New video card recommendation?

Hello!

(I had to create a new account to post here today because it seems like I used my ISP email to register an account here some years ago, and I changed ISP, and now can’t use the new password link, etc.)

You helped me in the past for the build I’m still mostly using as of today (5 years later). Here is the build you helped review: Need Help to Review New Build

I’m here today because I have to change the video card. One of the fan on it doesn’t work anymore. I bought some new fans, but I couldn’t change them... Some of the very last screws are really stuck there, and I re-assembled it, and decided to simply change the video card.

Here is what I am (was) using: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB. Still using the same monitor (BenQ V2400W, 24", 1900x1200, through HDMI).

I’m using the PC for Adobe InDesign and playing Final Fantasy XIV. A bit of Lightroom from time to time.

Since I have to change, I guess I’m looking for an upgrade while at it. I don’t have any price range in mind, but FFXIV is about the most hardcore gaming I do, so I guess I don’t need any crazy card.

I’m going to do a bit of research, but since you guys were such a huge help when I built my PC, I was wondering if you had a go-to recommendation currently? Oh and I’m from Canada, so it makes a bit of a difference about what deals I have access to.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Are you using Creative Cloud versions of Adobe's products or CS 6 or older? GPU optimizations don't happen on AMD cards pre-Creative Cloud.

Pretty much any of the last gen: 970, 290/390 being moderately priced. From this gen the 1060 or 480/470 will do great for moderate pricing. I played with my 290 and had absolutely no issues playing FFXIV @1800p. Most of the cards cost at most $350 with the others around $200-300.

I'd go with either a 1060 or an RX 480. There are a number of 1060s in stock right now (there's even an EVGA one that is priced at MSRP -- $249) so that might make your decision easy. There are also a number of RX 470s in stock at Newegg right now but they're all priced at $200 which might not be worth it.
NVIDIA GTX 1060 Series Pre-order & In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net

I just got an RX 480, and GPU acceleration does work in Lightroom CC FWIW.

I'd go with either a 1060 or an RX 480. There are a number of 1060s in stock right now (there's even an EVGA one that is priced at MSRP -- $249) so that might make your decision easy. There are also a number of RX 470s in stock at Newegg right now but they're all priced at $200 which might not be worth it.
NVIDIA GTX 1060 Series Pre-order & In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net

I just got an RX 480, and GPU acceleration does work in Lightroom CC FWIW.

I got an EVGA1060SC for a legacy board and a rx470 for my daughter's build . Can't really go wrong with either except for price.

Thanks for the help everyone. I went with Sapphire Radeon RX 480 finally. The GeForce GTX 1060 was over $100 more expensive where I went (I needed it quick) and it didn’t seem worth it.

I appreciate all the input, thanks again!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, and i'll start a new one if need be. But I have roughly the same question.

I have the same GPU - 560 Ti Twin Frozr II. Only difference is that I am using a Mini ATX case and have roughly 9.5" inches to work with - so 1070+ and 480+ is out of the question.

I have a lot of junk packed in this tiny case. I have been out of the hardware game for quite a while now, but did do a little research. I'm really down to three options, just wondering what about price/performance, and how much of an improvement i'll see over this 560. I do a little PS and some CUDA processing, and now i'd like to start playing BF1. I tried open-beta and was force to run 1680x1050 (22" monitor) at low-medium settings :/. Right now all my hardware is not over-clocked and running at defaults. I will be try overclocking back to what i had it at in the past (signature) but I feel that it won't help much.

My options are,

470 - ~$250 - and only a few of them will actually fit, some of the higher end ones are 10-11 inches and too big.
1060 Mini - ~200
960 - ~$175

Thanks all!

Looks like a good option. One thing I was wondering though is will I see a good performance increase over my 560 ti. Other thing I forgot to note is that I am stuck on PCIe 2.1, not sure how much that limits the potential bandwidth of the card.

Hard to find any reviews that compare new cards to something that old. It should be a decent upgrade for sure.

For example, the RX 470 is just shy of GTX 970 performance. And if you look at the 560 Ti to 970 performance there is a big jump.

index.php

Awesome. Thanks for the comparisons.

I just found a new issue with my computer yesterday. Memory configurations are messed up - currently undiagnosed. With this old technology, I might just build from scratch and build something beefy.

Back