at least your slightly future proofed on video card.

haha its all good... yeah I know my rig is a bit outdated... my sig is old too Im not running all of the stuff listed. I really appreciate the input, I did try to go with a future proof card.. though Im not sure when I will get a new mobo or processor.. everything in time I guess. But I do want to SLI the card later on.. either way at least its not the GPU restricting me anymore.. Beta tests of BF3 let me run on ultra with 0 lag and around 80+ fps so I think I'm pretty set, I would have been thrilled to run them on high but It seems I'm more stable than that.

Thanks again to everyone for the card choice.. was a bit more expensive than I originally planned but worth every penny.

Back