new upcoming video cards will only have DP ports (DVI/HDMI phased out)

Fantaz

Weaksauce
it appears DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI is being phased out. info given to me by friends tell me that the new AMD/NVIDIA video cards coming out only feature just 3 or 4 DisplayPort ports in their reference designs. that's not to say that 3rd party vendors will make their own cards with DVI/HDMI ports, though that's an unlikely occurrence.

so if you're in the market for buying a new PC monitor i'd make sure it has a DP port. for example, many of those cheap Korean 2560x1440 monitors off eBay only support DL-DVI. (avoid those.)

and simple passive DP-to-DVI or DP-to-HDMI adapters will not be possible. expensive active $100 adapters will be needed. if you want other ports on your cards then we should let the OEM vendors know we want at least a DVI port (for our Korean 1440p monitors) before they fab the next batch of cards.

i think the reason the next-gen graphics cards have four standard v1.3 DP ports (not MiniDP) is because 5K monitors need two 1.2 DP input ports in order to run, so four DP ports are needed for dual-monitor configuration as the bare minimum. and the rest of the space taking up the back of the card needs to be ventilation for the fan(s).

if you want you don't have to believe me and treat this as rumor, but you can refer to my post later when you find out later this year after the new cards are revealed.

Last edited:
I would find it hard to believe that there won't be HDMI 2.0 on cards.

Happy to see DP 1.3 coming though.

DisplayPort

I'm all for phasing out DVI IF it means AIB partners will actually take advantage of it and make single slot brackets available to those who choose to watercool their cards.

DisplayPort

I'm all for phasing out DVI IF it means AIB partners will actually take advantage of it and make single slot brackets available to those who choose to watercool their cards.

+1. I'd love for a halo card to come with a single slot without having to buy the watercooled editions as most of the time I want to use my own waterblock. Sometimes they hit it right and come with a good or best block available at the time but it's still never worth the price.

Hopefully my R9 280x lasts a good while because I don't want to have to resort to using adapters for my 21" Trinitron to work.

Yeah... and how would I connect the PC to the TV without HDMI? There are also a lot of monitors without DP... it would piss a lot of people, and only monitor makers would be happy. Seems hogwash to me.

i think the reason the next-gen graphics cards have four standard v1.3 DP ports (not MiniDP) is because 5K monitors need two 1.2 DP input ports in order to run, so four DP ports are needed for dual-monitor configuration as the bare minimum. and the rest of the space taking up the back of the card needs to be ventilation for the fan(s). if you want you don't have to believe me and treat this as rumor, but you can refer to my post later when you find out later this year after the new cards are revealed.

5K monitors with DP 1.2 will not last long, DP1.3 will subsitute it. Then with the DP1.3 one DP1.3 port for 5K monitor is OK. In the future cards there will be as minimum 3x DP 1.3, 1x HDMI 2.0. That will satisfy demands of high-end users: up to 3x5K monitors and connectivity to 4K TV.

"In December 2010, Intel, AMD, and several computer and display manufacturers announced they would stop supporting DVI-I, VGA and LVDS-technologies from 2013/2015, and instead speed up adoption of DisplayPort and HDMI."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Proposed_successors

there could still be a DP-to-HDMI adapter bundled with reference card... but mainly i am pissed that my cheap Korean 1440p monitor won't work.

"In December 2010, Intel, AMD, and several computer and display manufacturers announced they would stop supporting DVI-I, VGA and LVDS-technologies from 2013/2015, and instead speed up adoption of DisplayPort and HDMI."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Proposed_successors

there could still be a DP-to-HDMI adapter bundled with reference card... but mainly i am pissed that my cheap Korean 1440p monitor won't work.
I'm confused, so are you telling us your first post was incorrect and that HDMI will be supported?

Fuck that.. Windows resets icon and window positions every damn time the monitor sleeps with DisplayPort. HDMI works properly.

gtx980+lg34uw

Looks like a few companies are getting annoyed of paying the HDMI tax. Sounds good to me, DP is the way to go.

I'm confused, so are you telling us your first post was incorrect and that HDMI will be supported?

i have no idea what's supported or not, i just know the next card coming out really soon will only have 4 DP ports. actually i edited the topic now to only say DVI, because i think they may still include a DP-to-HDMI adapter or something.

I'm still waiting for a powerful card with 6 displayports. :p I don't want to resort to a mst hud, but it's looking like I will have to. I loved the output on the 5870 eyefinity 6 edition.

I seriously doubt they will phase out hdmi. That interface is still being supported and updated, unlike DVI and VGA. Those have been on.the hit list for the last five years.

Considering tha almostt every monitor under the $200 mark has only hdmi inputs, why complicate things by requiring adapters?

Are you sure you didn't mix things up? It's easy to confuse hdmi and DisplayPort full sized connectors after a quick glance. That goes double if you have multiple ports jammed close together.

Last edited:

That sounds to me like getting rid of the old analog stuff. Notice that they specifically mentioned DVI-I, which is the variant with integrated VGA. DVI-D video is HDMI-compatible (but it doesn't have audio or HDCP) so you can convert between the two ports easily with a cheap adapter. DP can also be adapted to pretty much everything else.

I expect we'll see the old analog support go away, and a tendency to use several DPs and maybe an HDMI (as long as TVs are frequently connected), with adapters included to let you hook up older stuff.

...right.

Who are these "friends" who tell you this BS? DVI is a given at this point, but HDMI? Sounds like click bait to me.

...right.

Who are these "friends" who tell you this BS? DVI is a given at this point, but HDMI? Sounds like click bait to me.
Agreed, HDMI is still pretty widely used and I'd be really surprised if they got rid of it. DVI is more believable.

And, even so, compatibility with non-Display Port monitors is just an adapter away.

With my surface pro 1st gen I just bought a $10 dp to hdmi cable off eBay.
Works great for audio and video.

Now if only AIB partners would follow suit. I hate that my 970 has the old 2x DVI + 1x DP + 1x HDMI layout instead of the new 3x DP + 1x HDMI + 1x DVI layout...

There aren't even any DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters out yet. I seriously doubt HDMI 2.0 is going anywhere.

Back