New vid card for mini ITX build

sed8em

2[H]4U
I built a new mini ITX rig based around my i7 3770k. I reused my old GTX 460 in it.
I'm looking at putting the smaller and cooler running (and quieter, much quiter) GTX 750 TI into it.
I realize it isn't actually an upgrade, more of a sideways move, from the GTX 460. Bonus to the 750 TI is that it runs much cooler and quieter.

Another benefit is the 750 TI doesn't require any extra 6 pin power connectors, it will get all of its power from the PCIe slot. Which will get rid of two more cables in my case, helping airflow in the tiny mini ITX case.

I've read the reference cooler design is better at pushing air out the back and keeping it out of the case, compared to the aftermarket cooler designs which can keep some hot air in the case.
I'm leaning towards the reference cooler, any thoughts?

Reference cooler:
EVGA-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-Graphic-Card-1020-MHz-Core-2-GB-GDDR5-SDR-7be754dc-473f-470c-935e-f0bab2778dae_320.jpg

Aftermarket design:
750Ti_Hero.png

I know some people complained about the noise levels with the ACX version of the 750Ti, EVGA put out a bios update to help the issue. Also note there are a few of the big cooler cards that do require a 6-pin power connector.
I have the reference cooler on my 750Ti like your first pic, and it's a pretty solid card. I wouldn't say its super quiet, but it is pretty low on the noise levels.
Either way you go though, these cards don't put out much heat. So unless you have no case air flow, you should be fine with either choice.

Last edited:
FYI that's a custom cooler, not reference. Reference is
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-2.html
it will blow some heat out the back but a chunk will blow into case, not much you can do about this in an ITX build, a 750/760 level card because they do not push much heat would be perfect for them to use a blower style and the higher end cards then use the dual fan (should still have a diverter of some sort to blow some air out the back though)

The EVGA GTX 750Ti SC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO would be just fine for an ITX build.

dragonstongue is correct that it is an aftermarket cooler and doesn't expel all of the heat out of the case but the 750Ti creates very little residual heat so it won't matter. This card is almost able to be used with passive cooling with enough air moving over it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 750 Ti ACX. If I was buying again, I'd choose a different card.

I love how high this card clocks (1405/3300) just not sure needing the extra 6pin power and the stupid loud fan noise at idle is worth it.

The EVGA GTX 750Ti SC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO would be just fine for an ITX build.

dragonstongue is correct that it is an aftermarket cooler and doesn't expel all of the heat out of the case but the 750Ti creates very little residual heat so it won't matter. This card is almost able to be used with passive cooling with enough air moving over it.

Thats the one I'm leaning towards.
Is that card pretty quiet?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back