New Vegas + Eyefinity

IFieldYI

[H]ard|Gawd
So just decided to fire up new vegas for the first time to find out the max resolution i could go up to is 1920x1080. right now i'm running triple monitors @ 5760x1080. i never played fallout 3 on PC so i did some research on that, it looks like that didn't have native support for eyefinity either. to make it work in fallout 3 you had to edit the INI file's resolution and FOV to get it to work properly. so i did some digging and found the same INI file for my new vegas installation, however when i change the resolution it automatically reverts it back to 1920x1080 when i launch the game. also, another thing i noticed:

yOKPf.png

has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks for the thread, I am looking forward to this game but without Surround, meh, I'll wait till that's straight. Is is that hard to have this stuff working on release day?

And that's what I ran in to last night. You think landscape mode is a kerfuffle, portrait mode is awful.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036312175&postcount=3

It's not like they have anything special to do for crying out loud, support the resolution. That's it. I know games that are running on older engines that have 0 issue supporting any resolution the system reports back to it....*sigh*

And that's what I ran in to last night. You think landscape mode is a kerfuffle, portrait mode is awful.

It's not like they have anything special to do for crying out loud, support the resolution. That's it. I know games that are running on older engines that have 0 issue supporting any resolution the system reports back to it....*sigh*

Wasn't FO3 (and hence new vegas) based on the oblivion engine? Oblivion worked out of the box for eyefinity. Go figure.

After making all the changes needed, set FalloutPrefs.ini to Read Only. This should keep Fallout from changing your preferences.

Not sure this will work because I haven't tried it. Worth a shot. :)

but, but eyefinity is cheating.. you can see more of the screen then some one that doesnt have it.. so no eyefinity for you!

lol cant remember what developer that was that said eyefinity was cheating and refused to support it but i bet hes still trying to find a new job.. :p

Yeah it's completely ridiculous. Portrait Eyefinity is not useable at all right now.

but, but eyefinity is cheating.. you can see more of the screen then some one that doesnt have it.. so no eyefinity for you!

lol cant remember what developer that was that said eyefinity was cheating and refused to support it but i bet hes still trying to find a new job.. :p

Hi-Rez Studios (Global agenda). Ironically.

I guess I should have checked this before buying the game. I just figured since I got it working in FO3 that it would work here also. Hopefully some one figures it out soon. I won't be playing it until its sorted.

I was browsing various forums last night trying to find a solution for this, and I found out that due to the steam cloud feature, .ini files are not getting saved correctly. The possilbe solution? Put steam into offline mode before you edit the files, edit the ini files, then start up Fallout New Vegas. Exit, put steam into online mode, then start it up.

The reason I say possible solution? Because I am at work and have yet to test it. Please let us all know how it goes. The settings you need to change to fix the hacking view are readily available on WSG forums pertaining to the original Fallout 3. Still no fix for the binoculars or scope issues unfortunately.

Looks like WSGF is making progress:

CrashAegis on WSGF:
While trying to muck about with the files I had the same problem as others did with changes not sticking. It was two things for me:

Properly changing the Read Only value on fallout.ini, and pasting my changes into falloutprefs.ini, including the copy in the Steam app data folder.
Setting "bEnableEyefinity" to 0, which for me was on by default

bEnableEyefinity seems to shoehorn the game into predefined Eyefinity settings which work okay, but they don't center the UI correctly and cause similar blurry text problems that were seen in Fallout 3. With it disabled I can center the UI just as I did in Fallout 3 and adjust fDefaultFOV to correctly display the PipBoy, hacking screen, etc.

My current problem is that when you disable bEnableEyefinity the game loses sharpness and the aspect ratio goes out of whack, as if I'm at a non-native resolution. Anyone know if there are values in the INI to force resolution (5760x1080 for the record) and to disable AA?

Fallout 3 was amazing in eyefinity.

So just decided to fire up new vegas for the first time to find out the max resolution i could go up to is 1920x1080. right now i'm running triple monitors @ 5760x1080. i never played fallout 3 on PC so i did some research on that, it looks like that didn't have native support for eyefinity either. to make it work in fallout 3 you had to edit the INI file's resolution and FOV to get it to work properly. so i did some digging and found the same INI file for my new vegas installation, however when i change the resolution it automatically reverts it back to 1920x1080 when i launch the game. also, another thing i noticed:

has anyone gotten this to work?
Uh, you do realize that eyefinity didnt exist when Fallout 3 came out, right?

Not sure all the struggles people are having,,,,, BUT IT WORKED OUT OF THE BOX FOR ME!!!! EYEFINITY IS GOOD

Just selected my aspect ratio and monitor size and it worked out of the box. It only shows 1920x1200 but plays in 5760x1200. Only 5 minutes in game but everything is centered in main monitor

Just selected my aspect ratio and monitor size and it worked out of the box. It only shows 1920x1200 but plays in 5760x1200. Only 5 minutes in game but everything is centered in main monitor
pics or shens

Uh, you do realize that eyefinity didnt exist when Fallout 3 came out, right?

Eyefinity enabled systems simply to report the spanned resolution of the monitor grouping back to the game. The game itself will only see it as a single monitor with a gimongous resolution. Pretty much how Matrox's triple head crap works.

Provided the game doesn't give a rats ass about what resolutions it supports, it won't know much of a difference of Eyefinity mode or not.

GTR2 is running on an 4+ year old graphics engine. It doesn't care about what the resolution is, it just renders to that resolution.

FO:NV and FO3 do care and apparently only support standard AR resolutions. And stupidly report that they are running in single monitor resolutions on top of that. I mean WHY would anybody want to play across more than one monitor..it's cheating. ;)

Hate mode. I'm hosed until I can find a fix / work around for portrait mode.

I just tried with NV surround and it's not working, so it must be something with the way Eyefinity reports to the game vs NV surround.

I'm hosed until I can find a fix / work around for portrait mode.

I ended up pulling my middle monitor forward and putting it in landscape mode to play FO:NV and putting it back after I'm done, which as you can imagine is a giant PITA. I might try to just continue the game in Portrait EF mode now that I've gotten past the "New Game" menu issue and actually have a game going.

weird... when I played FO3 at 5870x1080 on my 5870 (and vista64) it just "worked".. I mean, I think I had to shuffle around in the video menus a few times toggling things, jumping in and out of the menus, to make the correct res show up in the options but that only took a few minutes and I was up and running..

I couldn't get mine to work properly. I've got 3 1600x1200 monitors that work fine in Fallout 3.

I ended up dumbing it down to a 20" widescreen I have.

Hopefully a fix is forthcoming.

Running a 5870 in W7 x64

Same here. I am also running 5760x1200. Seems like new vegas likes eyefinity on 16:10 screens.

Last edited:
You're lucky. I don't have any resolutions listed in the drop down box. It's completely blank.

Doesnt mean you couldnt get Eyefinity 1 year ago and play FO3 again on it?

I

It explains why there isnt "native support" for eyefinity in Fallout 3. Cant have "native support" if eyefinity didnt exist until a year after the game came out.

It explains why there isnt "native support" for eyefinity in Fallout 3. Cant have "native support" if eyefinity didnt exist until a year after the game came out.

You can though... Oblivion supports eyefinity 'natively', as well as a bunch of older games.

Eyefinity doesn't have to exist for a game to support Hor+ FOV scaling. That's all that's required.

I ended up pulling my middle monitor forward and putting it in landscape mode to play FO:NV and putting it back after I'm done, which as you can imagine is a giant PITA. I might try to just continue the game in Portrait EF mode now that I've gotten past the "New Game" menu issue and actually have a game going.

Sadly mine are all on an <brand_name> mount, so pulling one out is way more hassle than I want to deal with. I may just Steam it down on my laptop, play there and consider it a $49.99 lesson not to buy stuff until other guinea pigs have determiend if they work with a setup similar to mine. ;)

I want to give an update: If you can get past the main nested menu issue, portrait eyefinity is about 90% playable. Once I had a save (I did it on one monitor in landscape), back to 3 x portrait mode, I just click "Continue", then hit the down arrow once (even though I can't see my selection) and hit enter, which loads my last save. Once in the game, most things look fine. The health bars are slightly too close together so that they overlap somewhat with the enemy's health bar. Also the different body parts highlight sometimes overlap in VATS. Lastly, lock picking doesn't work at all as the bobby pin is stuck to the right most position. Otherwise 3x portrait EF is playable.

Yeah, I got the game on release day and cant play it unless I disable surround...Sucks.

Edit: Two patches into the game less than two weeks from release and they still cant get rez support. WTF?!

Edit #2: So I was able to play with NV Surround by editing the config file but it doesn't like the bezel corrected resolutions at all. I had to go with the full uncorrected rez to play without artifacts...

Edit 3: I was finally able to get the custom bezel corrected rez to work. I figured out that my desktop was still running with the uncorrected bezel rez. I adjusted it to Bezel Corrected and then changed the Pref.ini to match the rez and wala! Worked like a champ. I did have an issue with hacking though. I think the monitors are at a set rez and I cant see what to click on to close the monitor. I just reloaded my last save from 30 seconds before and left it for now. Im going to dig in the ini and see if there is a setting I can change for the hacking portion to make the computer monitors work at the proper rez.

Last edited:
I think I might just switch to single screen until they fix it. Have any of you guys hit up bethesda about the problem. They are not going to do shit until they get more people bugging them about it.

The only way we'll get OOTB support for Eyefinity/Surround Vision is never.

Consoled games are FTL - Oblivion worked because it wasn't designed on a console and then gang-raped and ported over to the PC.

I have everything save sniper scopes in 5760x1200. anyone know the ini command that does scopes and binoculars.

The only way we'll get OOTB support for Eyefinity/Surround Vision is never.

Consoled games are FTL - Oblivion worked because it wasn't designed on a console and then gang-raped and ported over to the PC.

You sound like a little kid. I'm a veteran of the console war, and let me tell you, war is hell.

Your point holds no water since Oblivion was made for PC and Console, and likely sold many more copies on console, and this is the same engine. The PC version supports higher end graphics and was the first to get patched so its not like the studio wasn't supporting the PC release.

Back