New Ubiquiti Routers

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
Ubiquiti finally announced their new routers this morning. There has been lots of talk about it, but they finally officially annoouned it. Availability is yet to be determined.

They look pretty decent. They'll definitely give Mikrotik a run for it's money as well as consumer-grade routers.

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax#edge-router

When are the others coming out??? I like their commercial

The scene with the "network performance" graph coming up green at the end and the quick cut to the cat picture....made me really actually laugh out load. Was worth sitting through the bad acting just for that.

I wonder if the EdgeOS will be available for virtual environments. It seems to be based off of Vyatta.

I might have to give one of those a try, should use less power then my PFSense box does, and I'm not really using any of the major features of PFSense anyway...

Do they have anythat fully support PoE for their own unifi? I put together a RB750GL + 1 unifi pro + 1 unifi LR and really like the system but its clumsy with PoE would love a good gigabit wired router + PoE that supports both APs to clean up my cabinet. Then I could sell the injectors.

Do they have anythat fully support PoE for their own unifi? I put together a RB750GL + 1 unifi pro + 1 unifi LR and really like the system but its clumsy with PoE would love a good gigabit wired router + PoE that supports both APs to clean up my cabinet. Then I could sell the injectors.

This looks like it might be close

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax#toughswitch

I have been wanting a new home rotuer. I think this and a AP is going to be my next home system now only to wait for cost and availability

The toughswitch is only a switch AFAIK. I want to combine it all since I already have a 24 port HP procurve switch and really only need the router

wow i might have to seriously look at one of those, sell of my ASA5505 and 2821 and just use one of those! hell i might even put one at my parents to establish a VPN.

The commercial was definitely geeky with Cisco, Mission Impossible, Hackers and Kung fu.

I'd buy one of these with the Ubiquiti Unifi Pro in my home. It supports NAT, BGP, OSPF, firewall, etc. the GUI seemed pretty straight forward, couldn't get a good glimpse of the CLI.

The comparison document was a little dubious. It made one of these extremely comparable to a 3900 ISR2 and made a J router look like garbage.

These are absolutely horribly UGLY routers design wise to my eyes atleast. I would not buy one simply because they would make my rack look like goof.

However if I didnt already have a Cisco 3750E Layer 3 HELLBEAST of a ethernet based routing switch I would consider the edge lite version of these just for fast intervlan l3 routing. I wouldn't even use it as a gateway. Just an internal intervlan packet pusher.

I will admit the little lite version will be a badass low price awesome sauce router if it truly supports Border Gateway. Put 2 of these in an active failover combo for HA internet services.

Last edited:
Details from the ubiquiti forums:

It is based off of Vyatta, abit a highly customized version.

Parts of the source code have been converted to machine code for performance.

Other parts of the linux codebase were modified to add stability where required.

This is only the beginning.....

They have "policy based routing" as a very high priority item to be worked on.

They do plan on creating more models than what you currently see on their webpage.

In typical Ubiquiti fashion that will offer continuous software updates.

The current goal is to destroy Mikrotek on Quality/Performance/Price while keeping the interface as simple as possible and offering power users the ability to get into the system either by CLI or configuration files. While building a reputation as a high value product which can compete against Cisco offering at a fraction of the price in certain scenarios.

Ala.... do the same kind of thing for the AP market that Unifi did.

Anyone have any experience with Vyatta? I'm tempted to get one just to play with. I already have an ASA and a couple other Cisco and Mikrotik routers though. I like to collect routers... Lol.

Anyone have any experience with Vyatta? I'm tempted to get one just to play with. I already have an ASA and a couple other Cisco and Mikrotik routers though. I like to collect routers... Lol.

Lol. U need a sonicwall untangle box and astaro,juniper etc etc...

I've run Vyatta Core as my home router for a while now. Takes a little bit of getting used to and the documentation can be a bit outdated but has some really nice features as well. I'll have to pick a couple of these up once they become available.

I wonder how their PoE switch is... It is 48V which will power their antennas which is good, 16 ports (2x8) is $425 online.. not TOO bad concidering thats 16 PoE adapters you get rid of. But still dunno, guess it depends on the situation.

I ordered me one of the Edge Lite's. Hopefully it will ship soon.

-klank

"Thank you for placing this order with Streakwave Wireless, Inc. Due to the high demand for the newly released Ubiquiti ERLite-3 it is currently on a pre-pay pre-order status. This means we need full pre-payment for this item to guarantee delivery when it becomes available with an understanding that there will not be any refunds if to cancel. Please confirm via email that you accept these terms and would like to leave your order open to be shipped when the product becomes available."

There is the final answer.

-klank

I'll need a nice setup when I buy a house and this router + AP would make for a sweet setup.

No release date in the UK either. Been speaking to one of their resellers here and I will find out when they become available, but could be a little while though.

The lite version + one of their access points for home would be a great install. In fact, I might replicate this setup to my family members, to reduce my support calls from them and so I can manage everything a lot easier.

Looks good,

Thanks,

G.

I live in Europe, but going to be in USA in December. Is there any difference between the devices sold in those continents? Do I have any chance of buying the EdgeRouter Lite whilst in the USA, as I imagine that it will take longer to get them in Europe?

what the heck good is a 3 port router. sounds like asking for frustration. either you have no margin, or it is a fancy bridge with one port of margin. either way is balls

what the heck good is a 3 port router. sounds like asking for frustration. either you have no margin, or it is a fancy bridge with one port of margin. either way is balls

Not sure what the hell you're talking about. One WAN port, one LAN port, one DMZ. That covers a very large portion of routers right there. Maybe not at the consumer level, but that's not what these are designed for.

Agreed these are routers not switches. Then Ubiquiti can sell you their tough switch.

Not sure what the hell you're talking about. One WAN port, one LAN port, one DMZ. That covers a very large portion of routers right there. Maybe not at the consumer level, but that's not what these are designed for.

I have too many damned routers already. I have enough routers to put one in every room including my bathrooms if i wanted and all current age cisco stuff sigh... i would like tobtry one of these routers but alas i will never.

I have too many damned routers already. I have enough routers to put one in every room including my bathrooms if i wanted and all current age cisco stuff sigh... i would like tobtry one of these routers but alas i will never.
Ok, thanks for sharing :S

I wonder if they ever intend to make a higher end product. I got some of their gear here, no complaints other than you get what you pay for, truly.

I wonder if they ever intend to make a higher end product. I got some of their gear here, no complaints other than you get what you pay for, truly.

I don't think it's their market. With UniFi they went for small businesses that needed easy to install and manage products that are affordable. Now they are going back to those same customers and asking what else they need. "Easy to use and manage routers with the features I need at an affordable price."

I don't think it's their market. With UniFi they went for small businesses that needed easy to install and manage products that are affordable. Now they are going back to those same customers and asking what else they need. "Easy to use and manage routers with the features I need at an affordable price."

Devices that don't require a proprietary POE injector would be baller. I got a site who is one of those low dollar customers, 15 cameras, 15 poe injectors:rolleyes:

Devices that don't require a proprietary POE injector would be baller. I got a site who is one of those low dollar customers, 15 cameras, 15 poe injectors:rolleyes:
At my last job I had to deploy Unifi, ended up velcoring all the injectors on the inside of the rack's wall, right next to the access switches, and plugging in 3 surge proctors into the pdu to save ports. Fun times.

That said, their stuff is kinda ghetto but it doesn't get any better for the price. Definitely buying this router to go with FIOS when I move.

Yeah 2 AP too. I am not sure what ype of rack they have, I think a wall mount 12u? Hoping it hinges so I can stash it in the bottom/back.

Back