New TV Ideas 65" 4k or 1080p on up...NOT FOR GAMING!!!

Fire488

Limp Gawd
I am in the market for a new TV for my family room. I currently have a Samsung 61" DLP LED (No WiFi) from around 2007. It is starting to fail at this time and rather than fix a dinosaur I am going to upgrade. I have Verizon FIOS, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

I have been doing much research on this and have always felt that the Samsung's offer the best you can get for the money. I recently went into a BestBuy to check out the newer models and looking at all the TV's lined up with the same 4k feed, the Samsung's still looked the best in spite of the sales person pushing way overpriced Sony's. In my opinion the Samsung's destroyed the competition in almost every category. I went to Micro-Center and performed the same tests and again the Samsung's win big. I went to about 4 other retail stores with TV's lined up and receiving the same 4k feed and the Samsung's won every time with the LG's coming in as close second. Nothing i did was scientific I just went by what looked the best because in the end that is all that matters to me. Just about every retailer i went to was pushing Sony, LG and just about every other brand but the Samsung's even though the Samsung's looked the best. very confusing to say the least.

I will NOT be gaming on this TV as it will just be for watching.

The questions arise when it comes down to 4k or not 4k... Not much out there supports it and although the displays support 4k res, the hardware cannot render it on almost every TV out there....BUT and again it's a BIG BUTT....Side by side the 4k TV's absolutely destroy the 1080p's even in higher Hz models. This even occurs when both TV's are receiving a 1080p feed. 1080p looks sharper on the 4k displays. Go figure...

So it comes down to:
4k- Newest technology, looks better, expensive and not really supported yet.

1080p- Almost every standard 1080p is almost 2 years old now , they are not as clear, they are cheaper, they are supported.

Should I wait???

What are your suggestions [H]???

Thanks for the reply. I saw this model side by side with the much cheaper Samsung and as I said it was close but the curved Samsung did look better to me.

or put down an additional £2000 and get the version with FALD (apparently this is a "de luxe" feature nowadays)
lol, I wonder what the profit margins are for that one.
I'm sure adding a couple of additional LED's for 1 cent/piece and programming the dimming algorithms must be very, very expensive for poor Sammy

I'm not sure, but your old DLP may actually have better black levels than many of these newer edge lit sets.

I had the 4K Samsung HU8550 for a couple months, great picture but once you turned off the lights I noticed backlight bleeding and clouding. It annoyed me enough that I couldn't really appreciate the increase in clarity and sharpness you get from 4K.

For my money I would not get anything other than an LCD with full array local dimming (can be rather expensive, in Samsung's 2015 lineup only the JS9500 has it and that starts at $6K) or an OLED.

By the way- Vizio's 4K offerings actually have full array local dimming and are reasonably priced. The lack of 4:4:4 chroma on the P series was a deal breaker for many on these forums but for movie watching it wouldn't be an issue. I've not seen them myself so can't comment on quality but they have gotten favorable reviews. I think I would get one of those over paying $3K on some edge lit set.

Also, they are supposed to be coming out with an R series later this year with 384 LED zones, that is more than the Sharp Elite, one of the highest rated LCDs of all time.

Last edited:
With local dimming LCD, you still get bloom issues. Since you can only have so many zones, a bright object on a dark background will always have a glow versus say OLED that will have a perfect contrast/transition.

Ok I watched this thing get unboxed at BestBuy and plugged in and then connected to a feed which was 4k. This is best picture that I have ever seen bar none. It is very expensive for it's size though. I will wait a bit more to see if it holds up and then make a decision. Amazing set though.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65JS9500FXZA

Back