new video card..replacing GTX 275

TheResidentEvil

[H]ard|Gawd
I am a nvidia boy. I right now however, have limited funds. I dont mind going ATi if the performance is better for the price (or should I ?) Anyway..i would like some help with what card to buy. im looking to spend ~$200. It can go up a bit if worth it.

I only want a card with a lifetime warranty so i think thats XFX and EVGA only. I am looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

How does this compare to my card? Should I be looking at a video card by nvidia? The 460? i wasnt sure how much a difference between the 275 and the 460. Any help is appreciated.

If you're looking for lifetime warranties around the 6870, the only comparable part from Nvidia is the GTX 470. This is the cheapest 470 on NewEgg and PNY also supports a lifetime warranty (but I know nothing about their service quality):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133318&cm_re=GTX_470-_-14-133-318-_-Product

If you're willing to wait a few weeks, the GTX 560 might bring something new to the table or at least force other prices to go down (6850, 6870, and GTX 470 on sale).

I think you'd be disappointed going from a 275 to a 460.

The 6870 is a faster card, but since you say you are an nvidia boy also consider the gtx 560 could be out in as little as 3 weeks.

Hey i been out of the game for a while after my last build and I have a GTX 280.. im a Nvidia guy to... dont like ATI.... BUT... anything worth upgrading to that could be cheap and improve my system?

I like to buy used from people on here.

Hey i been out of the game for a while after my last build and I have a GTX 280.. im a Nvidia guy to... dont like ATI.... BUT... anything worth upgrading to that could be cheap and improve my system?

I like to buy used from people on here.

Well, if ATi is out of the question, then the only card I recommend from a 280 is the 570 or 480 if you can find it cheap used.

does this need more information or something?

the rest of your system specs would help, resolution you play at, cpu, and PSU.

to answer your question directly until the 560GTX AMD pretty well has this segment wrapped up. Nvidia has dropped the price of the 470GTX down to a competitive level (the 6870 and the 470 trade blows in real world game play) but the heat and the power of the 470 is obnoxious.

my advice for someone in your position is to either get a used card to hold you over or wait for the 560GTX and see what it brings. else go with AMD

Yes, the bad news is that it will take more than $200 to buy a better graphics card. The good news is that it will take more than $200 to buy a better graphics card - your card is that good.

You might want to look at the graphics hierchy chart from THG:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-recommendation-upgrade,2803-7.html

Note that they recommend not upgrading unless you move up at least three tiers. For the 295, that means getting something BETTER than a GTX 470, which costs about $260.

I am a nvidia boy. I right now however, have limited funds. I dont mind going ATi if the performance is better for the price (or should I ?) Anyway..i would like some help with what card to buy. im looking to spend ~$200. It can go up a bit if worth it.

I only want a card with a lifetime warranty so i think thats XFX and EVGA only. I am looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

How does this compare to my card? Should I be looking at a video card by nvidia? The 460? i wasnt sure how much a difference between the 275 and the 460. Any help is appreciated.

Just coming myself from a GTX 275, it is still a very capable 1920x1080 card and can keep up with a GTX460 768MB. Going to a HD6870 is bearly a 15-20% upgrade. Do yourself a fovour and dont spend $200 on disappointment, I considered this at the time of the 6870 coming out.

Increase your budget to a HD6970 or GTX570, I wouldn't bother with the GTX470 the HD6950 kicks its ass for 40 bucks more.

If money is tight look at a $299ish HD6950. The 6950 overclocks very nicely and can get close to the HD6970. In fact many have been flashing the bios of the 6950 to a 6970 with good results.

Bottom line nothing lower than a 6950 coming from a GTX275 imo, if money is a tight save up.

Last edited:
+1, except for the figures.
An HD6870 is more than a 15-20%, it's about 40%, but that's still not a great deal for the money.
An HD6950 would make a substantial enough upgrade I think, but nothing less.

Yea samuelmorris thinking about it that was a little low, and mine was a OC as well which cant count. Prob 30-40% is more like it agree when I was researching it, sounds a lot but the games that the GTX275 does struggle in its not enough of a bump to be very meaningful.

I still recommend waiting for the 560. There is a great chance it will be faster than the 6870 but priced very competitively, of course if you want a bigger upgrade by all means go for the 6950.

Like others have stated, a GTX275 is equal to a GTX460. If you must upgrade, look for a card that performs better than a 460. And again, $200 won'tbe enough for the increase you desire.

Sorry to bump this thread but I've been dealing with the same issue. All the benchmarks out there compare similar price/performance cards but it would be GREAT to see a chart hitting the main card refreshes at least all one one graph. It is hard to judge if upgrading the GTX275 would be a good idea at this point and I have no idea what to do for my new build.

Current card: Nvidia GTX 275

Upgrading from:
Core 2 Duo E8500
Asus P5B Deluxe
4 GB Corsair DDR2 (2x2GB)

Upgrading to:
Intel Core i5-2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4GB)

Do I buy a GTX570 for ~$360 or Radeon 6970 for ~$370

take it a step down to the Radeon 6950 for ~$300

or wait, and if I wait how long until something comes around worth buying?

I tried to find more clear information on the current roadmap for Nvidia and AMD but found nothing good to go on. I'll be putting the new system together sometime next week when all the parts get in. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sorry to bump this thread but I've been dealing with the same issue. All the benchmarks out there compare similar price/performance cards but it would be GREAT to see a chart hitting the main card refreshes at least all one one graph. It is hard to judge if upgrading the GTX275 would be a good idea at this point and I have no idea what to do for my new build.

Current card: Nvidia GTX 275

Upgrading from:
Core 2 Duo E8500
Asus P5B Deluxe
4 GB Corsair DDR2 (2x2GB)

Upgrading to:
Intel Core i5-2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4GB)

Do I buy a GTX570 for ~$360 or Radeon 6970 for ~$370

take it a step down to the Radeon 6950 for ~$300

or wait, and if I wait how long until something comes around worth buying?

I tried to find more clear information on the current roadmap for Nvidia and AMD but found nothing good to go on. I'll be putting the new system together sometime next week when all the parts get in. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Assuming you're gaming at 1080p or 1920x1200, I'd get the GTX570. If higher then go for the 6970, the 2GB VRAM is a must for 2560x1600 and multi-monitor resolutions.

As for waiting, new cards likely won't come out until Q4 2011 at the earliest, that's a long time to wait.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll be going with a GTX570 and I'm sure it will work out great for my monitor's resolution.

Back