New user of Ryzen + Dark Hero board / Need some help for settings and OC

Elric82

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I am about to get a Dark Hero board with a 5900x and coming from years with Intel i'm kinda lost about how I should Oc it. I've checked CTR and it seems like a great tool to start with, no?

I saw a very detailed tutorial for version 2.0 :Update RC5 - Clock Tuner for Ryzen 2.0 Tutorial and Download - New version with support for Ryzen 5000, Hybrid OC and Phoenix Mode | igor´sLAB

I was wondering if I can still use it since the latest release is 2.1, is there any differences? Some people on discord told me NOT to use this tool or that it can cook the CPU...

Between PBO, curve, the switch oc on the dark hero, that's a lot of tools i'm not familiar with and i'd really like some expert advices

What I would like to do is do a manual oc with the Dynamic mode of the Dark Hero but I am not familiar with all this and I have trouble to find a proper tutorial.

Thanks !

I heard the Asus drivers are crap compare to the downloaded ones from Microsoft for the Dark Hero board.

Hi,

I've tried different OC methods for my 5900x / Dark Hero.

Here are my tests so far :

1.2 manual, 46 all cores
Bios settings :
CR20 screen with temps :

1.3 voltage, curve optimiser
Bios settings :
CR20 screen with temps :

1.3 voltage, curve optimiser + switch dark hero
Bios settings :
CR20 screen with temps :

Best results are curve optimizer + switch but despite the 1.3v per CCX, seems the voltage are a bit high not (max 1.5v) i don't understand why

That leads me to some questions.

When using OC per CCX :

- Do you need to put a voltage in core voltage override or leave it auto?
- Do you need to input a core ration or the CCX will override?

- How can i know the values for EDC /TDC etc...?

Bonus question:
What's the FF q code, haven't found it in the guide

Thanks again for your advices !

I am by no means an expert, but from my experience, pbo2 with negative offset per core on curve optimizer has given me the best results. I have a slight memory oc and my infinity fabric is at 1900mhz. Waiting for asus to drop the next stable bios to try to hit 2000mhz IF. As for drivers, download the chipset driver direct from AMD.com. then you can let windows update the Intel lan, Bluetooth, etc. I do have wifi and the realtek 2.5gb ports disabled in bios, so I've neither installed drivers for those or tested them out.

i have all updated indeed. :)

What's your normal ram IF? I have a good 3600 cl 14 kit could i try this as well?

I wanted to do that with the curve but when i saw voltage at 1.5v in hwinfo it scared me and I went back a manual OC.

is it normal to have those values?

What are the perks of disable the realtek ports?

Last edited:
I would suggest using curve optimizer all core negative value and dont touch manual voltage. The 1.5v you see is not going to hurt the cpu, and it happens so fast it literally doesn't matter.

What about the PBO settings and the dynamic oc ?

I was afraid of temps with that 1.5

These are my CO settings. Under Settings\Advanced\Amd Overclocking\Precision Boost Overdrive. I don't mess with any of the EDC Settings, they have never helped anything for me. And I've had 10 DIfferent Mobos to mess with. Your full load voltage will stay well under 1.5V. But light load voltage may peak to 1.5, but this is not an issue for the CPU.

Attachments

• PXL_20210528_153042604.jpg
    PXL_20210528_153042604.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210528_153031101.jpg
    PXL_20210528_153031101.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 0
You don't really need to overclock Zen3 in most situations. Set PBO to motherboard (maxes out power limits) then play around with curve optimizer, typically your "best" cores (star and dot in Ryzen master) should use a less negative offset than the other cores. I'm using -10 (best) and -20 (other) myself.

CTR works well for some but it's one more program to keep resident, I prefer to do everything in hardware.

I've tried - 20 and just enabled xmp but tempts are around 50 to 60 just on desktop or browsing... I don't like it.

I set up a manual profile 4.6 for 1.2 and i got better score than with pbo with lower temps.. Temps are aground 40c and 50 to 55 in game

But i don't know if I'm missing a lot of performances in games by doing so?

Manual overclocking all cores you will lose lightly-threaded boost speeds, yes. That's the tradeoff CO and CTR are designed to address.

60C on the desktop at idle indicates your cooling is a problem, assuming you're seeing those numbers in hwinfo64 or ryzen master and that they aren't for like a split second-- Zen3 cores are so tiny that heat is concentrated in a very small area, so you will see spikes which can look very bad compared to older CPUs, but they're normal. Just need to live with them and setup fan curves so you don't hear it.

I have a ek aio 360 load temps are ok and I've never had any issues of temps before my 9900k waq at 30c idle..

So i don't know if a setting is wrong or what.. But I'm starting to regret Intel. :(

Also with my profile 4.6/1.2 I'm idle at 38/40 and gaming at 50 so it's not the cooler

If it was sitting steady at 60C when basically idle something was wrong somewhere. If it was a brief spike, that's normal for Zen3 and you just need to get out of the "intel mindset". I had the same problem.

If your temps are that high when idling it's likely the problem is either your cooling being inadequate or not mounted right and/or the Windows power plan isn't set to let the cores clock down and go to sleep. I have a 5800x with an Enermax LiqMax III 240mm AIO and am currently idling at 28C. If you're idling anywhere near 60C there's a problem you need to address because something is wrong unless your ambient temp is 100F+ and the box is locked away in a tiny area with no airflow at all.

Was the sticker/plastic pulled off the heatsink before placing it on the CPU? Hate to ask the dumb questions but this happens.

I have a ek aio 360 load temps are ok and I've never had any issues of temps before my 9900k waq at 30c idle..

So i don't know if a setting is wrong or what.. But I'm starting to regret Intel. :(

Also with my profile 4.6/1.2 I'm idle at 38/40 and gaming at 50 so it's not the cooler
make sure the mounting screws for the EK pump block are tightened all the way. They are thumb screws, but they also have a spot for a philips screwdriver. Use a screwdriver and tight them down hard, until they won't turn anymore.

Hi,

I am about to get a Dark Hero board with a 5900x and coming from years with Intel i'm kinda lost about how I should Oc it. I've checked CTR and it seems like a great tool to start with, no?

I saw a very detailed tutorial for version 2.0 :Update RC5 - Clock Tuner for Ryzen 2.0 Tutorial and Download - New version with support for Ryzen 5000, Hybrid OC and Phoenix Mode | igor´sLAB

I was wondering if I can still use it since the latest release is 2.1, is there any differences? Some people on discord told me NOT to use this tool or that it can cook the CPU...

Between PBO, curve, the switch oc on the dark hero, that's a lot of tools i'm not familiar with and i'd really like some expert advices

What I would like to do is do a manual oc with the Dynamic mode of the Dark Hero but I am not familiar with all this and I have trouble to find a proper tutorial.

Thanks !
Not sure if you are still looking for info on the DH and 5900x but this video will be a tremendous help:

Also, if you are still toying with voltage offsets in PBO2 here is my suggestion: start all cores at -30 and test. If it crashes or goes to desktop identify the core(s) that crashed the system and increase the negative offset by 10 and test again. I am fortunate in that I have what is considered a "golden sample" so all cores run stable at -30.

Back