New upcoming SLI features annouced for Release 80 drivers.

HighTest

[H]ard|Gawd
Check out the following from MikeC at nvnews.net.

MikeC/nvnews.net said:
TV-out / HDTV-out support for even higher resolution gaming support

Mix and match vendors - for example, pairing an SLI supported graphics card from MSI with one from BFG or XFX

Mix and match framebuffers (via Coolbits) - pairing a 128MB graphics card with a 256MB graphics card

Ability to enable vsync for all Direct3D and OpenGL games

Dynamically enable/disable SLI - rebooting is eliminated!

Primary Display Switching

Auto Display Detection

Linux Support

I'm really excited as we get closer to this driver release. As nVIDIA continues to expand the feature set of SLI, this technology is really beginning to rock! Check out the Linux support as well, very interesting.

Glad that they designed that very extremely high bandwidth internal PCB connector. Obviously the longer multi graphics card research and design is paying off in spades.

Sounds good, I especially like the Dynamically enable/disable SLI - rebooting is eliminated thing. Me thinks its maybe time to get a second 2405FPW :D

Wait, you mean all we need is the new driver? Or does it require new sLI hardware to support the above?

Cool, enabling SLi without rebooting is the feature i'm most excited about. Any news when these might be released?

yes - the 8x.xx drivers are supposed to bring a lot more goodness to SLi!! w00t. :)

What games are played in Linux that makes SLI a good option? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm seriously asking. What would you use SLI for in Linux?

H

Finally, Ability to turn sli on and off easily.

Thats what pissed me off. Since Having dual Display is usefull.

Hurin said:
What games are played in Linux that makes SLI a good option? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm seriously asking. What would you use SLI for in Linux?

H

QFT

Hurin said:

H

Hmmmm.... 3D desktop?? lol

Seriously, not sure, but there are some games which run in linux... doom3! :) not that too may folks use them, but it's smart for Nvidia to cater to the Linux community with SLi support... if for anything so they don't feel left out. :)

PS: hey, and I personally know you're a smart-ass... ;) lol

Hurin said:

H
It's called SUPPORT.

It's good to know they are supporting SLI for Linux.

Geez people, don't frown Nvidia's driver team for giving the good ol' linux folks support for SLI on their dual-booting machines.

Very true... for folks who dual boot with an SLi rig, this will be very nice. :)

whoami said:
It's called SUPPORT.

It's good to know they are supporting SLI for Linux.

Geez people, don't frown Nvidia's driver team for giving the good ol' linux folks support for SLI on their dual-booting machines.
Unlike another company who has yet to even get TV-out working under linux. ;)

Hurin said:

H
Native OpenGL games: UT2k4, Doom 3 etc.
With WINE: almost all Windows-based games (Far Cry, GTA San Andreas etc.)

It's good to see that nVidia takes care of a minority...something that can't be said of every company... :eek:

riggs58 said:
Cool, enabling SLi without rebooting is the feature i'm most excited about. Any news when these might be released?

This is what excites me the most. Especially because I've got multiple monitors, and not being able to use them when SLi is enabled sucks. If I don't have to reboot in order to use them I will be a happier man.

The only reason I use WinblowsXP is for games. As soon as games start being developed for Linux, Microsoft will have one less customer.

Go Nvidia!

Never tried playing games with Wine, anybody have links or info on how it performs?

So with that "dynamically enable/disable sli without reboot" we wouldn't have to remove the sli bridge connector or switch those mobo pci-e lane connectors? So that we could use the second card to have potentially 4 monitors? Or is it just dual monitors from the outputting card?

Still no vsync with SLI? Thats sad, really.

The other new features are very good for SLI users however.

whoami said:
Whoa there Sparky! It was a legit question, politely asked. And, for the most part, politely answered.

Nobody begrudges NVIDIA their efforts in supporting Linux.

:D

With nvidia's continuing support for linux...it makes Windows Vista an afterthought.

Back