new vid card, use both power connectors?

KevinG

Limp Gawd
Just got my geForce 8800GT 512MB from clubIT for my new build.

I noticed that it has two separate connectors for extra power. Do I use both of them?

My Antec power supply (modular) has 1 PCI-E cable (I assume that one plugs right into the video card), and it has another "6+2" PCI-E cable (I assume that I can use the "6" part of that to plug into the other spot on the video card... Is this correct?

Thanks.
-Kevin

If that card is anything like my old GTX , or the one i have now which is the Ultra...you have to use both power connectors. Although, when i tested out my phase changer on my old stuff with one GTX..i only had one connector hooked up to the card, and it booted into windows and what-not...but it said that there's not enough power supplied to the vid card to "run it properly under games" ....*shrugs*

I thought all 8800GTs were single 6 pin PCIe power socket cards... but if yours has two, hook those suckers up.

Yep, 6 pin and 6 pin part of 6+2 pin cords in to the sockets. Good to go.

I would start cautiously and plug just one of the 6 pin connectors. If it gives you an error of having less power then add the other connector. If not; just run it with the one connector and play a game or two.

Back