New Unreal Tournament? From nowhere... and free

atom

Gawd
As a quick disclaimer I did a quick search to make sure nobody has made a thread yet. Do you guys remember a little while back Epic saying that they wanted to get back into PC gaming? Well apparently they have made so much money off Unreal Engine all these years that they are releasing a brand new version of Unreal Tournament and it will be completely free. Apparently no catches either.

You can get the beta now:
https://www.unrealtournament.com

Also, just in case Steam, Origin, UPlay, GOG Galaxy aren't providing enough convenience for your games, this game is distributed via Epic Games Launcher. I'm downloading the game now.

I'm sure the catch is there will be paid community content that Epic will take a cut of. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'll have to hold my judgement until we see how it plays out.

Why does there need to be another client for god sakes.

It says it is just a launcher, but I will find out here in a few minutes.

**edit**

Def also a launcher. And it says the game is pre alpha. But hey its worth a shot for free. Its around 3 gb I think if anyone is wondering. Download servers seem fast enough.

As a quick disclaimer I did a quick search to make sure nobody has made a thread yet. Do you guys remember a little while back Epic saying that they wanted to get back into PC gaming? Well apparently they have made so much money off Unreal Engine all these years that they are releasing a brand new version of Unreal Tournament and it will be completely free. Apparently no catches either.

You can get the beta now:
https://www.unrealtournament.com

Also, just in case Steam, Origin, UPlay, GOG Galaxy aren't providing enough convenience for your games, this game is distributed via Epic Games Launcher. I'm downloading the game now.

dreamstime_s_29754316.jpg

Yeah. That info has been around. I played some of the alpha. Should be fun though!

Out of curiosity, why so?

I think games that start out in early access never see the full potential. People will play the alpha/beta as a final product, get bored because of the shortcomings and won't want to come back even if the issues are ironed out. Not saying it won't have players, but I don't think they will be as high as they could be. IMO.

I think there will be a decent sized player base personally. Not BF/CS:GO sized, but sizable to find servers.

Anyone find the hardware requirements listed anywhere? Maybe its not published yet because the game is still pre alpha.

I think games that start out in early access never see the full potential. People will play the alpha/beta as a final product, get bored because of the shortcomings and won't want to come back even if the issues are ironed out. Not saying it won't have players, but I don't think they will be as high as they could be. IMO.

I think there will be a decent sized player base personally. Not BF/CS:GO sized, but sizable to find servers.
meh, who needs public servers when you can get a case of beer, call a few buddies and start blasting :p . We still have a great time with OG UT and probably will with this one. LAN > screaming kiddies WAN.

Back