New Video Card = Static When Gaming

Mabu

Limp Gawd
I just recently put a GTX 970 in my main rig, and ever since, I've been getting buzzing/static/interference coming through my receiver (refurbed Onkyo TX-SR507), but only when the GPU is being used. While on the desktop, there's no static/interference at all, but as soon as I bring up a game, (or really anything that stresses the GPU at all), the static starts occurring immediately.

Few odd things that I've noticed when the static occurs while the GPU is under load:

• The static from the receiver occurs even when the computer is not connected AT ALL to the PC. I normally have it connected via an optical cable from my PCs sound card, but unplugging the cable, or even switching to a different input on the PC, does nothing to quell the static.
  • The static will subside for a moment whenever I connect/disconnect the optical cable from the PC to the receiver, but then immediately starts again a second or two later.
  • The static is most noticeable through my headphones, but can still be heard from the speakers connected to the receiver.

I do have a second receiver (Denon AVR 790) close by that doesn't exhibit this behavior, but that receiver is used for my main home theater setup, and I'd rather not use it for PC use.

Seeing as the static is occurring only when the GPU is under load, and even when there is no connection of any sort between the PC and the receiver, I suspect that I have either some sort of ground loop issue or EMI/shielding issue on the Onkyo receiver. I've tried connecting the receiver and PC to different outlets, but no luck.

Anyone have some ideas?

The fact that it still occurs when an optical cable is used definitely narrows it down a bit since electrical signals (including electrical interference) can't travel over an optical cable so that pretty much eliminates that. If all of the gear is on the same circuit, then it sounds like a grounding issue.

Just for the hell of it, try running an extension cord from your nearest bathroom and switching either your computer or your receiver over to that for testing purposes. You said that you already tried different outlets, but bathrooms are always on their own circuit. Interference might still cross over depending on exactly how everything in your house is grounded but I'd still give it a shot.

It could even be the power supply in your computer. It could be causing some noise in the circuit.

I would try changing the power supply with the one in your other rig to see if that fixes it.

You could also try a power filter on your receiver to see if that helps.

Tried running an extension cord to the receiver from a bathroom outlet that's definitely on a separate circuit, and no dice - still getting the static. I'll try switching the PSUs in both rigs next.

started getting interference on my speakers with my Asus Xonar DG card when adding a R9 290 to the system

from what I've read so far, if the interference sound level varies by volume level then it's probably not a ground level issue and more to do with something causing interference on the sound source

I've tried ferrite cores which did nothing. I've thought about getting a dummy plug to be sure it's not a ground level issue, but I'm pretty sure if interference volume varies by volume level then it's not ground level.

thought about buying a Ebtech Hum X but that's more for fixing ground level issues.

tried some DIY EMI shielding on the sound card and that did nothing

my headphones don't pick up interference when I have the Xonar DG at its 0 gain setting. interference becomes more audible at 9db boost and even more audible using 16db boost. my speakers always pick up interference no matter the gain setting.

Update:

I switched out the power supply with a SeaSonic SSR-650RM, and the static's completely gone. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Back