New Ubuntu 22.04 server, have an empty hdd that will not spin down.

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
Activity light blinks every 10 seconds or so, and checking with hdparm, it's status is always active/idle. There is nothing on this drive aside from lost+found dir.

Any idea's?

Are you sure you want the drive spinning down/up that often? That is the most stressful time for a spinning drive like that. Might be better to let it stay spinning even if it's completely idle/empty.

Are you sure you want the drive spinning down/up that often? That is the most stressful time for a spinning drive like that. Might be better to let it stay spinning even if it's completely idle/empty.
It's my plex server, even when data is on it, i doubt it gets accessed more than twice a week. Just burning power, i guess it's only 5 or 6 watts. But no, i'm not sure lol. Should i just let em spin?

either file indexing
Thanks, it was the ext4 journaling. I'm not sure why that would write anything to an empty disk, not to mention keeping it spinning at all times.

Disabled journaling, and then disabled fsck on those drives as well. I presume this is a horrible idea in most cases, but these are legacy tv shows that nobody watches, should rarely ever be accessed. I'm waiting on a sale for a bigger drive that i'll leave journaling on and spinning, it will probably be access 98% of the time.

Back