(new?) Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch

colinstu

2[H]4U
Anyone hear anything about these http://ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch/ ? 24 and 48 port managed PoE switches. Prices start at "$399" yet I can't find anyone selling them or the prices for the other models.

I think they're a new addition, I don't remember seeing them before.

Anyone try them out? Comments / reviews?

Anyone hear anything about these http://ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch/ ? 24 and 48 port managed PoE switches. Prices start at "$399" yet I can't find anyone selling them or the prices for the other models.

I think they're a new addition, I don't remember seeing them before.

Anyone try them out? Comments / reviews?

Those were literally just announced. As-in, I checked the site today at 11am, and they weren't there, but they were at 2PM. Ubiquiti products usually take about 6 months to hit the market once they are announced. Although, the new UniFi cameras were available a few days after the announcement, so that may be changing.

I am intrigued by the idea of finally getting high-density POE switches that can do both passive and active POE.

They will likely be the same as the other Ubiquiti products.
Good hardware, bad software at launch and before well polished firmware is available they will launch a new model and start the cycle all over again.
If your the type of person who likes to tinker they aren't bad but if your expecting everything to work right away and be easy to set up stay away.

Good hardware, bad software at launch and before well polished firmware is available they will launch a new model and start the cycle all over again.
If your the type of person who likes to tinker they aren't bad but if your expecting everything to work right away and be easy to set up stay away.

I have to agree, at least for their non-wireless offerings (mostly)

As much as I really like them you're somewhat right. (Looking at you, Toughswitches). They also announced new mFi products with plugs and dimmers to compete with some home automation. Might give the mFi another jump start.

They've been doing well with the Unifi and Edgemax lines (both were half baked at first but have come along well enough.)

Their products are for people who are OK with tweaking things and not needing hand holding.

They've been doing well with the Unifi and Edgemax lines (both were half baked at first but have come along well enough.)

Their products are for people who are OK with tweaking things and not needing hand holding.

QFT. The 1stGen Unifi's were pretty good out of the box once they got into the 2.x firmwares, but the rest has been iffy at launch...

That being said, this is obviously pointed straight at the VOIP/WiFi deployment market. I'm very curious to see pricing on the 48 port units.

I like the idea of affordable switches with POE and 10gig uplink. With some of the plans I have for the house the 48 port could be what I need.

I just RMA'd an ERL last month and received a new model ERL in return (the old one died in a lightning strike). I've been very happy with my ERL's, I may have to check out the switch line.

I'd love to try one but it's hard to justify "upgrading" from my Nortel 5510 and 3COM L3 switches that I paid $75 each for :p .

I have to say their software is extremely easy to use, GUI friendly and easy to deploy in any environment. The unique aspect is that they all run the same front/backend AirOS software so their is no relearning from one unit to another (on APs and CPEs that is). The products can be used as APs, CPE, routers, bridges, dual feed network designs, built in shaping and even CLI connection limiting.

Their software makes running larger networks so much easier. Mostly AirControl server topology and mapping, managed switched, flow control for sensitive data and more.

Whether deploying large scale or tiny scale I often find ubnt products with 10x the features for less than what you'd buy a specific device for.

Unifi didn't gain my eyes too much bc of L2 vs L3 management. Other than that I have been happy. For a couple hundred bucks I replaced a 3 town midpoint PTP with a 12 mile direct shot.

They are a great company and rely on support from the forums a lot (which everything gets discussed, even employers are involved and make stickies)

Anyways, I've been very happy with all equipment and they bring at least 1 or more features to each device that help critical things other devices may want you to 'get the feel for'.

Very good pricing too, all software is build on good hardware running linux kernal.

I think the main problem I see with this switch line is that the throughput (26Gbps) is barely more than half speed of every port (24Gigabit ports, counting ingress and egress), and only 8k CAM space. The ratio is only slightly better with the 48P version. I think this would work well for a bunch of IP cameras that need PoE, but running this on a SAN or as more than an office switch may be too taxing for the hardware.

I think the main problem I see with this switch line is that the throughput (26Gbps) is barely more than half speed of every port (24Gigabit ports, counting ingress and egress), and only 8k CAM space. The ratio is only slightly better with the 48P version. I think this would work well for a bunch of IP cameras that need PoE, but running this on a SAN or as more than an office switch may be too taxing for the hardware.

I don't know who in the right mind would ever use anything like this switch for storage. The specs are fine for what it is targeted towards. If a network needs more throughput they can afford to buy a switch that can handle that.

I have to say their software is extremely easy to use, GUI friendly and easy to deploy in any environment. The unique aspect is that they all run the same front/backend AirOS software so their is no relearning from one unit to another (on APs and CPEs that is). The products can be used as APs, CPE, routers, bridges, dual feed network designs, built in shaping and even CLI connection limiting.

Their software makes running larger networks so much easier. Mostly AirControl server topology and mapping, managed switched, flow control for sensitive data and more.

Whether deploying large scale or tiny scale I often find ubnt products with 10x the features for less than what you'd buy a specific device for.

Unifi didn't gain my eyes too much bc of L2 vs L3 management. Other than that I have been happy. For a couple hundred bucks I replaced a 3 town midpoint PTP with a 12 mile direct shot.

They are a great company and rely on support from the forums a lot (which everything gets discussed, even employers are involved and make stickies)

Anyways, I've been very happy with all equipment and they bring at least 1 or more features to each device that help critical things other devices may want you to 'get the feel for'.

Very good pricing too, all software is build on good hardware running linux kernal.

Unifi works fine over L3...

Back