New Ultrastar 10TB HDD annoying PWL Noise - what now...!? - Buy WD Purple PRO instead...? (Noise example included)

Moratorium

n00b
I bought a new HDD - Ultrastar HC510 10TB (Helium one). Its quite noisy (seek, read, write etc )... And as it seems, in addition to this, I think it has that annoying "feature" noise ("sound") of "click" every 5 seconds (!!) - PWL (protective wear leveling). At least thats what I think it is, see for yourself, is this PWL...? (i included mouse clicking and keyboad pressing for comparison)

(Taken from 70 cm (2 feet) from both PC case (on table on right) and (70cm= 2ft) from keyboard and mouse front/to the left)
(turn your volume level up)

01seconds- HDD "tick" sound/noise (PWL)
02-06s - Key presses on keyboard (some cheap noname keyboard) (for sound volume level comparison)
06s -HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
07-11s- Mouse clicks (for sound volume level comparison)
11s -HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
11-19s - Mouse clicking
16s -HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
19-26s - Nothing (background noise- PC fans and general humming from pc)
21s - HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
26s - HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
27-28s - Mouse clicks
30s - HDD "tick" noise (PWL)

I dont really like that. I read that all HDDs nowdays (8TB+) (and even lower capacity ones?) have PWL... My question is... Is the PWL in other drives AS annoying, AS loud and AS frequent in comparison what you hear with mine HC 510 Ultrastar 10TB...? (Cause i refuse to believe ALL other drives are like that)... Couple of questions:

1) Is the sound you hear on my recording (every 5 seconds) really PWL...? Is it as loud or louder than in other drives you have heard?

2) Will it get better over time...? I have read (2 separate accounts from 2 different people) that their PWL got better over time - it was more quiet over time (objectively, NOT that they got used to it). One said that it might get better when the drive is fuller (50-70% full)... Is either possible...? (i dont really think so...? but they said it is...?)

3) Is there any other WD (preferably WD i trust them more than Seagate or even Toshiba) 8-10TB HDD with decent price and performance that isnt as loud as this...? Or at least doesnt have the PWL...?

4) I read that supposedly WD Purple PRO 8 TB is one of the quietest (!) (if not the most quiet) 6TB+ drives out there and in addition it should NOT have the PWL sound clicking either (!)... Is that true...? Anybody has experience with WD Purple (!) PRO (!) 8 TB (or other capacity)...?

Thank you

Enterprise drives aren't quiet. Companies that purchase enterprise drives prioritize reliability and performance over their sound. My enterprise Seagate Exos X16 12TB drives also aren't quiet when idling.

If you are looking for quiet, definitely don't go for an enterprise drive. I'm no expert, but something like a WD Red or the like is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for.

It sounds normal to me. I have several of these drives, and have never personally considered them to be loud, but "loud" is relative. I've noticed that when it comes to annoying sounds it's not so much a matter of the sounds themselves, but more a matter of how much background noise (or lack thereof) there is. If you are in a super quiet room, then I could see how it would be easy to notice hard drive noise, and how it might get annoying. In my case, I have my file server sitting only a few feet away from me with a dozen high capacity drives in it which are very frequently active. The background noise from all the fans in my file server and my main computer, combined with the fact that i'm usually using headphones while i'm on the computer, means it's not usually an issue. I think it really just comes down to preference.

Below is a recording, using my phone held right in front of my file server, while a file is downloading to one of my HC510 drives (HUH721010ALE601). Some of the other drives in the file server may have been active during this recording also

http://gotnorice.com/DriveNoise.m4a

Enterprise drives aren't quiet. Companies that purchase enterprise drives prioritize reliability and performance over their sound. My enterprise Seagate Exos X16 12TB drives also aren't quiet when idling.

If you are looking for quiet, definitely don't go for an enterprise drive. I'm no expert, but something like a WD Red or the like is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for.

yours too do that PWL noise sound periodically every 5 seconds...?

It sounds normal to me. I have several of these drives, and have never personally considered them to be loud, but "loud" is relative. I've noticed that when it comes to annoying sounds it's not so much a matter of the sounds themselves, but more a matter of how much background noise (or lack thereof) there is. If you are in a super quiet room, then I could see how it would be easy to notice hard drive noise, and how it might get annoying. In my case, I have my file server sitting only a few feet away from me with a dozen high capacity drives in it which are very frequently active. The background noise from all the fans in my file server and my main computer, combined with the fact that i'm usually using headphones while i'm on the computer, means it's not usually an issue. I think it really just comes down to preference.

Below is a recording, using my phone held right in front of my file server, while a file is downloading to one of my HC510 drives (HUH721010ALE601). Some of the other drives in the file server may have been active during this recording also

http://gotnorice.com/DriveNoise.m4a

thanks, i cannot say how loud are yours noise sounds (cause there is no other sound for comparison like mouse clicking), but i would almost say your sound more pleasing... lol :), it sounds to me almost like heavy rain drops dropping on a window or window ledge :).

yours do the PWL too every 5seconds when "iddle" ?

yours too do that PWL noise sound periodically every 5 seconds...?
Mine have more of a...how to put it into words... a loping sound, kinda like the idle lope of a big cam V8. Obviously not as loud, but kinda like it.

I bought a new HDD - Ultrastar HC510 10TB (Helium one). Its quite noisy (seek, read, write etc )... And as it seems, in addition to this, I think it has that annoying "feature" noise ("sound") of "click" every 5 seconds (!!) - PWL (protective wear leveling). At least thats what I think it is, see for yourself, is this PWL...? (i included mouse clicking and keyboad pressing for comparison)

(Taken from 70 cm (2 feet) from both PC case (on table on right) and (70cm= 2ft) from keyboard and mouse front/to the left)
(turn your volume level up)

01seconds- HDD "tick" sound/noise (PWL)
02-06s - Key presses on keyboard (some cheap noname keyboard) (for sound volume level comparison)
06s -HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
07-11s- Mouse clicks (for sound volume level comparison)
11s -HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
11-19s - Mouse clicking
16s -HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
19-26s - Nothing (background noise- PC fans and general humming from pc)
21s - HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
26s - HDD "tick" noise (PWL)
27-28s - Mouse clicks
30s - HDD "tick" noise (PWL)

I dont really like that. I read that all HDDs nowdays (8TB+) (and even lower capacity ones?) have PWL... My question is... Is the PWL in other drives AS annoying, AS loud and AS frequent in comparison what you hear with mine HC 510 Ultrastar 10TB...? (Cause i refuse to believe ALL other drives are like that)... Couple of questions:

1) Is the sound you hear on my recording (every 5 seconds) really PWL...? Is it as loud or louder than in other drives you have heard?

2) Will it get better over time...? I have read (2 separate accounts from 2 different people) that their PWL got better over time - it was more quiet over time (objectively, NOT that they got used to it). One said that it might get better when the drive is fuller (50-70% full)... Is either possible...? (i dont really think so...? but they said it is...?)

3) Is there any other WD (preferably WD i trust them more than Seagate or even Toshiba) 8-10TB HDD with decent price and performance that isnt as loud as this...? Or at least doesnt have the PWL...?

4) I read that supposedly WD Purple PRO 8 TB is one of the quietest (!) (if not the most quiet) 6TB+ drives out there and in addition it should NOT have the PWL sound clicking either (!)... Is that true...? Anybody has experience with WD Purple (!) PRO (!) 8 TB (or other capacity)...?

Thank you

You can get rid of the noise, but you'll need 5.25 bays. I have 4 drives with the tick and use these, quiets them right up https://www.amazon.com/MEETOOT-Absorber-Bracket-Mounting-Adapter/dp/B09P8GP8GQ

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back