New Versions of MSI Afterburner Add OC Scanner and Scanline Sync

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The beta build of MSI Afterburner recently added support for Nvidia's OC Scanner tool. We covered EVGA's incarnation of the tool in our RTX 2080 overclocking preview, but it a nutshell, it automatically tests your GPU at 4 different voltages and creates a voltage/frequency curve that represents stable, optimal overclocking parameters for your card. Unfortunately, the tool itself is a bit hard to find in the UI, and it only seems to work on RTX 2000-series graphics cards.

MSI posted some instructions on their blog, or you can follow a visual guide in the video here.

Meanwhile, Rivatuner Statistics Server, which is an optional component of the MSI Afterburner installer, added a cool feature that works on all GPUs. Normally, capping a game's framerate to the screen's refresh rate with RTSS or another utility makes screen tearing very apparent, while targeting a framerate that's slightly off your monitor's refresh rate is less than smooth. So RTSS added a "scanline sync" feature that uses the two "scanline indices" of the monitor, and caps your framerate with no screen tearing, all without the latency hit of Fast Sync, Enhanced Sync, VSync, or triple buffering. Thanks to Armenius and this thread for the tip.

So they ripped off evga OC scan? Guessing here

I can use it on my 1070ti
OC Scan is an API that is supplied by Nvidia to all AIBs. EVGA was the first to be allowed access to the API. Hopefully MSI's works better than EVGA's which failed continually for me.

Thanks. I gotta try out the new sync in rtss.

Maybe soon the oc scanner tool will work with older cards.

did they ever add being able to control ICX cards duel/tripple fans?

How many FPS does Space Invaders run at now?

Do not know, haven't had the luck of experiencing them. I am now comfortably in gsync range of my 100hz 3440/1440 monitor in everything at ultra (testing on kingdom come to be conducted tonight with any luck, but RDR2 is addicting despite crappy controls)

Back