"New" video card squeals like a pig.. Normal?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Purchased a bran new unopended AMD Asrock Vega 56 video card recently for a dental tooth scanner called an Omnicam. Reason being the machine dated from 2017 was too slow and relies on gpu for processing scanned data and had to pick a graphics card from that era that would be faster and compatible with manufacturer supplied drivers (only two exist). So found someone selling a bran new one that was still sealed in the box. The outer seal on the box was missing but the original antistatic bag was sealed and card looked new. Anyhow after doing a video card upgrade from an RX470 I noticed a loud squeal coming from inside the unit. Not sure if its the PSU or graphics card really but could not reproduce the sound while running Prime95 but was able to make her squeal during Heaven benchmark. Its less noticable during dental scan use as thats not as intensive as running a benchmark but it still bothers me. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Probably just coil whine. If it bothers you, get a different card, but I don't know that it will actually harm anything (assuming it is just coil whine). I'd make sure it's not a fan or something though.

Ok thanks. Will send back if not get better!

Also anyone know what this splice is all about. Looks like the psu has a blue wire spliced into the purple wire that I think is the +5vsb wire. Operations of this system rely on this wire I guess and if I get a new psu I will not be able to use it. Will I have to mod or is there an adapter or something? Thanks.

mysterysplice.jpg

"New" video card squeals like a pig.. Normal?
Well yes. if your previous cards squealed like a pig.
Its been a long time (maybe 15 years) since I've had a noisy card.

FWIW, my Vega 64 had quite a bit of coil whine / squeal / buzz sometimes and it was fine. So does my 3070Ti but only under extreme load.
Excessive ripple on the 12V rail can make GPU noises worse too- what's the rated wattage of the PSU in the unit?

The psu is a FSP Group Inc 650-80UMP. Its in a dental scanning device. Despite the 650 watt rating think its max 600 watts if you add up the rails. Not easy to upgrade as the PSU utilizes a battery port in case of power failure and splices into the +5vsb purple 24 pin power plug for turning on machine. Have adapter that would allow second psu which would be my only option if noise continues. Thanks.

Last edited:
Coil whine can also happen if the CPU GPU is pumping out massive FPS. Using the AMD control panel to activate the frame limiter may help.

Last edited:
Ran Prime95 full load and no whine or squeals. Only happens during gpu load. Not gaming though so not sure what fps limiter will accomplish. Though sounds like farts. Lol.

Looks like a blower style card, they are not know for their silence.

Limiting fps could reduce heat and make the fan run slower reducing noise.

Probably just coil whine. If it bothers you, get a different card, but I don't know that it will actually harm anything (assuming it is just coil whine). I'd make sure it's not a fan or something though.
What he said. I have been told that high pitched squealing sounds make things more relaxing at the dentist.

Ran Prime95 full load and no whine or squeals. Only happens during gpu load. Not gaming though so not sure what fps limiter will accomplish. Though sounds like farts. Lol.

Oopsies, I meant GPU cranking out massive FPS. Prime95 does not stress teh GPU in any way. I will edit the original post.

The psu is a FSP Group Inc 650-80UMP. Its in a dental scanning device. Despite the 650 watt rating think its max 600 watts if you add up the rails. Not easy to upgrade as the PSU utilizes a battery port in case of power failure and splices into the +5vsb purple 24 pin power plug for turning on machine. Have adapter that would allow second psu which would be my only option if noise continues. Thanks.
you could upgrade and then just re "splice" the same wire.
what is the card actually doing? if it is doing imaging then the fps limit may help lower the squealing as the card maybe wont be at 100% load.

Y'all really effed that one up. I was going to have him look to toggle off "netbeaty" in the bios. Damn rookies letting a perfectly good moment to thoroughly screw with someone go to waste.
I did my best!

How did i wander into here? omg i need to go back to my safe space.

When describing a sound, try to describe it accurately. Saying squeals like a pig is a unique sound that is not going to be similar to anything else in a video cards hardware.

How did i wander into here? omg i need to go back to my safe space.

When describing a sound, try to describe it accurately. Saying squeals like a pig is a unique sound that is not going to be similar to anything else in a video cards hardware.

Sounds like a ballon loosing air sound.

Get a stethoscope and figure out where the sound is coming from.

Possible the fan bearings are shot. If it goes away or comes back when you tap the fan that would be the problem. Sometimes is a squeal sometimes is a buzzing.

Some video cards do that if the fan intake has a purty mouth. I mean, turbulence caused from an insufficiently sized aperture.

That was what my Gigabyte GTX 770's sounded like with certain games.. like a "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound.. like TV static white noise kinda.. def seems like coin while. I've also had it sound like stuck pigs with MSI GTX260's only while playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. clear sky. ....and I had a PSU make similar noises once when I was stressed but it was aged..

Well with all the noise in the office being a dental office I haven't noticed it much if at all. Also the unit is doubly enclosed one being in the cage that holds it and second the exterior housing comprised of a lot of plastic. Air flow could be better though.

The 6900XT I had before had massive coil whine with my EVGA power supply, but it was almost silent on a different Corsair one I had.

Back